Coal Quality From Various Sources

efo141

Post by efo141 » Thu. Oct. 16, 2008 5:21 pm

Hudson was 130 a ton a few months back, $40 increase ? Operating costs have dropped with lower fuel prices. When will the coal drop? With coal going up and fuel comming down People will fire up those oil burners again.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Thu. Oct. 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Well oil would have to be 95 cents a gal to compare to 170 for a ton of coal you are also forgeting that the mines are
still running alot harder to try and keep up with the demand for coal so they are using alot more fuel which is still over
3.30 a gal Plus there using alot more electricity & water You will not see the price of coal come down until spring and that
is if the price of fuel stays down which it will not it will go right back up after election is over or soon after

rrob311
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading Allegheny
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo #2 Coal Wood
Other Heating: Monitor 441 Kerosene heater

Post by rrob311 » Thu. Oct. 16, 2008 7:07 pm

I just burned a stove load of Hudson coal a couple weeks ago (I am a beginner) and in the morning there was quite a bit of unburned coal. some of it was reddish and some was whitish I am not sure where I went wrong. Compared to superior coal this isn't as shiny. Do coal breakers typically run out in winter? I still need to go down there and get another ton of Nut coal.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post by coal berner » Thu. Oct. 16, 2008 7:59 pm

The unburnt stuff is Probably bone which is rock that is formed in with the coal you will not find bone in Superior coal
they take it out when the coal is being processed in the breaker Hudson coal you will find bone in there coal it shows
how one breaker processes there coal better then another also one breaker is deep mine coal and the other is Surface mine coal with Suface mine coal you will get alot of rock dirt and everything else that is between the Surface and the coal
vein most of it if not all of it will taken out when the coal is processed at the breaker Deep mine coal will have less
rock and other unwants because they will blow the rock face away from the coal vein and all they will have is the coal
vein to follow more coal if the vein stays big all the way threw less rock to deal with Plus the coal it self will be better Qaulity because it is deeper in the ground the deeper the coal the better it is in Qaulity in most cases some veins of
coal will have more bone it the coal then other veins of coal will have There is a whole lot of other factors that go along
with this but I will not get into at this point and time but these are the basic reasons

rrob311
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading Allegheny
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo #2 Coal Wood
Other Heating: Monitor 441 Kerosene heater

Post by rrob311 » Thu. Oct. 16, 2008 8:25 pm

Cool, I don't like this bone stuff, its too much work, I'm gonna stick with superior and whatever other places have good stuff. I don't like the idea of burning a bunch of rocks and dirt in my stove. Especially when the good stuff is like 10$ more a ton or whatever.

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Fri. Oct. 17, 2008 3:51 pm

coal berner wrote:Have you tried Sherman coal co. Jeddo coal Kimmel coal South Tamaqua coal Pockets or Tuscarora coal
Just to name a few call them and see who has enough coal for you
No I haven'tJ.C.I made up a list of my coal choices.Top of the list is.....
Superior
Summit
Calvin Lennig
UAE
Sherman...and so on
So I start at the top of the list and work my way down.

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Fri. Oct. 17, 2008 3:59 pm

efo141 wrote:Hudson was 130 a ton a few months back, $40 increase ? Operating costs have dropped with lower fuel prices. When will the coal drop? With coal going up and fuel comming down People will fire up those oil burners again.
From what I've seen with pricing for the last few years I don't think price will drop at the breakers this year.But next year there will probably only be a modest price increase.But then again I was the guy that said that oil wouldn't go much below 90.00 :?
DON

fishhunter

Post by fishhunter » Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 7:04 pm

how is the quality of coal from centralia coal sales?
my dealer says it is very good but I have yet to burn any. I know they use various sources to keep up with demand I am just wondering if anyone has experience with it.

Gaptooth

Post by Gaptooth » Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 7:20 pm

Anyone have personal experience with Penn Keystone? It is supposedly all deep-mined from a fairly new mine. Would be interested to hear of anybody's experience with burning it or getting it. Thank you.

vtec350

Post by vtec350 » Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 7:57 pm

fishhunter wrote:how is the quality of coal from centralia coal sales?
I've been burning rice from them and have not had any problems. Are you getting it from CSM, that's where I got mine from.

Dave

fishhunter

Post by fishhunter » Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 8:39 pm

yes,
i got it from CSM. it looks good but I will probably find out tomorrow when I burn through the rest of the Kimmells.

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Thu. Oct. 23, 2008 12:52 am

fishhunter wrote:how is the quality of coal from centralia coal sales?
my dealer says it is very good but I have yet to burn any. I know they use various sources to keep up with demand I am just wondering if anyone has experience with it.
Here are the Sources they buy from The only deep mine coal is UAE Sherman has both Surface and Deep mine Mixed
Hegins Mining Is Running very small amounts of Deep mine coal most Of it is Surface mining The rest on the list are all
Surface mining coal UAE and Sherman will have the best coal on the list

http://www.centraliacoal.com/l1.html

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Thu. Oct. 23, 2008 12:56 am

BIG BEAM wrote:
coal berner wrote:Have you tried Sherman coal co. Jeddo coal Kimmel coal South Tamaqua coal Pockets or Tuscarora coal
Just to name a few call them and see who has enough coal for you
No I haven'tJ.C.I made up a list of my coal choices.Top of the list is.....
Superior
Summit
Calvin Lennig
UAE
Sherman...and so on
So I start at the top of the list and work my way down.
Change your list
Superior
UAE lowest ash content
Calvin V. Lenig burns almost as hot as Superior but it is not as clean
Sherman I have not burned it since 05 to 06 season back then it was hit and miss
Summit does not burn as hot as the other's but has nice ash content

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Fri. Oct. 24, 2008 6:23 pm

List amended!
DON

hugg

Post by hugg » Sun. Nov. 16, 2008 9:35 pm

I have both superior coal and coal from hudson. I just started burning some hudson and can tell the difference in the ash color but no difference in heat gereration. I don't know about ash content because I don't measure. The hudson is white ash and the superior is red ash. Burned some mystery coal, that was left here in the house when we bought it in april, not nearly the heat gerneration from the other two I tested.... good stuff, Hugg

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”