Coal Quality From Various Sources

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Tue. Feb. 03, 2009 8:45 pm

kevinp wrote:1440 tons? Are you a retail sales/delivery person?

By the way, I heard a few days ago but can not confirm the info. Is the Greenwood Breaker closed again?
That is 1440 lbs of coal like my post states :lol: No I have not heard that the Greenwood breaker is closed or broken down
again.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post by coal berner » Tue. Feb. 03, 2009 8:52 pm

deerhunter1225 wrote:
coalstoves wrote: I use the Blaschak in my Victory it has a preference, Blaschak is 16 miles away and costs $165, the Harman will burn anything and I'm fortunate that the lowest ash coal available is 8 blocks from the house and costs $130 a ton .
Ol' Stoves might be stubborn but he ain't stupid
Would you mind giving us the name and contact info on the 130.00 per ton coal? May I ask what model Harman that you are using. Its good to know a model of coal stove that will burn all types of coal good. Thank you, Deerhunter
Deerhunter this Post is two season old that 130 a ton is now 145.00 a ton From UAE Harmony Mine . Also the Original
Author of the post above coalstoves is no longer a member of this Forum.

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Tue. Feb. 03, 2009 9:12 pm

Be careful of that UAE coal. I don't know if I like it. Instead of dumping my ash bucket one a day to once every two days. I'm getting 3-days before I have to dump it. My neighbor is taking my ash's for his driveway and my driveway is getting icy. I think I"m going to switch back over to the other stuff I was burning.

Razzler
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Razzler » Tue. Feb. 03, 2009 10:30 pm

coal berner wrote:coalstoves is no longer a member of this Forum.
What ever happend to coalstoves? Did he get the boot :nono: or just get pissed off :mad: and quit?

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Tue. Feb. 03, 2009 11:54 pm

Razzler wrote:
coal berner wrote:coalstoves is no longer a member of this Forum.
What ever happend to coalstoves? Did he get the boot :nono: or just get pissed off :mad: and quit?
Your First Guess .

rrob311
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading Allegheny
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo #2 Coal Wood
Other Heating: Monitor 441 Kerosene heater

Post by rrob311 » Wed. Feb. 04, 2009 2:01 pm

I have noticed with the Superior coal is that it looks like graphite because it is so black. Lenig coal is shiny but not quite as shiny as superior. Hudson coal is not that shiny, most of it is dull and blue colored. I have yet to see a coal that looks like superior. It is easiest to compare the look of it to graphite which I have read is what coal turns into after it is done being coal and gets compressed further.

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Wed. Feb. 04, 2009 7:40 pm

Next month I'm going to send my coal guy down for next years coal.What is the policy for out of state buyers? Is Superior coal selling 5 or 6 ton loads to out of state people yet? What about the other breakers?
DON

efo141

Post by efo141 » Thu. Feb. 05, 2009 1:17 am

I can only comment on one brand of coal I have used in my short coal burning history. I bought a 1/2 ton of bagged Conwall nut coal from a person who stopped burning coal. Also picked up 3 1/2 ton of Mystery coal loose Pea size. The cornwall coal sucks compared to the mystery coal. I have been burning both in my hand fired boiler since Nov.Looks unwashed to me,alot of fines in every bag, it wont shake through the grates, when it does the ash chunks are hard almost like soft rock. The coal go from stove size down to powder. The mystery coal has alot of sticks and wood chunks and alot of flat pieces but it burns hotter shakes down nice and is washed. I don't know where Cornwall gets there coal from but I am not impressed.

MINO

Post by MINO » Fri. Feb. 06, 2009 9:51 am

My friend 3 days ago got 1 ton of rice from uae Harmony and previously he used this coal as well as I in our EFM520's. and it burned excellent until he gave me a call to come check out what (the new coal from Harmony) is doing> the coal burned and created a clinker straight up off of the pot to the roof of the boiler like a huge popcorn ball :shock: :shock: :shock: for the and outened the fire in the pot and jammed up the stoker mechanism and sheared the pins on the worm assmembly :cry: after getting everything back to normal it did it again and again i> I get my coal in the summer to load up it makes me wonder if I should do that again I cant imagine shoveling 10 tons and having that problem. I think I might be looking for a new supplier also maybe blashack coal I know it is a litter more pricier but closer to my house and 35 more a ton seems to be worth the aggrivation of saving some money.

