Coal Quality From Various Sources

coalstoves
Location: Mt.Carmel Pa. Located on The Western Middle Anthracite Field

Post by coalstoves » Fri. Feb. 08, 2008 10:06 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:
Yes, tomorrow morning. Most likely Superior.
Heard the ash contents runnin a bit high these days over there
Last edited by coalstoves on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 12:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Split from the "Need coal" thread.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Fri. Feb. 08, 2008 10:13 pm

coalstoves wrote:
Wood'nCoal wrote: Yes, tomorrow morning. Most likely Superior.
Yes, I believe you are right, surely less ash then what I'm burning now, though. Between 2 and 3 scuttle-fulls a day produces a full 5 gallon ash can. I ran out of coal for the hand fed, picked up a few bags of Reading nut. Well it's supposed to be nut. It's more like some nut, some pea, lots of fines, and a few stove size pieces here and there. Burns better then what I had before, but still not to my satisfaction.

coalstoves

Post by coalstoves » Fri. Feb. 08, 2008 10:29 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:
coalstoves wrote:I take it you'll be here in morning, where are you going Harmony or Superior, I was at Harmony today they got a nice big pile a Rice and I only took a ton fer the Harman
Wood'nCoal wrote:, I believe you are right, surely less ash then what I'm burning now, though. Between 2 and 3 scuttle-fulls a day produces a full 5 gallon ash can. I ran out of coal for the hand fed, picked up a few bags of Reading nut. Well it's supposed to be nut. It's more like some nut, some pea, lots of fines, and a few stove size pieces here and there. Burns better then what I had before, but still not to my satisfaction.
Why not Harmony then less ash content, same price, Red ash like superior :poke:

coalstoves

Post by coalstoves » Sat. Feb. 09, 2008 1:14 am

Salemcoal wrote:No knock against Pa haulersmaking their fair share but i'm burning coal to save money. 5 kids to put through college. Right now i'm paying for the cost of trucking and my dealers profit and getting substandard coal. If I was getting quality coal at the same price I would not be searching for alternative methods of delivery. When quality coal costs 325 a ton it is more than double the price of hardwood cords. Not that I want to do the wood thing again, I'm excited about my vf 3000 stoker, but if coal goes up I may just burn a little more wood in my Harman duel fuel sf 150.
Don't feel bad go back and research the history of Anthracite its mining and transportation, nobody ever wanted to pay for it, prior to the Anthracite strike of 1902 and afterward cities and towns along the eastern seaboard bemoaned the price they had to pay for it, they would cite all sorts of economic and social woes associated with the price almost expressing an attitude of entitlement to the fuel . But the then President of one of the largest anthracite hauling railroads brought things into perspective with this statement
"Anthracite coal is a business, and not a religious, sentimental, or academic proposition"

George Baer
Former President of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad
Last edited by coalstoves on Sat. Feb. 09, 2008 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Feb. 09, 2008 5:30 am

coalstoves wrote:
Wood'nCoal wrote: Heard the ash contents runnin a bit high these days over there
Wood'nCoal wrote:, I believe you are right, surely less ash then what I'm burning now, though. Between 2 and 3 scuttle-fulls a day produces a full 5 gallon ash can. I ran out of coal for the hand fed, picked up a few bags of Reading nut. Well it's supposed to be nut. It's more like some nut, some pea, lots of fines, and a few stove size pieces here and there. Burns better then what I had before, but still not to my satisfaction.
Why not Harmony then less ash content, same price, Red ash like superior :poke:
We'll see what happens today. :D

coalstoves

Post by coalstoves » Sat. Feb. 09, 2008 5:40 am

Good Luck
I'm just teasin ya , but you know it's not like you'll need coal every couple a weeks and I'd hate to see ya go thru all this and not get the very best ya could . You'll be driving right by some of the best all along the way

butchs37
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 dual feed

Post by butchs37 » Sat. Feb. 09, 2008 6:01 am

Heading out today for some myself just not sure where. I havent decided on Hegins, Superior or Summit. Never burned any of them yet so don't know which would burn best in keystoker 90k dv.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Feb. 09, 2008 6:22 am

butchs37 wrote:Heading out today for some myself just not sure where. I havent decided on Hegins, Superior or Summit. Never burned any of them yet so don't know which would burn best in keystoker 90k dv.
Maybe we'll see you later!

