Coal Quality From Various Sources

STU PIDASSO
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarm 502

Post by STU PIDASSO » Sun. Feb. 24, 2008 7:00 pm

Well because I was Born Raised & live in the Hart of Anthracite Country If you PM me I will Give you some info All of the Coal Breakers we are talking about sell Bulk Loose Not Bagged coal you must bag it yourself if you want bagged If you have a truck or & A trailer Just Take a ride up here and I will take you to the Breakers[/quote]

JC

Just wanted to let you know it was 4 Dergrees here this morning. I have had no problems with Superior's coal- it burns hot and complete to a dust. yeah maybe more ash , but I don't mind. Basically everything you told me about the chacteristics of this coal is true. I will be back in the late spring for that tractor trailer load. I am done with poor quality and delivery service in my area. this will give me a sense of security.

Dave

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Mon. Feb. 25, 2008 5:46 pm

Dallas wrote:The Hudson coal doesn't even make enough heat to keep the distribution fan running! :x Maybe, I'll try to burn it up in August.
OK, so the Hudson coal went down the road last night. By 11:30AM, this morning, I had a load of pea from Casey-Kassa in the bin. It has been burning fine all day and making heat as called for by the new thermostatically controlled damper actuator.

In talking to Vince, the weighmaster/loader/clerk/janitor at Casey-Kassa, I told him of the problem I was having with the former nut coal not making any heat, and he said, "I know exactly what you are talking about". He said, "There were no gases in the coal". This is probably confirmed by the fact, that there were no blue flames present, just red coals. Because Vince has been in the coal business since 1947, I put quite a lot of stock in what he has to say about burning coal.

Vince also said, "that even though the coal is processed with magnetite, some of the shale gets through, but even that, will burn". I can probably agree with this, but I don't believe it goes to ash. :?:

I'll reluctantly check on the burn properties of the Hudson nut, when my mud box is returned.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Feb. 28, 2008 1:32 am

Dallas wrote:
Dallas wrote:The Hudson coal doesn't even make enough heat to keep the distribution fan running! :x Maybe, I'll try to burn it up in August.
OK, so the Hudson coal went down the road last night. By 11:30AM, this morning, I had a load of pea from Casey-Kassa in the bin. It has been burning fine all day and making heat as called for by the new thermostatically controlled damper actuator.
I often got that complaint from customers but was exact opposite companies. :) We stopped going to C-K about 15 years ago. Too much inconsistency in the product and just to add there is lot of barley in the rice. Not sure how it is now.
I can probably agree with this, but I don't believe it goes to ash. :?:
Not completely no, some old timers I delivered too preferred a little bone in it. Their assumption was that it held the fire and heat better. Whether true or not probably won't make a difference with modern stove.

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Thu. Feb. 28, 2008 8:14 am

Richard S. wrote:Not completely no, some old timers I delivered too preferred a little bone in it. Their assumption was that it held the fire and heat better.
My father always said, "Some stone in the garden was good, as they held the heat".

So, what do you do with a load of coal, which won't make heat? It's sitting there looking bright red and you're freezing. Any of the coal, which comes from "different old mines and veins", probably has a large inconsistency to it. I believe, it's pretty hard to be sure of what you are getting.

bender

Post by bender » Fri. Feb. 29, 2008 2:56 pm

Hello all, I am a new user and am trying to find out where to buy coal?
I am in Northern Illinois and cannot seem to find any information anwhere.
Can anyone out there help me out?
Thank you in advance!

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Mon. Mar. 03, 2008 2:41 pm

Hobels Coal in Coplay, PA has quality, low ash, and cleaned deep-mined rice coal from the Centralia area for currently $200/ton. Delivers to the general Lehigh Valley area. Points farther have a delivery charge added. 610 262-3231

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Mar. 03, 2008 4:53 pm

I hope that price of $200/ton includes delivery for a reasonable distance... Most breakers sell their coal for $130-140/ton at the breaker..

Greg L

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Mon. Mar. 03, 2008 5:52 pm

stoker-man wrote:Hobels Coal in Coplay, PA has quality, low ash, and cleaned deep-mined rice coal from the Centralia area for currently $200/ton. Delivers to the general Lehigh Valley area. Points farther have a delivery charge added. 610 262-3231
The only Deep mine coal in the Centralia PA area is UAE Harmony mine 130.00 a ton Picked up Loose
7 to 9 % Ash content Red ash Lykens # 2 vein and the coal is Dry not washed it will have fines in it All other coal in the Centralia area will be Surace mininig Or Refuse Coal & If Hobels Coal in Coplay Pa And If they are using this Company http://www.centraliacoal.com/a5.html Then you will not know where the coal is coming From Because they are a Coal Broker Company They buy from who ever is the lowest in Price Then They ship it out To the Consumer / dealer

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Mon. Mar. 03, 2008 8:47 pm

He sells to people who don't/can't pick up at the mine.

hell fire

Post by hell fire » Sun. Mar. 09, 2008 11:52 am

can anyone tell me where the UAE mine is located or phone # for open hours. ned

spc

Post by spc » Sun. Mar. 09, 2008 12:18 pm

hell fire wrote:can anyone tell me where the UAE mine is located or phone # for open hours. ned
UAE is placemark 2:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa= ... dd2744fc03

coalstoves
Location: Mt.Carmel Pa. Located on The Western Middle Anthracite Field

Post by coalstoves » Sun. Mar. 09, 2008 1:10 pm

hell fire wrote:can anyone tell me where the UAE mine is located or phone # for open hours. ned
UAE Harmony Mine
1 Harmony Rd, Mt Carmel, PA
(570) 339-4090‎

mwcougar

Post by mwcougar » Mon. Mar. 10, 2008 7:32 pm

i just picked up 2 1/2 ton today. pea bin was getting a little low. :| we stopped at charlie brown on the way back home.... plus diesel is 14 cents cheaper down there. :mad2: we like going to harmony. but next load may be from Lenigs :roll: would love to mix the two..... if we end up going to reading I may get a load of summit which I like best.

jersey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warmmorning 400
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by jersey » Wed. Mar. 12, 2008 7:25 am

jetto should have posted here friend was very :D with the coal from the jetto he buys pea he likes the burn and he remarked about the size( larger little fines) it's out by hazelton,far for me 120/ton pick up anybody have feed back , mabe good for next year thanks jersey

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Mar. 12, 2008 8:50 am

Jeddo coal can be pretty iffy.. I guess it depends on when you buy. I've burned some pretty bad Jeddo coal... from a supplier in N. Indiana. He had so many complaints that he stopped selling Jeddo, after 5-7 years of bussiness with them.. He found another source this year.

BUT.. several recent reports of Jeddo coal have been very complimentary... So maybe Jeddo stopped reclaiming old coal from coal piles or found an new source or vein of coal.. who knows.. But the recent reports say it is good coal.

The most consistant coal with virtually guaranteed quality is Superior, UAE, Summit and one of the Lennig's breakers.

My next load will probably be Superior or maybe Lennigs.

Greg L

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”