The New UAE / Harmony Mine Coal

dtzackus
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar LCC

Post by dtzackus » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 8:00 am

Anyone having problems or issues with the new UAE / Harmony Mine coal? My dad's girlfriend is burning it all winter and is having good luck with it. Wanted to see if anyone else is having good luck with it.

Thanks in advance....

lewis

Post by lewis » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 7:20 pm

Over the last few months there have been several posts about the coal containing to many Fines/Dirty. It is white ash anthracite with a high / higher ash content than the red ash. I opted not to use it on the recommendation of my deliveryman.

This year I have burned a ton of Rice and Pea from Keystone no complaints and am currently burning Helfrick coal from the Mid Valley Plant 2 ton of Rice and a Ton of Pea. sizing is a bit small and ash content is comparable to most white ash anthracite. Good heat.

roadking

Post by roadking » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 7:59 pm

Glen burn Harmony burns fine, also just a note it is the same as Helfrick's its from the same operation

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 9:11 pm

I'm very unhappy with the 4 tons of pea I bought in December. Very dirty with lots of fines. Lots of white ash and bone. Low BTU and no "dancing blue ladies". All indicators of refuse coal. I called to complain and was assured it was not refuse coal. Told it was low ash coal from the "Mammoth" vein. I've got my doubts. I asked for a coal analysis of there coal to be mailed to me. That was two weeks ago, still waiting. I bought 3+ tons right after they started selling. That was decent coal, still high ash, but acceptable. My current purchase is the worst coal I've ever bought anywhere.

jschaefer7406

Post by jschaefer7406 » Mon. Feb. 17, 2014 7:23 pm

Hello,

I am on my second load of nut and am happy with it overall. Yes, it definitely does have a LOT of fines. Burns nice and hot though, has really helped with this bitter winter ;).

Ash is a lot higher than Harmony coal, but that's to be expected. Don't think we're going to find another coal with that little ash again...

Overall, I'd recommend it. Burns well, nice people to deal with both times I've gone as well.

Hope this helps,

Joe

Breakerboy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman DVC 500
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Keystoker Oil Boiler Cast iron Standing Radiators

Post by Breakerboy » Sun. Feb. 23, 2014 10:49 pm

I'm a bit confused here on who's coal you guys are referring to with the white ash?? Usually reddish in color...Haven't got coal from UAE Harmony mine this year yet but plan on getting 3/4 ton of rice this week .. That being said it always performed well for me In my stove blue flame lots of heat and around 11 pound ash content from 100# loaded hopper.. On another note. This may sound crazy but I find a shovel full of Harmonys coal feels lighter than most coal significantly lighter almost fluffy if that makes sense.. Others are dense and heavy feeling and I get more bone slate un burnt coal and ash content from the others that seem harder and heavier.. But always had a reddish ash color.. I hope it hasn't changed. I will report my findings

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Feb. 23, 2014 11:19 pm

Breakerboy wrote:I'm a bit confused here on who's coal you guys are referring to with the white ash?? Usually reddish in color...Haven't got coal from UAE Harmony mine this year yet but plan on getting 3/4 ton of rice this week .. That being said it always performed well for me In my stove blue flame lots of heat and around 11 pound ash content from 100# loaded hopper.. On another note. This may sound crazy but I find a shovel full of Harmonys coal feels lighter than most coal significantly lighter almost fluffy if that makes sense.. Others are dense and heavy feeling and I get more bone slate un burnt coal and ash content from the others that seem harder and heavier.. But always had a reddish ash color.. I hope it hasn't changed. I will report my findings
While I haven't used Anthracite, what you are describing sounds normal. Different mines will produce different coal which will in turn burn differently. I'm burning bituminous, but its hard to shake the ashes out of this coal as compared to the other Bit coal I was using...........and I'm getting twice the ash..............but using half the coal to maintain a house temp that is ten degrees warmer.

Hope that made sense :)

lewis

Post by lewis » Sun. Feb. 23, 2014 11:20 pm

Breakerboy wrote:I'm a bit confused here on who's coal you guys are referring to with the white ash?? Usually reddish in color...Haven't got coal from UAE Harmony mine this year yet but plan on getting 3/4 ton of rice this week .. That being said it always performed well for me In my stove blue flame lots of heat and around 11 pound ash content from 100# loaded hopper.. On another note. This may sound crazy but I find a shovel full of Harmonys coal feels lighter than most coal significantly lighter almost fluffy if that makes sense.. Others are dense and heavy feeling and I get more bone slate un burnt coal and ash content from the others that seem harder and heavier.. But always had a reddish ash color.. I hope it hasn't changed. I will report my findings
The Coal you reference is no longer mined its GONE

