Need Coal? Post It Here! Archive 1

BurninCoalInRI

Post by BurninCoalInRI » Tue. Aug. 14, 2007 12:51 am

Im in RI and might be interested in a few tons of rice on a group buy, bagged

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Tue. Aug. 14, 2007 10:42 am

I could use 10 ton of Anthracite delivered to my house in western NY, zip code 14715. If I can get a couple people locally that need anthracite I'll have my buddy pick up a 26 ton load. If I get a full truckload my cost is $180/ton delivered to my driveway. Gotta love diesel prices :shock:

Jersey John
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 1500
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Regency Wood Stove

Post by Jersey John » Mon. Sep. 10, 2007 10:01 pm

There is a company west of me nearly 40 miles that has loose coal for $205.00 for pick up only. Bagged comes out to about $309. Any chance anyone near Oak Ridge, NJ has access to delivery closer that I could pick up?

I am at the point of purchasing my Hitzer Stove, but cannot justify the purchase without a consistent supplier for future heating seasons. Too bad our host cannot make the trip into New Jersey, as I am sure even with the added fuel to deliver, would be cheaper than anyone else.

Look forward to a few leads...or names of suppliers in the Port Jervis area.

Thanks!

Jersey John

Post by Jersey John » Tue. Sep. 11, 2007 4:40 pm

Well, since I wrote inquiring about a supplier, I have located 2-3. Having in fact called our host, NJ is significantly further east than anyone in Eastern PA. delivers to.

So then, tell me if these prices are in order with those of you who can get a constant supply delivered.

In NJ, I can go and pick up at one location, about 50 miles away, loose coal for $205.00 a ton, or $6.19 for a 40lb. bag. In another location, around 35 miles away, I can pick up for $180.00/ ton or $12.00 for a 75.00 bag. They will also deliver the loose coal for $260.00 a ton.

From another supplier much further south in Jersey, I was told that the coal supplied by the second dealer above is not very good. In the case of this dealer, he will sell a ton of coal for $235.00 + delivery, though I am really too far north for him. On the other hand, he has a property north of me about 25 miles, where he said he could bring 50lb bags for $7.75 per bag.

If I was willing to drive with someone's truck to Scranton area, I could probably get a ton for around $130.00. Only, I don't have any friends with trucks that can handle any more. To drive all the way out there for a ton is not cost effective.

So, is there anyone in North Jersey getting a large quantity of coal that wouldn't mind adding another couple or so tons? Are the prices above reasonable?

If the coal is questionable, and driving to Scranton is out of the question, I may have to continue burning wood.

Thanks for any advice you can share.

With that particular dealer,

ken

Post by ken » Wed. Sep. 12, 2007 11:47 am

couldn't you make a trailer with some sides on it and figure how big it has to be to for the amount you need for the winter and make the trip worth it. then every year you would have the trailer to use. maybe rent a u-haul trailer that is enclosed. I don't know the weight they can carry. might be something to look into.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Wed. Sep. 12, 2007 2:14 pm

ken wrote:couldn't you make a trailer with some sides on it and figure how big it has to be to for the amount you need for the winter and make the trip worth it. then every year you would have the trailer to use. maybe rent a u-haul trailer that is enclosed. I don't know the weight they can carry. might be something to look into.
you could not use a enclosed trailer there would be no way to load it must be a open top so the coal chute at the coal breaker or front end loader could fill it

Jersey John

Post by Jersey John » Thu. Sep. 13, 2007 7:01 pm

Well, seems my little car has transmission trouble, and won't be hauling any coal soon...thinking maybe I should pick up a beater 1 ton pick up for making runs to Pa when I need coal.

However, thanks to another member in the area, I have been given a couple of leads for affordable delivered coal, though I still have to find if I within the delivery circle of the supplier....and also have been given a few good prices from an Agway about 35 miles west where I could pick up bagged coal during the season.

My biggest decision now is to decide if I want to burn coal only in my basement, or coal in the basement and wood in the living room. The cost of two stoves together approaching $3,000 doesn't make much sense. Not if the reason for burning is to save money.

Anyway, though the supply is limited in NJ, there are dealers just over the border into Pa that I can pick up bagged coal, and even save a dollar a bag if I purchase a ton of bags at one time.

Thanks for your continued advice.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Thu. Sep. 13, 2007 10:46 pm

Hey jersey john find a cheap truck come up my way I can take you right to the coal breakers you will pay 130.00 to 140.00 a ton depending on which one we go to pm me for more info give me you zip take care talk to you later :)

davebehrens

Post by davebehrens » Sun. Sep. 30, 2007 11:32 am

I have been buying good quality anthracite in 50 lb. bags from AGEL Coal on West Locust Ave. in Scranton, PA for three years now. Their price is $4.75/50lb bag, no minimum. They also load loose coal from a drive thru house, and have pea, nut and rice loose or bagged.

These guys are basically big rig truckers, and will deliver anywhere, in any amount, if the price is right. I suggest you give them a call.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Tue. Oct. 02, 2007 7:53 pm

Where to get quality coal in Plymouth, Mass. ?

Looking for good quality coal at a good price
Believe it or not, I have had good luck with bagged coal from Aubuchan Hardware for a few years but now want it delivered. Am also toying with the idea of building a bin & buying in bulk. Any thoughts?

komiko

Post by komiko » Wed. Oct. 03, 2007 7:58 am

stove & nut for 6.75 at the local grain store at the moment. Central Northern NH, White Mountains...any clues appreciated

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Wed. Oct. 03, 2007 4:57 pm

Anyone recomend/critique this company?

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Oct. 03, 2007 5:09 pm

Devil 5052: which company??

GL

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Thu. Oct. 04, 2007 7:15 am

Sorry...That's Eastern Ice & Coal in Brockton, Mass

BurninCoalInRI

Post by BurninCoalInRI » Wed. Oct. 17, 2007 1:54 pm

Just called Eastern Ice and Coal. They do not carry rice. Smallest is pea. Just wonder if my Harman mag stoker would run pea or not?

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”