Coal Quality From Various Sources

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Feb. 10, 2008 6:50 pm

Based on my (un)scientific testing, I have found the coal from Superior of exceptionally high quality.
Burns much better in both stoves. It was worth everything I went through to get it. Of course I have no money left over for food or anything like that, but I have 5 Amber Lagers and 3/4 bottle of JD left.

coalstoves
Location: Mt.Carmel Pa. Located on The Western Middle Anthracite Field

Post by coalstoves » Sun. Feb. 10, 2008 7:19 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote: Why didn't you get Blaschak???? :twisted:
I use the Blaschak in my Victory it has a preference, Blaschak is 16 miles away and costs $165, the Harman will burn anything and I'm fortunate that the lowest ash coal available is 8 blocks from the house and costs $130 a ton .
Ol' Stoves might be stubborn but he ain't stupid

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Feb. 10, 2008 7:22 pm

coalstoves wrote:
Wood'nCoal wrote: Why didn't you get Blaschak???? :twisted:
I use the Blaschak in my Victory it has a preference, Blaschak is 16 miles away and costs $165, the Harman will burn anything and I'm fortunate that the lowest ash coal available is 8 blocks from the house and costs $130 a ton .
Ol' Stoves might be stubborn but he ain't stupid
Honest question-Why can't you burn the Harmony coal in the Victory? That's a $35/ton price difference.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Feb. 10, 2008 7:33 pm

$35/ton will buy a lot of reloading supplies !!

:D :D :) :lol:

But seriously, what does the Victory do/not do with low ash/red ash coal like from UAE?? ANd what does the white ash coal from Blaschak burn like in it??...
Please be real specific, I'm truely currious... I thought hand feeds were not that particular... Or is the Victory a hopper feed with an unusual firebox design ???

Greg

coalstoves

Post by coalstoves » Sun. Feb. 10, 2008 7:33 pm

The Red ash coal requires more draft to burn, most days it wouldn't be a problem with the Vicky but I can sometimes given atmospheric conditions be plagued with marginal or even less than marginal draft and the Red ash just lays there and makes CO gas like crazy . I have read that historically Red Ash was favored in the NY area and by folks who used open grates to burn coal and the closed furnaces and stoves preferred the white ash some 90 years later I concur . Blaschak has a nice blend that offers the best of both and Vicky burns it up to outside temps of 60 deg when the chimney is really struggling to keep an adequate draft .

PS Hopper feed like a Franco B

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Feb. 10, 2008 7:38 pm

I see. Don't have that problem here, as it seems my chimney is capable of producing enough of a draft to vacuum up insects and small animals.

coalstoves

Post by coalstoves » Sun. Feb. 10, 2008 7:45 pm

All in all it's my chimney cause the final year I burned the original Franco B at my Moms the last month or so was a steady diet of UAE Harmony Pea in 5 gal buckets cause I had the bin all cleaned out for rice and the change over to the Harman .

I agree with the reloading supplies stepped backwards when they told me what lead shot was goin fer a bag these days

mike

Post by mike » Sun. Feb. 10, 2008 8:29 pm

I too have found that my boiler seems to like the white ash coal a little better. I had a easier time getting a complete burn with the white ash coal I'm burning now then the red ash I was burning before. Plus with the red ash coal sometimes the ash would bridge the gap between the firepot and the ashpit. Not a big deal if you catch it early enough but could cause a bit of a mess if you don't.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sun. Feb. 10, 2008 11:04 pm

coalstoves wrote:
coal berner wrote:No Hegins
They are selling the breaker and the Quality is not good, using up what is laying around .

Go to either Superior or Summit Much Better Quality

Superior coal is Pulling out of the Primrose & Buck mountain veins.

