Stove Coal Issues

jschaefer7406

Post by jschaefer7406 » Sat. Feb. 14, 2015 7:11 am

Hello all,

Have been burning coal for just over 4 years and have always stuck to nut size. With the cold snap this weekend, I picked up 1/2 ton of stove size on Tuesday to try. Not overly happy with it, maybe you guys can help :).

Seems to actually burn COLDER than the nut did. Both from the same dealer, but I guess it's always possible they're from different breakers. Even running my primary air @ 1/2 open, the stack temp still won't exceed 200° (can exceed that with 1/3 air on nut coal). I've been under the impression that the larger coal would burn hotter, but for shorter time. Is it something I'm doing wrong, or bad coal?

For the record, most chunks are more like egg size or larger (5-6" rectangles average I'd say).

Any help appreciated, thanks!

P.S. - Also takes a long time to reach temp, can leave the primary wide open for over an hour and not over fire...

Joe

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Feb. 14, 2015 7:21 am

JS, I run a mix of Nut/Stove with outstanding results. My thoughts were I would have exactly the results you are experiencing with straight Stove. That stove of yours recommends Nut I believe as does my HITZER--a LITTLE mod. is always worth a shot-- Hotter for a shorter time???? just the opposite in my world!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Feb. 14, 2015 7:24 am

What size is the firebox in your stove?

jschaefer7406

Post by jschaefer7406 » Sat. Feb. 14, 2015 7:40 am

Thanks for the quick responses guys :).
Rob R. wrote:What size is the firebox in your stove?
Don't have exact dimensions, working til this afternoon. I'd guess 24x14 or so? Here is a pic I had from when we first cleaned her out and lit up:

Thanks,

Joe

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Feb. 14, 2015 7:47 am

Maybe it is too chunky, mix a little nut with it until you get a handle on what makes it happy. Probably needs more air than what you are used too.

jschaefer7406

Post by jschaefer7406 » Sat. Feb. 14, 2015 7:54 am

coaledsweat wrote:Maybe it is too chunky, mix a little nut with it until you get a handle on what makes it happy. Probably needs more air than what you are used too.
Thanks. So maybe try with the primary fully open? Have never burned like that for an extended time, was always nervous about over firing. Guess if it needs it though I'll try it, nothing to lose right? :D

Thanks,

Joe

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Feb. 14, 2015 8:58 am

jschaefer7406 wrote:
coaledsweat wrote:Maybe it is too chunky, mix a little nut with it until you get a handle on what makes it happy. Probably needs more air than what you are used too.
Thanks. So maybe try with the primary fully open? Have never burned like that for an extended time, was always nervous about over firing. Guess if it needs it though I'll try it, nothing to lose right? :D

Thanks,

Joe
Fully open sounds extreme, and could result in overheating and burning the house down. Try moderation first.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sat. Feb. 14, 2015 9:04 am

You could break up the 'egg/stove a little to try that also. I have never burned anything bigger than stove, but there sure is a lot of room for air around those big pieces. Try a few blows from a friendly sledge hammer (after you cover it...no eye injuries, please) and then load the entire blend into the beast. Lets you take out your frustrations on the coal, too! :idea:

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Feb. 14, 2015 9:05 am

Extreme indeed!!! PS, hate to say this but--it's you, NOT the coal ;)

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Feb. 14, 2015 9:29 am

I would not attempt to resize your coal unless you plan on a blackface stage show later in the day. :) Just mix some (don't over do it) nut in there to close up some gaps and give it almost double the air. Watch it and see how it responds and then you can make adjustments based on its reaction to the changes.

Just reread the OP, that is big coal!

jschaefer7406

Post by jschaefer7406 » Sat. Feb. 14, 2015 9:35 am

freetown fred wrote:Extreme indeed!!! PS, hate to say this but--it's you, NOT the coal ;)
Fred,

Not saying it ISN'T something I'm doing, that's what I'm here to find out. We're all learning, right? :)

Did try smashing some up last night and still had to run it with the primary fully open for ~2 hours just to reach 200° stack temp. Usually can exceed 300-400° after only 20-30 minutes with nut. That's what makes we wonder if its the coal itself. Again, same supplier. Maybe different source though?

Behaves like a draft issue, but the manometer hasn't moved off of .05-.06"...

Ordinarily, I'd agree that fully open is extreme (hence why I mentioned I have never run it that way before). This stuff burns so cold though that it may be what it takes. Don't worry, not going to burn the house down. I like to do experiments only when I'm home to monitor for several hours after adjustment ;).

Thanks guys,

Joe

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Feb. 14, 2015 10:06 am

Joe, unless you have a kick ass BED of RED HOT coal, that Stove size is almost impossible to get going--like suggested, get a few bags of nut, mix & have at it:) PS--I'd get a couple bags of self light charcoal & basically start from scratch.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Feb. 14, 2015 1:02 pm

5-6" chunks are too large to burn well by themselves in your unit. Lots of air comes up through the gaps...more than is needed for combustion. Next time you reload the stove put down a layer of the big pieces and top it off with nut.

jschaefer7406

Post by jschaefer7406 » Sat. Feb. 14, 2015 1:34 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, will give that a shot.

Joe

diamondinruff
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-160
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: wood stove in great room

Post by diamondinruff » Wed. Feb. 18, 2015 8:01 pm

I get nut and stove mixed at the breaker. They don't mix it, I just have them load alternating layers. I get it early in the season so that I don't get people upset waiting in line. Works very well for me.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”