p.s. we also tried different settings and it keeps doing it the only thing u have to keep up is poking the clinker apart. and the grates and gaskets are fine this boiler is on the 5th ton ever burned in it.

my solution is to try maybe mixing blashack coal with it until the harmony coal is gone to control the fusing of ash. any solutions are welcomed :D

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Fri. Feb. 06, 2009 11:35 am

BIG BEAM wrote:Next month I'm going to send my coal guy down for next years coal.What is the policy for out of state buyers? Is Superior coal selling 5 or 6 ton loads to out of state people yet? What about the other breakers?
DON
Call first before you go that goes for all of the coal breaker's

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Fri. Feb. 06, 2009 12:02 pm

MINO wrote:My friend 3 days ago got 1 ton of rice from uae Harmony and previously he used this coal as well as I in our EFM520's. and it burned excellent until he gave me a call to come check out what (the new coal from Harmony) is doing> the coal burned and created a clinker straight up off of the pot to the roof of the boiler like a huge popcorn ball :shock: :shock: :shock: for the and outened the fire in the pot and jammed up the stoker mechanism and sheared the pins on the worm assmembly :cry: after getting everything back to normal it did it again and again i> I get my coal in the summer to load up it makes me wonder if I should do that again I cant imagine shoveling 10 tons and having that problem. I think I might be looking for a new supplier also maybe blashack coal I know it is a litter more pricier but closer to my house and 35 more a ton seems to be worth the aggrivation of saving some money.

p.s. we also tried different settings and it keeps doing it the only thing u have to keep up is poking the clinker apart. and the grates and gaskets are fine this boiler is on the 5th ton ever burned in it.

my solution is to try maybe mixing blashack coal with it until the harmony coal is gone to control the fusing of ash. any solutions are welcomed :D
I burned 2110lbs From Dec to Jan Buck I had Know Problem except you should Screen it there where Pea size mixed in with it . Not Good They are not cleaning the loader buckets out good enough when hauling the different sizes.So you will
get bigger or smaller sizes mixed in.The coal is freezing to the bucket inside in this cold weather. I Just Picked up
1440lbs on Monday of there Rice to try it out. It had a lot of Nut size mixed in with it and one big rocks
4.5" x 5.5" x 1/2" Not good :shock: As Far as ASH Fusion / Clinkers I had not had a Problem . If you are getting that your air is to high lower it and leave it run for a day and see if it stops clinkering. There Ash Fusion Temps on there coal is 2600f or at least it was.You will also notice the ash content is higher then it was more crunchy and a darker red then a light pink Powder like it was.There are In very deep in the mine same vein of coal lykens # 2 but the vein can change along the way you can get more or less ash content sulfur content flyash content fusion temps and so on .

test_fire

Post by test_fire » Sat. Feb. 28, 2009 3:11 pm

Has anyone ever tried C.N.Y Coal? I am in the Syracuse area and saw an ad for them. They pick up coal in PA. and bag it themselves. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

tigger

Post by tigger » Wed. Apr. 29, 2009 5:17 pm

Hi... I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if this is the 10,000 time the question has been asked.

I'm in Massachusetts so we get what coal we can get. Last year I burned Kimmel (pea) in an Effel Arden hand-fed hopper with good results. It isn't clear that I'll be able to get Kimmel again, most of the dealers are selling Blaschak. If I go the Blaschak route what am I in for? more/less ash, more/less heat?

thanks

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Sat. May. 09, 2009 6:28 am

tigger wrote:Hi... I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if this is the 10,000 time the question has been asked.

I'm in Massachusetts so we get what coal we can get. Last year I burned Kimmel (pea) in an Effel Arden hand-fed hopper with good results. It isn't clear that I'll be able to get Kimmel again, most of the dealers are selling Blaschak. If I go the Blaschak route what am I in for? more/less ash, more/less heat?

thanks
Blaschak is good coal ,a lot of people here burn it . I have used it and it burned really well . Dave

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Sat. May. 09, 2009 6:40 am

tigger wrote: most of the dealers are selling Blaschak. If I go the Blaschak route what am I in for? more/less ash, more/less heat?
thanks
I used Blaschak Rice last year. Very happy with it. Nice and clean.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”