Summit is Pulling out of the following veins

▪ The Primrose
▪ The Holmes,
▪ The Monmouth Top, Middle and Bottom split
▪ The Skidmore
▪ The Seven Foot
▪ The lower Four Foot
▪ Buck Mountain
Seems the Summit would give the best blend cause of the variety of coal what do you think

lets See what Blaschak Veins are And Others

Columbia County Lkens Valley # 1 Threw # 7 Vein DEP 2006 Production Report 99.502 Tons

Northumberland County Orchard Vein Primrose Vein Rough Vein Holems Vein Mammoth Top split Mammoth Middle split Vein
Skidmore Vein DEP 2006 Production Report 43.862 Tons

Schuylkill County Little Tracy Vein 2006 DEP Production Report 2.862 Tons Primrose to the little Buck Mountain Vein
2006 DEP Production Report 1.685 Tons

Columbia County UAE Harmony Mine Lykens # 2 Vein 2006 Dep Production Report 173.448 Tons

Schuylkill County Superior coal B & B Anthracite Coal co. Buck mountain Vein 2006 Dep Production Report 16.266 Tons -

Orchard Coal co. Inc. Orchard coal mine Orchard Vein 2006 Dep Production Report 11.931 Tons

R & D Coal co. R & D Coal Buck Matain Mine Orchard Vein Primrose Vein Buck Mountain Vein 2006 Dep Production Report
13.665 Tons

Schuylkill County Summit Anthracite Inc. Summit Anthracite Feather mine Skidmore vein Seven Foot vein Mammoth Top split Vein Mammoth Middle split Vein Lower Four Foot Vein Buck Mountain Vein 2006 Dep Producton Report 154 Tons

Schuylkill County Summit Anthracite Inc. Summit Anthracite Brockton Mine Primrose Vein Holmes Vein Mammoth Top split Vein Mammoth middle split Vein Mammoth Bottom split Vein Skidmore Vein 2006 Dep Production Report 5.159 Tons

Schuylkill County Hegins Mining co. S & M Coal co. Dauphin county S & M Coal Buck Mountain Mine Buck Mountain Vein
2006 Dep Production Report 3.111 Tons Plus a mix of Unknown Stripping Coal

Northumberland County Lenig Calvin V Coal co. Bear Gap Coal co. N & L Slope Mine Lykens Valley # 4 Vein 2006 Dep Production Report 4.128 Tons Chestnut Coal co. Chestnut Coal 11 Slope Mine Upper Skidmore Vein Middle Skidmore Vein
2006 Dep Production Report 7.621 Tons FKZ Coal Inc # 1 Mine Mammoth Middle split Vein 2006 Dep Production Reprot
25 Tons

Schuylkill County Reading Anthracite co. Reading Anthracite Wadesville P33 Mine Orchard Vein Primrose Vein Holmes Vein
Mammoth Top split Vein 2006 Dep Production Report 42.273 Tons

Schuylkill County Reading Anthracite co. Reading Anthracite Buck Run & Pine Knot Mine Primrose Vein Holmes Vein Mammoth Top Split Vein 2006 Dep Production Report 12.199 Tons

Schuylkill County Reading Anthracite co. Reading Anthracite Ellangowan Bank 45A Mine 2006 Dep Refuse Report 1.275.338 Tons :shock:

I will add on others at a later date I am Tired Going to bed

coalstoves

Post by coalstoves » Sun. Feb. 10, 2008 11:19 pm

:wtf: :wine:

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post by coal berner » Sun. Feb. 10, 2008 11:45 pm

