Considering Buying Blaschak Coal for 1st Time -- Yes or No?

mof1964
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby

Post by mof1964 » Fri. Apr. 18, 2014 1:03 pm

hello,
I am in need of about 7 tons of buckwheat coal. My usual hauler is having mechanical issues with his equipment. I am looking to a new hauler and he hauls Blaschak coal. I have been using Direnzo. I guess I'm looking for some feedback as to the current quality of the Blaschak coal. Is the sizing good for all sizes?
how is the ash content? I get minimal ash currently with Direnzo.
I need to move on getting the coal. I only have about 2 weeks worth left and the new hauler I'm looking at is available for about a week or so and then he's gone for spring gobbler season.

Please advise.

Mitch

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Apr. 18, 2014 1:14 pm

I never had a bad bag of Blaschack and have burned a lot of it.

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Fri. Apr. 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Never had a problem with Blaschak. Go for it!

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Fri. Apr. 18, 2014 2:13 pm

Relax,Mitch! You've been around here since 2008,so you've seen a lot of Folks make the mistake of moving fast and regretting it. You know: "Act In Haste,Repent In Leisure" You've got the money others want. I like your position. If it was me,I'd figure it this way: I've got to figure that you might be able to find some bagged Blaschak available to finish off your Season easily. Try it out first. See how it performs for you. Don't get 7 tons of it. I've seen Direnzo's have a Rabid,Cult Like Following here. Sounds like good stuff! The Guy you've been doing your Cartage Business with is Broke Down. He knows you. Ask how long he expects to be down. Is he or has he been a Hoser in the past? If he's good,stay on board with him and don't Panic Shift to another Hauler with another brand and Turkey hunting on his mind instead of Business. If you have to,call DiRenzo's and take 1 minute explaining that you Love their Coal,Your hauler's Down for A Long One,And Do They have a list of Folks that would haul 10 tons to Your Place. To hell with it. After this Winter and now the problem you've encountered,I'd start an Overlap Stocking Program on Your Property that will keep you ahead of whatever Winter Demand,Availability and Potential Future Budget Shortfall Problems that you might encounter. Of course,it's you're money to outlay,so it's up to you. Good Luck,my Proactive Friend ! Hat's Off to you ! :clap: :yes:

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Apr. 18, 2014 2:36 pm

Aside from my last bags being wet coal .. I have had only the issues of improper sizing on occasion (nut coal being closer to pea ~ which in itself can be an issue on cold days).

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Fri. Apr. 18, 2014 4:08 pm

Wait and get the Direnzo !
Try Shawn Himmelberger 610-587-9176 / 570-773-0386

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Apr. 18, 2014 5:11 pm

Blaschak burns fine, but will produce about twice the ash of Direnzo's current coal.

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Fri. Apr. 18, 2014 8:32 pm

I got a load of Blaschack and was the worst crap I've ever burned.I got a 1/2 ton of Direnzo and was great.I used up the Direnzo and got another load of Blaschack and it was better than the first load of Blaschack,but not anywhere as good as the Direnzo.

padon

Post by padon » Fri. Apr. 18, 2014 10:59 pm

I have been very happy with Direnzo coal. I am getting six more tons this week. I would contact the breaker. I know the person delivering my coal left his name at the breaker.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Apr. 18, 2014 11:15 pm

When I switched from Kimmel's to Blaschak back in '09 or so, it was like I was burning an incredible new fuel - the burn characteristics were night and day different. Powdery ash, LOOOONG burn times, and lots of heat out of the Mark III. The minute I had the money for a truckload of pallets, I got the WORST crap ever. Just my damn luck. The coal was decent - still better than Kimmel's any way I sliced it - but, this batch of nut was mixed with ROCKS! Had many many frustrating nights clearing jammed grates at midnight when I should've been sleeping. Must've been 5 or 6 pallets like this. Felt like the torture would never end! Those 5 - 6 were mixed, so the torture lasted through 2 seasons. The stoker boiler came just in time ....

This was my first season running a stoker on Blaschak rice. No problems at all, aside from the aforementioned sizing issues. I found 3 consecutive bags out of well over 200 with nut to stove sized chunks mixed in. Was so big they just spun and spun on the paddle, instead of getting mashed and breaking something. Fine with me. I just put them in layers of newspaper and wacked them with a hammer. Voila! Instant rice. ;)

mof1964
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby

Post by mof1964 » Sat. Apr. 19, 2014 8:07 am

I would love to wait for my normal guy to get his truck up and going but it's going to be awhile till that happens. He needs a motor for his truck.
He has no problems with me looking for someone else to get me the coal. I will use him again in the future when he's running, just can't wait too long.
Has anyone used any of the haulers that Direnzo has recommended?
I really would rather have the Direnzo even if it costs me more money.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Apr. 19, 2014 9:19 am

Call Direnzo, I'm sure they have a list of local haulers that can take care of you.

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Sat. Apr. 19, 2014 12:43 pm

Try Shawn Himmelberger 610-587-9176 / 570-773-0386

Or is he the one that is down ?
He hauls Direnzo for me !

confedsailor
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 100 KBtu Chappee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac 513
Other Heating: Oil Fired 1950"s American Standard Arcoliner 132K BTU

Post by confedsailor » Sat. May. 10, 2014 3:57 pm

Got a 1.2 ton pallet of Blashak Pea from Burntime in Central CT for last season, Seemed to burn very ashy and quick, not like the Susquehanna Pea, (Flemings Hardware, Preston Ct) id used before. However, on a lark, swapped over to Blashak Nut from the Norwich Agway. The stove seemed to love it, much less ash and longer burn. But bag to bag its like rolling dice. I have a feeling since they are reclaiming coal they are getting a fair amt of sh.....ingle in with the coal. I'll be endeavoring to go straight Susquehanna this coming year, as I know what its gonna do bag to bag.

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Sun. May. 11, 2014 10:14 am

Beginning of this past season, blaschak waas really awesome compared to my previous years of burning them. Little ash and a high heat output per pound. My last 2 ton load however was back to lots of ash. Always had good high heat output but the ash content varied dramatically this year.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”