When to Buy Bulk Rice Coal.

leetbumble

Post by leetbumble » Thu. Mar. 27, 2014 8:59 pm

I'm very interested in your normal time lines for when you buy bulk coal.

I had just bought my house (came with the stove) this winter and not having found this forum until recently or ever used a coal stove before I bought bagged coal as needed.

I know understand many of my errors thanks to this forum so im once again interested in what your input.

When should I start seeking pricing info? when do you normally have coal delivered? Does the coal normally come very damp/wet in bulk unbagged to the point that id need to let it dry some before the cold sets in again?

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Thu. Mar. 27, 2014 9:13 pm

Being that you are in Maryland, you may or may not have someone local who sells in bulk. Others will jump in shortly. If not, you will have to get it delivered from PA. Most coal is washed or rinsed and usually it is dripping wet if you are close to the breaker. Price doesn't vary as much when you are close once again, but I always try to buy when it is still summer or end of. Heard rumors of price increases go into effect sept 1st. You don't want to call in jan, feb and try to get a delivery, often it is frozen solid if kept outside.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Thu. Mar. 27, 2014 9:26 pm

We order a TT load around May or June. By July it is all put away and we are ready.

Mahanoy Boy

Post by Mahanoy Boy » Fri. Mar. 28, 2014 12:00 am

Mozz,

You're right about the September 1 price increase. At least that's when my supplier raises his prices every year.

Mahanoy Boy

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Mar. 28, 2014 12:40 pm

I get mine in bulk from a dealer in PA and usually make a few stops through the summer with the trailer to stock up. Rice coal holds moisture in the pile and it will freeze up when we get weather like we had this past Jan/Feb.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”