Coal Quality From Various Sources

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Thu. Jan. 22, 2009 3:03 pm

New Hope Engineer wrote:Has anyone ever tried the coal from Premium Fine Coal in Tamaqua? I am going saturday to pick up 1/2 a ton and was curious how the qaulity was.
Thanks,
Mark
They are a very small breaker they get a lot of Refuse coal with Surface Mine Coal mixed not the best in Quality
Your better off with South Tamaqa Coal Pockets Which is Right up the Road From them Or in Front of them if your looking From Route 309 Or Try Tuscarora coal co. about 8 miles down the Road on Route 209. Centalia coal sales also
sells. South Tamaqua coal pockets coal aswell as 11 other's The Best on there list of Companies are UAE Harmony mine
Sherman coal co. Tuscarora coal South Tamaqua coal. Hudson coal . The Rest on there list stay away from .

**Broken Link(s) Removed**look under Schuylkill County you will see them on The coal Refuse list

http://www.centraliacoal.com/l1.html

kevinp

Post by kevinp » Fri. Jan. 23, 2009 4:30 pm

I use Premium Fine Coal from S. Tamaqua. They have been getting their raw coal from LC&N. It's the best burning coal I've seen in a long time. I recommend giving them a try and judge for your self. :)

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Fri. Jan. 23, 2009 9:22 pm

From what I hear Superior coal will be different this coming year.What will be different and how will it effect the BTU value?Getting ready for next years load of coal.I'm still learning how to best burn Superior without making clinkers but I like the BTU's it makes.
DON

New Hope Engineer
Coal Size/Type: Nut pea

Post by New Hope Engineer » Sat. Jan. 24, 2009 6:26 am

Thanks for your responses fellas,guess ill try it out and see how it goes.I am only getting a small amount though since I only have a little ford ranger.I will let ya know how it burns.
Mark

New Hope Engineer
Coal Size/Type: Nut pea

Post by New Hope Engineer » Sat. Jan. 24, 2009 7:03 pm

The coal is great. :D Plenty of heat,low ash and no rocks,wood or the like.
Would Definitely recommend them to any of my friends. ;)

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post by coal berner » Mon. Jan. 26, 2009 12:19 am

kevinp wrote:I use Premium Fine Coal from S. Tamaqua. They have been getting their raw coal from LC&N. It's the best burning coal I've seen in a long time. I recommend giving them a try and judge for your self. :)
Premium Fine coal co and South Tamaqua coal Pockets inc are two different Companies not the same coal
South Tamaqua coal Pockets Get a lot of LC&N Mine Run/ Raw coal Premium Fine coal co Does not . Premium coal co.
is about a half mile behind South Tamaqua coal Pockets . Two different location Two different coal breakers & Co.

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Mon. Jan. 26, 2009 12:36 am

BIG BEAM wrote:From what I hear Superior coal will be different this coming year.What will be different and how will it effect the BTU value?Getting ready for next years load of coal.I'm still learning how to best burn Superior without making clinkers but I like the BTU's it makes.
DON
What is going to be different about there coal this coming Year . Other then them having alot of Break downs with the breaker this I don't see any changes in there coal mines other then they can't keep up with the High demand of coal
Just like all of the other Mines and Breakers . They might buy mine run / raw coal from other's and that's only if it
tested out to be a good product if not they won't buy it . Other then that don't know what changes you heard but I sure would like to Hear them . Also try less air going in to it the ash fusion temps are around 2800f 2900f With Red Ash coal you will always make clickers with to much air high Iron content White ash does not make clinkers very little to no iron content .

efo141

Post by efo141 » Mon. Jan. 26, 2009 3:48 pm

coal berner wrote:
BIG BEAM wrote:From what I hear Superior coal will be different this coming year.What will be different and how will it effect the BTU value?Getting ready for next years load of coal.I'm still learning how to best burn Superior without making clinkers but I like the BTU's it makes.
DON
What is going to be different about there coal this coming Year . Other then them having alot of Break downs with the breaker this I don't see any changes in there coal mines other then they can't keep up with the High demand of coal
Just like all of the other Mines and Breakers . They might buy mine run / raw coal from other's and that's only if it
tested out to be a good product if not they won't buy it . Other then that don't know what changes you heard but I sure would like to Hear them . Also try less air going in to it the ash fusion temps are around 2800f 2900f With Red Ash coal you will always make clickers with to much air high Iron content White ash does not make clinkers very little to no iron content .
If you mixed the red and white ash coal,would that help the clinker problem?

