LEHIGH Anthracite Review

Dave 1234
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1948 International boiler, EFM S-20 stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buck,

Post by Dave 1234 » Tue. Oct. 28, 2014 5:46 pm

Yup!
Last year I burned they're rice. Good stuff. This year I ordered the buck. My 520 stoker likes it fine.
The buck is corse and takes less air to burn well.

Dave
Penn507 wrote:In the mail today ,I received a letter from Lehigh regarding their price changes. Buck will be $30 a ton cheaper than Rice. Has anybody used Lehigh Buck in a EFM 520 ?

Protrucker
Stoker Coal Boiler: in the future....when home renovation is done. (radiant floor)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pocono, Keystoker & Leisure Line Li'l Heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning #523, Coal Chubby, Floral Gem #519 & one other Warm Morning stove
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut & Rice
Other Heating: Propane fired forced hot air

Post by Protrucker » Thu. Oct. 30, 2014 12:25 pm

Is $160/ton the full price, or do they charge sales tax on top of that? If so what percent?

Penn507
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Penn507 » Thu. Oct. 30, 2014 7:40 pm

Protrucker wrote:Is $160/ton the full price, or do they charge sales tax on top of that? If so what percent?
I'm from Ohio, no sales tax for me. Trucking last year in the spring of 2013 was $55 a ton.

Penn507
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520

Post by Penn507 » Fri. Oct. 31, 2014 8:16 pm

[quote="Dave 1234"]Yup!
Last year I burned they're rice. Good stuff. This year I ordered the buck. My 520 stoker likes it fine.

Dave

That's good to hear, appreciate you're info. I'm anxious because I buy a TT load when I buy. I usually have a few oversized pieces that I catch when I screen the rice . Have you any problems with oversized pieces in your buck ? and do you screen it ?

MarkV
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine DS-1500WH
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak bulk nut

Post by MarkV » Sat. Nov. 01, 2014 11:22 am

I just visited Kuntz Coal Yard in Hummelstown, PA yesterday to order my 2 ton delivery, which will be next Friday 11/7. Wanted to check out the Blaschak bulk nut before I bought it, since I wasn't thrilled with the load I got last year. Tim at Kuntz told me Blaschack wasn't delivering to them this month, and he was just about out of nut. He's running a truck up to Lehigh Monday or Tuesday to get a load of their nut, and I'll probably get one the first deliveries.

Thanks everyone for the reviews--sounds like I'll be happy with the results. I'll post back after I fire up about how things are going.

Dave 1234
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1948 International boiler, EFM S-20 stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buck,

Post by Dave 1234 » Sat. Nov. 01, 2014 9:52 pm

Penn 507,
Sorry for the late reply. .....I have not had any troubles. Been on buck now for a while. I should screen it but I have not so far. It's nice not pushing so much air into the fire. The buck works well for me.

Dave
Penn507 wrote:
Dave 1234 wrote:Yup!

Dave

That's good to hear, appreciate you're info. I'm anxious because I buy a TT load when I buy. I usually have a few oversized pieces that I catch when I screen the rice . Have you any problems with oversized pieces in your buck ? and do you screen it ?

MarkV
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine DS-1500WH
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak bulk nut

Post by MarkV » Wed. Nov. 26, 2014 4:07 pm

MarkV wrote:I just visited Kuntz Coal Yard in Hummelstown, PA yesterday to order my 2 ton delivery, which will be next Friday 11/7. Wanted to check out the Blaschak bulk nut before I bought it, since I wasn't thrilled with the load I got last year. Ed at Kuntz told me Blaschak wasn't delivering to them this month, and he was just about out of nut. He's running a truck up to Lehigh Monday or Tuesday to get a load of their nut, and I'll probably get one the first deliveries.

I'll post back after I fire up about how things are going.
2 tons bulk Lehigh nut delivered 11/11, $270 per ton. Ed told me he got a load of Lehigh rice a few weeks back that he's delivered to several customers, and a couple have called and said they really like it. As for the nut, it's much more uniform in size than the Blaschak I got last year--still some odd small pieces and a few large, but mostly just good-size oval pieces.

I lit the stove Sunday 11/16, had a little trouble getting it to burn the next day or two during a damp/rainy spell, but I gave it more air, and it was burning well during the very cold snap that followed. Doesn't seem to produce as much ash as the Blaschak, but ash is a bit darker and seems to have a reddish tint. Maybe just me--I'm partially colorblind.

Only concern I have is that there seems to be a bit more temp falloff in 12 hours than with the Blaschak. The thermostatic primary air in my DS 1500 should moderate that, but the top temps drop an average of 40-50* over twelve hours. Last year with the Blaschak, I often didn't need to shake in the morning as the temp would be just a bit below the night before.

That's minor though. So far I'm pleased with the Lehigh.

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Wed. Nov. 26, 2014 5:11 pm

Got a TT from Lehigh. Buckwheat. Nicely sized and real clean. Dealt with a gentleman named Terry. Super great guy who really is there for the customer. Walks the walk and talks the talk. Coal is burning great! I will be getting more of their product. It is better and the price is right. :)

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Dec. 14, 2014 10:26 am

What are the ash and volatility characteristics of Lehigh anthracite? Is it red or white ash? Low in ash (both by weight and by volume)? Compared to Blaschak, is it higher or lower in volatility? Does it clinker a lot?

JeepinPete
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM

Post by JeepinPete » Sun. Dec. 14, 2014 11:52 am

Red ash, fairly low volume. Probably not as low as Direnzo, but close. No clinkers in my EFM, but I have never had any with any other coal I have used.

Very low volitiles. I have had the coal bridge the auger once and had no sulfur smell in the house when the EFM emptied the auger. Not the first time I've had that happen, but it was the first time there wasn't the associated smell. Good thing the CO detector did its thing :shock:

All in all I am happy with it. Good performance for the price.

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Sun. Dec. 14, 2014 5:00 pm

Guys my 2 cents this company with 5 owners since 1820 not 1920 has been around for one reason Quality Coal .They have been in the Primrose An Mammoth veins .Nice coal .When the coal runs down the chute it sounds like glass bottles coming down the chute .I was born about 1.5 miles from there breaker an pits .Dad an I been using this since 1950s an except when breaker was down we used Lehigh .No complaints except I one year 2019 sorry 2012 lots of fines were in coal .Now corrected .try it jack

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Dec. 14, 2014 5:50 pm

And their Summer Price was $140.00/ ton, by the TT load. :)

Scottscoaled

Post by Scottscoaled » Sun. Dec. 14, 2014 6:33 pm

I just got another TT load. $140/ton

Protrucker
Stoker Coal Boiler: in the future....when home renovation is done. (radiant floor)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pocono, Keystoker & Leisure Line Li'l Heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning #523, Coal Chubby, Floral Gem #519 & one other Warm Morning stove
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut & Rice
Other Heating: Propane fired forced hot air

Post by Protrucker » Tue. Dec. 16, 2014 1:41 pm

What are you guys calling a TT load, 20-25 ton?

Scottscoaled

Post by Scottscoaled » Tue. Dec. 16, 2014 2:09 pm

Semi truck with a Dump body/walking floor behind it. Usually weight limits them to less than 24 tons in Pa. Whole rig less than 80,000 pounds. There are other guys using tri-axles than can get around 20-22 tons max. They are limited by the volume of their box.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”