Bit Coal in North Eastern Ohio

Smitty275
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Currently a Warm Morning 414 A. Previously had a Hot Blast 1321
Coal Size/Type: To Be Determined
Other Heating: propane

Post by Smitty275 » Wed. Nov. 12, 2014 9:57 pm

Started burning coal last year. Tried some from an unknown source a guy I work with gave me. Was small and hard to burn. Went to Thompson Brothers to buy Egg but they only had large stoker and lump. Since the lump was large, I mean really large I got the large Stoker. It was better than what I had that was given to me. But still was hard to get to burn nice. I did add a barometric dampner which helped a lot. BUT, I'd like to find Egg or lump that is not so large as what is available at Thompson. I don't want to be breaking it up. Already working 60hrs a week. Don't want even more work to do at home. Thompson does not know when they will have Egg in stock again. Suggestions please.......................

Smitty275
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Currently a Warm Morning 414 A. Previously had a Hot Blast 1321

Post by Smitty275 » Wed. Nov. 12, 2014 9:59 pm

Guess I should add that I live in the Canton/Alliance area.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Nov. 12, 2014 10:27 pm

Come on East a little into PA a short ways...follow OH St Rt 14 into PA, where it changes into PA Rt 51, it's not too far. :) You can keep the tax money, PA doesn't tax coal. :)
McGiever wrote:Western PA, 25 miles NW of Pittsburgh,PA

Dettinger Coal Yard Rt 51 Beaver Falls PA 724-843-3773. Call to verify he will be there. About 1 mile from I-376 Chippewa exit, go south on Rt.51 Chippewa/Beaver Falls.

He also has Hard Coal bagged & bulk. :)
This guy is 80 something and is the 3rd or 4th generation selling coal at this location. 8-)

Smitty275

Post by Smitty275 » Sat. Nov. 15, 2014 8:08 am

McGiever, I just called and going to give him a try. He has egg which is 2-5". Nothing larger. We'll see how that works out. It's about an hours drive. Should be there about 9:30 or so this morning.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Nov. 15, 2014 8:12 am

Try contacting Central Fuel Co. in New Philadelphia, OH.

Smitty275

Post by Smitty275 » Sat. Nov. 15, 2014 6:42 pm

Bought 1800# of egg at Dettingers. $140/ton. Pa. may not tax it but it is more expensive than at Thompson's. The coal I got today came from a mine near Morgan Town, W.Va. We'll see how it does. Only filled my hopper about 1/3. So have lots of room left. May get a load from another location to put on the half that has nothing in it so I can do direct comparison.

Smitty275

Post by Smitty275 » Sat. Sep. 05, 2015 3:43 pm

I never followed up last year on my coal buying and burning experiences. SO I'll catch up a little here. After getting the Egg at Dettinger's a few weeks later Thompsons had Egg in the Tipple. So I went and got 2200# there so I'd have two sources of same sized coal to directly compare to one another. The coal from Thompsons was much better than the other. The coal from Dettinger's would coke over really bad. If I didn't get back down to break it up in time it was a real bear to do so. The Thompson's would burn just fine with no other work than shutting the air down after a half hour.

SO............on to this year. After burning through almost all of my 2 tons of coal from last year I decided to call Thompsons and see what they had. Lucky me. They said that the Egg was running on the large size and the lump was averaging foot ball sized. AND both were in the tipple so it was nice and dry. I went out this morning and was served by Dan Thompson the owner. Asked me what I wanted and I told him what I had for a stove and what I thought I wanted. We talked about it and he said "lets run out some lump and if it's too big we'll finish with egg. Well, the lump mix was really nice. Some fist sized stuff, some a little bigger than a football. Most of it half way in between. So he loaded me up and we talked a little more. Cost was $128/ton. My old '82 Olds powered C10 handled 2800# very nicely.

After I swept the bed out I had about half a 5 gallon bucket of fines which I forgot to take a picture of.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Sep. 05, 2015 4:32 pm

Smitty275,We get alot of one-shot Voyagers here on the Board.....

Can't Thank You enough for getting back to Us,with Pic's,no less ! I'm glad You took the time to relate both Your findings,and the level of service that You've received. Stick around,as The Season's Eve is upon us,and I'm sure that You'll be seeing and hearing more from Our "Bit" Crowd. A fine Gentleman that goes by the name of Berlin has been a great help to many. He,and others,compose Our "Bit & Bites" Crew that gets into the various Soft Coals,including Eastern Kentucky Bit........I've got to look backward and see just what You're burning Your Bit in ! Take Care,and stick around ! :up:

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”