Mammoth Materials Coal

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Sun. Dec. 14, 2014 9:27 pm

Well me and my dad both got three more ton each of mammoth coal after having great results with it last year. It was still only 150 a ton. However, this year we both are getting boat loads of ash and are having to run a lot more air to the fire to get a good burn. The heat output just doesn't feel as good either. Is anybody else using this coal this year?? Are you experiencing the same?? At the rate I'm plowing through coal I'm going to have to pick up more before the season is over. I was thinking of trying MALLARD CONTRACTING( old harmony) or DiRenzo coal. I hear everyone raving about Direnzo so I may give it a try as it is only a hair over an hour away. I did hear however they are on the high end for a ton. My dad runs a Harman mark 3 and I run an Harman elite insert. Both stoves burn coal great and similarly, so the common denominator has to be bad coal :cry: does anybody have experience burning DiRenzo or Mallard? Thanks

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Sun. Dec. 14, 2014 9:39 pm

I am burning Mammoth coal right now, and it is OK, no issues with heat output, but yes the ash content is very high. At least it's white ash.

I talked to the guy that was loading my truck when I bought it, back in september. He said they sell all coal they mine at their location until about mid-winter, then they mix it with coal purchased from other producers, since they can't keep up with demand from their own mine.

I did notice more fines than I like, and the coal was sized a little off, a bit in the large side.

BlackBetty06
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Mon. Dec. 15, 2014 6:10 am

I have noticed that some of the coal Is close to stove size which I don't mind. There aren't too many fines in mine. The first week I was burning my coal was red ash now it has changed to mostly white. I bought my coal in June.

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Mon. Dec. 15, 2014 5:47 pm

Please read the Lehigh Anthracitre review march 17 2014 there are 4 pages of compliments .All coal is not the same . jack

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Sun. Dec. 21, 2014 8:59 am

On Friday I went to a local coal yard (country meadows coal) in Lancaster. I picked up a quarter ton of Jeddo nut just to make a comparison to my mammoth coal. I put it in a barrel instead of the bin so I know it's completely seperate. I loaded the stove and the first thing I noticed was how much longer the coal took to ignite which I took as a good sign. Once it was going good I closed the stove up etc.,. So I burned it for a while etc. I went to do a shake down like normal and went to town. When I opened my ash door I had all kinds of fire in the ash pan. I guess I wasn't expecting so little ash!!! It's a nice fine white ash, not the big red chunky ash from mammoth. Also it's about 1/3 of the ash pan per Shake down vs. 3/4- full ash pan every shake down with the mammoth. Guess I learned a lesson :cry: just wanted to share my findings. Might try Direnzo and Lehigh yet and then pick which breaker I will be visiting this spring. :roll:

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Dec. 21, 2014 9:09 am

I've said all of this in a different thread, but to keep in in the family: My Stockton (one source for Mammoth) anthracite is burning with about the same energy as Blaschak, but the Stockton is plagued with a serious overabundance of fines and small chunks (is the technical term for this "slack"?). I don't find the Stockton ash content to differ much in appearance or content vs. Blaschak. If anything my load of Stockton may have a tad less ashes than the Blaschak I have burned in the past.

Is Mammoth Materials something different from Stockton?

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Sun. Dec. 21, 2014 10:35 am

Mammoth materials coal comes from their own mine/breaker. They are located in about 4 miles from the minersville exit on route 81.

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Sun. Dec. 21, 2014 10:38 am

I should add that country meadows coal carries coal from 5 different places. Stockton is one of them I believe. They told me it is their "softest and easiest to burn" from their anthracite selection and that it leaves a redish brown ash and a higher volume of it. Sounds very similar to the coal I got from mammoth materials.

Starting Out
Other Heating: Burnham Oil Boiler with Beckett Gun

Post by Starting Out » Sun. Dec. 21, 2014 10:45 am

If you want to know about Direnzo, check out the web site. http://www.direnzocoal.com if you e-mail them they will tell you the current price and the ash content. No guess work . They are also not far off 81 on the 209 exit.

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Sun. Dec. 21, 2014 12:13 pm

Good to know!! I will call tomorrow

Starting Out
Other Heating: Burnham Oil Boiler with Beckett Gun

Post by Starting Out » Sun. Dec. 21, 2014 1:07 pm

In the search box in the upper right of this forum, type in Direnzo and check out all the reviews.
There is a member who lives by you in Denver pa. He is mof1964 send him a PM and ask him how he likes it.
He had somebody haul him 7.5 ton. He will even tell you who hauled it for him.

mr.t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: clayton 1600

Post by mr.t » Sun. Dec. 21, 2014 7:18 pm

i have used direnzo and Lehigh coal both worth the trip and I have to drive about 2hrs to get it

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Sun. Dec. 21, 2014 7:31 pm

I picked up some DiRenzo pea size coal this past week. Very clean, well sized, and low,low ash content. Very pleased! Attached is a pic of the coal (some debris from my truck bed mixed in, coal was super clean going in), and a pic of my DS Kozy King firebox about 30 minutes in to a call for heat from the t-stat.
image.jpg

Direnzo pea

.JPG | 216.5KB | image.jpg
image.jpg

DiRenzo Pea call for heat

.JPG | 80.9KB | image.jpg

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Dec. 21, 2014 8:18 pm

Price per ton ? How much did you get on your load ?

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Sun. Dec. 21, 2014 9:18 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:Price per ton ? How much did you get on your load ?
It was $170 per ton for pea, the price varied based on size. I got a small load since I was just wanting to test it out, 920 lbs for $78.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”