LEHIGH Anthracite Review

Homesteader
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove
Other Heating: H.B. Smith oil fired boiler

Post by Homesteader » Mon. Jan. 29, 2018 7:54 am

Yes, Thanks Matt.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Jan. 29, 2018 8:02 am

i'll just add here that the new Lehigh nut i started burning 2 weeks ago is white ash, VERY high heat, low gas stuff.

it is such heat heat output fuel i had to instantly start turning back my bi-metal dial control to keep from getting blown out of the house.

i'm now constantly 1.5 or more whole numbers lower than the settings required by the former locally sourced Blashack bulk nut. the ash is much finer and anything that is still holding any sort of form goes to dust at a mere touch, and there is much less total ash than the Blashack.

no regrets,
steve

archangel_cpj

Post by archangel_cpj » Sat. Mar. 10, 2018 9:55 pm

Man I wish I wasnt like 300 miles from Lehigh!!!! IM really thinking when some money comes in of just breaking down and buying a tandem axel load... Hmmmm where shall I put a bin...

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Mar. 10, 2018 11:59 pm

archangel_cpj wrote:
Sat. Mar. 10, 2018 9:55 pm
Man I wish I wasnt like 300 miles from Lehigh!!!! IM really thinking when some money comes in of just breaking down and buying a tandem axel load... Hmmmm where shall I put a bin...
There is Lehigh at Bosler's in Middlefield, Oh

http://www.boslercoal.com/

archangel_cpj

Post by archangel_cpj » Tue. Mar. 13, 2018 12:52 am

thats about 70 miles from here I may giver them a call for pricing... I just watched a guy on you tube screen TSC bags about 15 and looks like he got 1 full bag of rice and smaller fines...

Dakotaguy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Efm 520 highboy
Coal Size/Type: Lots of rice from Lehigh
Other Heating: Pops 2010 df 520 stoker

Post by Dakotaguy » Wed. Jun. 13, 2018 9:28 pm

Our entire family uses Lehigh coal 14 of us to be exact never any problems always clean little to no fines and it's 8 miles from us top notch people and product

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Jun. 14, 2018 8:29 am

OK, I get loaded up on the 21st, thank you Lehigh. The trouble is I did a chitty job on the roof 5 years ago and now i have to pay the piper. No foundation for the 2 ton stones. So the to So the whole roof gets lifted off with the excavator and I suppose this time I will do it properly. Mutter, mutter. In my defense I wanted to see if the whole system worked and if the bin was big enough. Yes to both so now is fix up time ... perhaps some pics to keep my coal brothers amused.

Attachments

100_0181.JPG
.JPG | 838.5KB | 100_0181.JPG
100_0187.JPG
.JPG | 478.2KB | 100_0187.JPG

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Jun. 14, 2018 5:57 pm

ok, so formerly you just stacked those keyed blocks at grade. what do you intend to do now ?

are yu going to move them all, dig a trench to pour a footer in and redo the stacking ?

are you going to cross weave the corners this time ?

i really wish i had the room at home that you enjoy, it make using the 22 tons i have in a corner at work much easier.

steve

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Jun. 14, 2018 7:44 pm

KC .... OK, so formerly I just threw it together willie nillie with no skills, footing or anything else, however, it did house coal for 5 years.. This time I will try to straighten out the blocks with a comealong or two and some gravel and hope it stays together. Crappy roofing will be changed to more crappy roofing. Architectural Digest magazine are going to do a feature on the place. Only the best for me. Fingers crossed as usual that the excavator even starts as that is touch and go these days. It lurches forward for 6 inches and then stops and gurgles. I can't even imagine how much it would cost to get Rob down to fix it so we blunder on.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Jun. 14, 2018 7:55 pm

Did you order buck or rice?

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Jun. 14, 2018 8:05 pm

Rice, but a further order is being considered.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Jun. 14, 2018 9:14 pm

Tried 10 bags of pea. Coal is clean and burns well. Only complaint is that in the plastic bag it remains wet and pea coal takes longer to dry than nut. With a steel chimney this is important. If the bags had some perforations it would be much dryer.

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck, and Nut

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Sat. Jun. 16, 2018 9:02 pm

franco b wrote:
Thu. Jun. 14, 2018 9:14 pm
Tried 10 bags of pea. Coal is clean and burns well. Only complaint is that in the plastic bag it remains wet and pea coal takes longer to dry than nut. With a steel chimney this is important. If the bags had some perforations it would be much dryer.
There are some perforations, however plastic will always hold some moisture.

ratherbeflying
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar MCC
Coal Size/Type: stove, nut, pea
Other Heating: electric baseboard- breakers OFF!!

Post by ratherbeflying » Fri. Aug. 02, 2019 3:29 pm

LehighanthraciteMatt wrote:
Sat. Jun. 16, 2018 9:02 pm
There are some perforations, however plastic will always hold some moisture.
i have been messing around with different brands of coal last year and i have easily come to the conclusion that Lehigh has the highest quality product. :clap: this is between tractor supply, Kimmel, redding and blashack. longest burns/hottest burning per same air setting/least amount of fines/lowest stable burn temps and fastest recovery time. kimmel was very simular, unfortunately found some dirt and a couple rocks in a few bags of pea. tractor supply was the most fines and lower temp and less stable low burn. blashack was also very close but less consistant sizes mostly smaller. redding seemed to be more iron content, only coal ive had a clinker with.

i was wondering if you can tell me if the coal price will change after labor day or not?

ottobody
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Lil heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS comfort max 75
Coal Size/Type: Rice, nut
Other Heating: electric baseboard

Post by ottobody » Sat. Aug. 03, 2019 7:38 am

Now is the time to buy your coal. The prices tend to go up the later in the year you wait. I have already purchased my Lehigh coal that will last me for the next two years. Kimmel coal from tractor supply has been on a decline in quality for the last couple of years. The Kimmel coal I bought last year had a lot of water in the bags and seemed to have a lot of shale mixed in the bags, also they don't stock much, and the price has really gone up. Hope this helps.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”