Matthaus wrote:
coalstoves wrote: Seems the Summit would give the best blend cause of the variety of coal what do you think
Based on my experience with Summit, Lenig, Superior, and UAE the best burning blend is Superior and UAE, it combines the best heat with the low ash of UAE. Burning by them selves the following was observed at ~ 40% feed rate on the Coal-trol and measuring stove temp with a Fluke laser thermometer just above the upper door and to the right: (all ash % and temps are approximate averages, interpolated by me :P )
Summit about 12% ash and 485*F stove temp
Superior about 15% ash and 585*F stove temp
UAE about 7% ash and 450*F stove temp
Lenig about 11% ash and 525 *F stove temp
The above is in no way intended to be an absolute, actual results may vary. :lol: :lol:
Pretty Close Matt To The breaker weekly / Monthly Testing Reports That The Dep makes Them do In a controlled
Lab Weight of coal Burn it Weight of Ash No Guessing :lol: You Know Like I do Weigh Every Piece of coal that goes in the stove and weigh all of the ash that comes out Check Scale once a week for zero with a 10lb weight and all Temps also take off weight for Coal Buckets Ash Tubs & Ash Pan And when using A laser Thermomenter Remember you have to be with in 12" for a True Reading other wise not Accurate Temps :lol:

Superior Coal Rreport 12 to 14 % Ash Content

Summit Anthracite coal co.Inc 9 % Ash Content

UAE Harmony Mine 6.75 To 7.25 % Ash Content

Lenig Calvin V Coal co. 10% Ash Content

Hegins Coal co 10 To 12 % Ash Content

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Mon. Feb. 11, 2008 12:18 am

coalstoves wrote::wtf: :wine:
No not tonight Just lots & lots of coffee I was Just showing that Most of the coal from Blaschak Veins are the same as the ones I go to Like Superior coal Summit Anthracite coal UAE But are 25 to 35 dollars less per ton and No shale or Rocks in it Very Clean coal Except For UAE that has lots of Fines in it Do to Being Dry coal Not washed coal and the Quality does not Change more Consistent all the way around So you like Yours I like mine
Oh what happend to your Reading Banner Also The Reason UAE Put a 2 ton then a 1 ton Limit on was they ran into a Pinch/ slope Vein they could not use The Continuous Miner They had to do it the old way Blasting rock and such Until they could use the Continuous miner again Plus they had some Breakdowns to It Put they Production way Back They took off the limit a week & a half ago ;)

coalstoves

Post by coalstoves » Mon. Feb. 11, 2008 12:29 am

coal berner wrote:No not tonight Just lots & lots of coffee I was Just showing that Most of the coal from Blaschak Veins are the same as the ones I go to Like Superior coal Summit Anthracite coal UAE
Oh I had a real hard time following what figures where what .

Do you have any recent data 2006 is quite some time ago some of the deep mines you reference are no longer in operation and for as fast as the stripping companies move I'm sure they are different too.

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Mon. Feb. 11, 2008 1:48 am

coalstoves wrote:
coal berner wrote:No not tonight Just lots & lots of coffee I was Just showing that Most of the coal from Blaschak Veins are the same as the ones I go to Like Superior coal Summit Anthracite coal UAE
Oh I had a real hard time following what figures where what .

Do you have any recent data 2006 is quite some time ago some of the deep mines you reference are no longer in operation and for as fast as the stripping companies move I'm sure they are different too.
Dep Does not have the 2007 report out yet Should be out soon they always a Year behind will post it when I get it The only deep mines that are not open anymore are one of R & D mines and I Think FKZ coal There is one that is not on the list It is in willamstown they reopen a old one it late 07 It will be on the new report And the one that Summit has out in Brockton down the road from me is down again Permit issues You are correct on stripping they do move a little faster then deep mining but only when the vein runs out or they do not have the permits for the land where the vein is still running but it does not take them long to get them Last time I was over in wadesville Reading was not pulling anything out of the hole I am 4 miles from there I go past there often same for Buck run They are Pulling mostly from the old banks

mike

Post by mike » Mon. Feb. 11, 2008 6:05 am

Actually the only deep mines working are Kimmels, Little Buck, Alfred Brown, Joliet Coal, Harmony, RS&W, D&D, and Chesnut. S&M might be opened but I'm not sure on that one. The rest are either idled or shut down all together. Summit Anthracite's Brockton Deep mine is shut down for good. FKZ is idled, and joliet will be closing in the near future as the owner is retireing.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”