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sun. Feb. 10, 2008 2:39 am

butchs37 wrote:Heading out today for some myself just not sure where. I havent decided on Hegins, Superior or Summit. Never burned any of them yet so don't know which would burn best in keystoker 90k dv.
No Hegins There are selling the breaker and the Quality is not good using up what is laying around Go to either of the other two Much Better Quality ;) Superior coal is Pulling out of the Primrose Vein & the Buck mountain vein Summit is Pulling out of The Primrose vein The Holems vein The Mammoth top split the Mammoth Middel split the Middel Mammoth Bottom split veins The Skidmore vein also The Seven Foot vein The lower Four Foot vein & Buck Mountain vein

coalstoves

Post by coalstoves » Sun. Feb. 10, 2008 3:26 am

coal berner wrote:No Hegins
They are selling the breaker and the Quality is not good, using up what is laying around .

Go to either Superior or Summit Much Better Quality

Superior coal is Pulling out of the Primrose & Buck mountain veins.

Summit is Pulling out of the following veins

▪ The Primrose
▪ The Holmes,
▪ The Monmouth Top, Middle and Bottom split
▪ The Skidmore
▪ The Seven Foot
▪ The lower Four Foot
▪ Buck Mountain
Seems the Summit would give the best blend cause of the variety of coal what do you think

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sun. Feb. 10, 2008 11:13 am

coalstoves wrote: Seems the Summit would give the best blend cause of the variety of coal what do you think
Based on my experience with Summit, Lenig, Superior, and UAE the best burning blend is Superior and UAE, it combines the best heat with the low ash of UAE. Burning by them selves the following was observed at ~ 40% feed rate on the Coal-trol and measuring stove temp with a Fluke laser thermometer just above the upper door and to the right: (all ash % and temps are approximate averages, interpolated by me :P )
Summit about 12% ash and 485*F stove temp
Superior about 15% ash and 585*F stove temp
UAE about 7% ash and 450*F stove temp
Lenig about 11% ash and 525 *F stove temp
The above is in no way intended to be an absolute, actual results may vary. :lol: :lol:

coalstoves

Post by coalstoves » Sun. Feb. 10, 2008 12:41 pm

Matthaus wrote: Based on my experience with Summit, Lenig, Superior, and UAE the best burning blend is Superior and UAE
The above is in no way intended to be an absolute, actual results may vary.
Excellent work on the comparisons, just got a ton of UAE for the Harman seems they lifted the 1 ton limit, big piles of everything available

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Feb. 10, 2008 1:24 pm

Did you ask the folks at UAE what their latest analysist of their coal was?? Is it still around 7% or has it gone up some??

Greg L

coalstoves

Post by coalstoves » Sun. Feb. 10, 2008 2:02 pm

LsFarm wrote:Did you ask the folks at UAE what their latest analysist of their coal was?? Is it still around 7% or has it gone up some??

Greg L

Naw, I'm kinda complacent with the consistency of that place it's the same mine same vein that entire operation is a bit of a fluke in the way the coal runs there, the vein actually lays flat across the top of the mountain and seems to have added to the consistency of the way it burns .

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Feb. 10, 2008 6:47 pm

coalstoves wrote:
Matthaus wrote: Based on my experience with Summit, Lenig, Superior, and UAE the best burning blend is Superior and UAE
The above is in no way intended to be an absolute, actual results may vary.
Excellent work on the comparisons, just got a ton of UAE for the Harman seems they lifted the 1 ton limit, big piles of everything available
Why didn't you get Blaschak???? :twisted:

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”