Coal Quality From Various Sources

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Sat. Feb. 16, 2008 4:59 pm

Ash vs. heat. I'll take less heat any day to avoid all that ash & debris. I burnt UAE early in season, loaded up on Superior in Nov and just went back to UAE 2 or 3 weeks ago. Something about the UAE, it really burns nice. And I don't really see less heat but I am not using my engineering skills to compare, just good old common sense. What the Fluke?

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sat. Feb. 16, 2008 7:04 pm

Cap wrote:Ash vs. heat. I'll take less heat any day to avoid all that ash & debris. I burnt UAE early in season, loaded up on Superior in Nov and just went back to UAE 2 or 3 weeks ago. Something about the UAE, it really burns nice. And I don't really see less heat but I am not using my engineering skills to compare, just good old common sense. What the Fluke?
Not hard to tell heat differents just look at the Prob Thermomenters in the stack before the baro And use stove Thermomenter Uae burns for me at 500 to 575 Superior burns 650 to 675 If I open the air more I will see 700 to 775 All Temps are after the Heat Reclaimer & before the Baro Temps coming out before Heat Reclaimer are much higher 900 to 1100 or more if I do not cut the air back You also forgot to mention That the UAE was also Nut size The Superior was Stove Size I do not like Stove size of any kind burns up to Quick

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post by coal berner » Sat. Feb. 16, 2008 7:10 pm

lincolnmania wrote:gonna have to build u a 350 for that truck jc hehe
Nah 305 Just needs a good tune up
60 MPH up these hills with 2600 lbs I don't think it is to bad It runs beetter with all that weight on it :lol:

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Sat. Feb. 16, 2008 8:24 pm

JC, I see no difference in rate of burn between stove & nut. And again, I measure heat where it counts, from the exhaust fan. It''s usually is around 180F thru 250F. And this is based off of draft, outside ambient, & my damper setting. I think we may be splitting hairs. I do not think we equally compare temps unless the stoves are equally set up.

Wanna buy a MB turbo diesel? Matt or Greg can probably figure a way to convert it to rice coal. :lol:

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Sat. Feb. 16, 2008 8:40 pm

Cap wrote:JC, I see no difference in rate of burn between stove & nut. And again, I measure heat where it counts, from the exhaust fan. It''s usually is around 180F thru 250F. And this is based off of draft, outside ambient, & my damper setting. I think we may be splitting hairs. I do not think we equally compare temps unless the stoves are equally set up.

Wanna buy a MB turbo diesel? Matt or Greg can probably figure a way to convert it to rice coal. :lol:

Why are you selling the benz Yes I to have a prob Thermomenter in both sides of stove air vents Right now the air coming out of the stove is 425F on left side Right side is 375F Twin blowers fire is burning hotter on left side coal is Just starting to burn on right side ;)

spaserg

Post by spaserg » Thu. Feb. 21, 2008 2:01 pm

Hi, guys! As I understand you talking about places where is coal digging out of ground (veins)? ,and discussing quality of coal. Where I can buy Superior nut or similar? At coalbreakers mining place? This Q? probably close to "bagging coal" tread I belive. But it's very interesting how close you know all this places to compare them.

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Thu. Feb. 21, 2008 9:12 pm

:) ;)

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Thu. Feb. 21, 2008 10:58 pm

spaserg wrote:Hi, guys! As I understand you talking about places where is coal digging out of ground (veins)? ,and discussing quality of coal. Where I can buy Superior nut or similar? At coalbreakers mining place? This Q? probably close to "bagging coal" tread I belive. But it's very interesting how close you know all this places to compare them.
Well because I was Born Raised & live in the Hart of Anthracite Country If you PM me I will Give you some info All of the Coal Breakers we are talking about sell Bulk Loose Not Bagged coal you must bag it yourself if you want bagged If you have a truck or & A trailer Just Take a ride up here and I will take you to the Breakers

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Sat. Feb. 23, 2008 5:36 pm

I was getting kind of low on coal, so earlier this week, I went to Hudson Anthracite for a load of nut.

Since they didn't have a hopper to load a pick-up, I was loaded with the "big 30 yard" loader. Of course this is large enough to pick the whole truck up! What didn't go in the truck box, ran down over the outside of the tail gate. :mad2: I had asked for 3/4 of a ton, but ended up with .86 ton. :taz:

I've burned the Hudson coal since Wed., but it just doesn't seem to make the same heat as my previous coal ... Casey-Kassa. The reason I tried the Hudson was because the Casey-Kassa nut seemed to have quite a lot of rock, which made it necessary to let the fire go out and clean the rock out, about every 1-1/2 weeks. :down:

It seems like nut has everything in it, which doesn't fit into one of the other size categories. :?: I would like to burn nut, as it seems best in my stove, but the pea causes less headaches. ... it does have to be stirred up, so it will breathe.
Last edited by Dallas on Sun. Feb. 24, 2008 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

butchs37
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 dual feed

Post by butchs37 » Sun. Feb. 24, 2008 8:28 am

Been burning Superior it does burn hotter than UAE only problem I have with it is the ash clumps together more than UAE which causes the ash to bridge between grate and ash pan stopping the feed and making the stove go out. Any suggestions on what can be done to prevent this? Would wet coal or too much or not enough air comming from combustion blower cause this? The draft is at .02 with a direct vent system.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Feb. 24, 2008 8:46 am

butchs37 wrote:Been burning Superior it does burn hotter than UAE only problem I have with it is the ash clumps together more than UAE which causes the ash to bridge between grate and ash pan stopping the feed and making the stove go out. Any suggestions on what can be done to prevent this? Would wet coal or too much or not enough air comming from combustion blower cause this? The draft is at .02 with a direct vent system.
I've had the same problem with my hand-fed, not just with Superior but with other coal as well, I do go "clinker fishing" from time to time. Burning the fire at lower temperatures reduces clinker formation as well as (obviously) extending the burn time.
With the stoker there is quite a bit of space between the grate and the ash pan, the Superior buck burns perfectly and completely. I would leave the combustion air on high, and lower the feed rate a little. I don't think wet coal has any effect, my coal for the stoker is outside and I've been filling a trash can in the cellar as needed. I've filled the hopper with coal mixed with snow as well as dry coal, no difference noted other then when the wet coal starts to burn the fly ash sticks to the door glass more.

butchs37
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 dual feed

Post by butchs37 » Sun. Feb. 24, 2008 8:55 am

I was thinking of trying buck but I read buck with direct vent is a no no do to possible hopper fires.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sun. Feb. 24, 2008 9:05 am

butchs37 wrote:... Any suggestions on what can be done to prevent this?
One thing that helps is mix in some buckwheat size coal, gets a little more air in the fire and prevents the coal from melting together as much. But be careful others on here with Keystoker direct vents had a hopper fire with pure buck burning. I am using a Keystoker A90 with the same grate system and burn Superior buck with good results.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sun. Feb. 24, 2008 9:06 am

butchs37 wrote:I was thinking of trying buck but I read buck with direct vent is a no no do to possible hopper fires.
If you try a mix of 1/3 buck to 2/3 rice you should be safe. One thing to make sure of is the draft in the fire box, s/b no less than -.02" WC

This thread should now move to the stoker section for continuation. :)

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Sun. Feb. 24, 2008 11:51 am

Dallas wrote:I've burned the Hudson coal since Wed., but it just doesn't seem to make the same heat as my previous coal ... Casey-Kassa.
To add: The Hudson coal doesn't even make enough heat to keep the distribution fan running! :x Maybe, I'll try to burn it up in August.
Last edited by Dallas on Mon. Feb. 25, 2008 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”