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Mon. Jan. 26, 2009 9:31 pm

J.C.
I thought one of the mines that Superior gets their raw coal from was no longer producing.

Mike
I've tried mixing white and red ash coal but what seems to happen is that the clinkers that form are just as big just whiter.
DON

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Mon. Jan. 26, 2009 11:36 pm

BIG BEAM wrote:J.C.
I thought one of the mines that Superior gets their raw coal from was no longer producing.

Mike
I've tried mixing white and red ash coal but what seems to happen is that the clinkers that form are just as big just whiter.
DON
That mine that they owned was shut down in 2006 the other two they own is where there coal comes from.

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Mon. Jan. 26, 2009 11:41 pm

BIG BEAM wrote:J.C.

Mike
DON
Have close the air a little slowing down the air will help with clinkers to hot of a fire is what causes clinkers the Ash
Fusion Temps with that coal runs between 2800f to 2900f so you are burning a hot fire to get that coal to clinker

kevinp

Post by kevinp » Tue. Jan. 27, 2009 7:10 pm

coal berner wrote:
kevinp wrote:I use Premium Fine Coal from S. Tamaqua. They have been getting their raw coal from LC&N. It's the best burning coal I've seen in a long time. I recommend giving them a try and judge for your self. :)
Premium Fine coal co and South Tamaqua coal Pockets inc are two different Companies not the same coal
South Tamaqua coal Pockets Get a lot of LC&N Mine Run/ Raw coal Premium Fine coal co Does not . Premium coal co.
is about a half mile behind South Tamaqua coal Pockets . Two different location Two different coal breakers & Co.
J.C. Better check your info. South Tamaqua Coal Pockets runs their own stripping operations just outside of McAdoo and produce most of their own ROM coal. Premium Fine also runs a small stripping operation in the Tuscarora area, but they purchase most of their ROM coal from LC&N. I was at the breaker today picking up a load of coal when they received several tri-axle loads from LC&N. I was getting coal from South Tamaqua Coal Pockets, but their quality hasn't been as good as it was in the past. There seemed to be more bone and slate then in the past. I started getting coal from Premium Fine about a year ago and have had no problems. High BTU's and low ash.

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Wed. Jan. 28, 2009 2:00 am

kevinp wrote:
coal berner wrote: Premium Fine coal co and South Tamaqua coal Pockets inc are two different Companies not the same coal
J.C. Better check your info. South Tamaqua Coal Pockets runs their own stripping operations just outside of McAdoo and produce most of their own ROM coal. Premium Fine also runs a small stripping operation in the Tuscarora area, but they purchase most of their ROM coal from LC&N. I was at the breaker today picking up a load of coal when they received several tri-axle loads from LC&N. I was getting coal from South Tamaqua Coal Pockets, but their quality hasn't been as good as it was in the past. There seemed to be more bone and slate then in the past. I started getting coal from Premium Fine about a year ago and have had no problems. High BTU's and low ash.
Well kevinP I live 10 Miles From Both Places I also live few miles from Tuscarora I know where they both get there coal
from Yes Both Have Surface mine operations of there own. But S.T . also buys from LC&N the owner had some money invested in LC&N Glenwood breaker. Premium also runs Refuse coal . That does not Suprise me that they are buying off of LC&N Now Like Most Coal co. when the demade is high and they can't keep up they buy raw coal from whereever they can get it .I Just Bought 1440 lbs of LC&N coal on the 16th I will not be going back I wanted Buck it was oversized So I got Rice well it was more Barley size then Rice with alot of Dirt Wood & COAL ASH in it . With no BTU output and it is suposed to be 9 % ash content well it is more like 15.50 % So you can have all of it you want . I will drive my Usual 23 miles and buy good coal for less money ..

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

kevinp

Post by kevinp » Wed. Jan. 28, 2009 8:35 am

1440 tons? Are you a retail sales/delivery person?

By the way, I heard a few days ago but can not confirm the info. Is the Greenwood Breaker closed again?

deerhunter1225

Post by deerhunter1225 » Tue. Feb. 03, 2009 8:38 pm

coalstoves wrote:
Wood'nCoal wrote: Why didn't you get Blaschak???? :twisted:
I use the Blaschak in my Victory it has a preference, Blaschak is 16 miles away and costs $165, the Harman will burn anything and I'm fortunate that the lowest ash coal available is 8 blocks from the house and costs $130 a ton .
Ol' Stoves might be stubborn but he ain't stupid
Would you mind giving us the name and contact info on the 130.00 per ton coal? May I ask what model Harman that you are using. Its good to know a model of coal stove that will burn all types of coal good. Thank you, Deerhunter

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”