Breakerboy

Post by Breakerboy » Mon. Feb. 24, 2014 12:00 am

Really ???? The coal UAE mined 2 years ago is gone?? They are still operating because I called... Maybe on another vein ??? Hmmmmm wonder if it's worth the drive I'm only 1hr away but mountain kills .. And other sources are closer

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Mon. Feb. 24, 2014 12:35 am

Breakerboy wrote:Really ???? The coal UAE mined 2 years ago is gone?? They are still operating because I called... Maybe on another vein ??? Hmmmmm wonder if it's worth the drive I'm only 1hr away but mountain kills .. And other sources are closer
I've also heard that Harmony is gone(I duuno cause I'm not there), but what I said is spot on................
Where the coal is mined will determine your heat, and ash output.
As I said, I'm burning bit..............but my new source has my heat output at 50% more, ash at 50% more, but coal usage at 50% less.
Last year cost me 12 tons of coal..............right now I'm at 5 tons................and the first ton was the bad stuff I got last year. Or should I say................the first ton was worse than the bad stuff I've been using for about 7 years.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Mon. Feb. 24, 2014 2:44 am

SWPaDon wrote:
Breakerboy wrote:Really ???? The coal UAE mined 2 years ago is gone?? They are still operating because I called... Maybe on another vein ??? Hmmmmm wonder if it's worth the drive I'm only 1hr away but mountain kills .. And other sources are closer
I've also heard that Harmony is gone(I duuno cause I'm not there), but what I said is spot on................
Where the coal is mined will determine your heat, and ash output.
As I said, I'm burning bit..............but my new source has my heat output at 50% more, ash at 50% more, but coal usage at 50% less.
Last year cost me 12 tons of coal..............right now I'm at 5 tons................and the first ton was the bad stuff I got last year. Or should I say................the first ton was worse than the bad stuff I've been using for about 7 years.
Re: UAE.....the deep shaft mine that the old Harmony mined is shut down. They used a machine called a continuous miner to get the coal. The seam they were mining sloped downward and over the years they kept going further down and the slope finally got to the point the continuous mining machine couldn't be used. They shut down the mine and sold the property and all the equipment. It was purchsed by Mallard Construction.

They are selling strip mined coal from the area. The coal is still in the old mine if you can figure out a way to get it!!! Their coal is blended from different sources. The redeeming point is it's $170 a ton bulk. It burns OK and the ash is a bit higher but if you can get Anthracite for less than $170 a ton bulk, buy it.

Rev. Larry
New Beginning Church
Ashland Pa.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Feb. 24, 2014 8:46 am

You guys that are concerned with a lack of dancing blue ladies need to give er more AIR--for anyone that came into this world of coal thinking it was an EXACT science---I don't know what to tell you--for myself with my stove set-up, those dancing blue ladies do nothing but waste coal so I just keep a DEEP bed of red hot coals & the house (2600 sq) stays at a nice comfy 72-74* Just sayin :)

Breakerboy

Post by Breakerboy » Tue. Feb. 25, 2014 9:45 pm

Well I drove to Harmony today was loaded with ease 4 skid loader buckets dumped into the back of my F250 .. Coal was a bit frozen in clumps which is to be expected this time of year very nice man loaded me he picked up a load dumped it and loaded again to try and break up the frozen clumps which didn't matter much it was a frozen clump of black gold when I got home about 26 miles later.. Coal looked decent a bit of mix I think of buckwheat cost was 170.00 ton young ladie at window was also very curtious and welcoming. Growing up in the area I never really took the time to check out the mine fire nearby so me and my buddy stopped near the intersection heading toward Ashland to take a look at area.. Very easy to spot what's going on as there was no snow in a big area where everywhere else there was 10" of icy snow .. We weren't the only ones interested either saw cars parked along the long abandoned road with Virginia Massachusetts and New York plates.. Took a short walk and found about 4 openings between rocks with steam and sulfur smell pouring out they were marked with little red numbered flags.. A tragic event here indeed but also amazed me.. The Anthracite region is my home it has always been and likely always will be.. Great hard working people in the area proud of there roots.. If you make the trek to UAE Harmony mine check out near by Centralia and get yourself some good food and drink... I will report my findings on the new operations coal once I let it thaw and dry up a bit...

Breakerboy

Post by Breakerboy » Thu. Feb. 27, 2014 12:06 am

Got a few hundred pounds thawed and dried.. This I what I found , as been said a few times it's got a good bit of fines as my Harman DVC-500 has a fines tray to catch it filled hopper with 95 pound of Glenn Burn/ Old UAE Harmony coal and cleaned out fines tray.. It had a good bit in the tray when I checked it ... A use Rice coal and noticed that the sizing is all over the place size. ranged from Buckwheat down to Barley ... Almost a mixture of all 3.. Good part is my stove don't seem to mind it that much a bit of crunching going on from time to time as it's feeding but I have heard that before and stove is in Unfinshed basement ducted kind of red neck style but hey it's cozy up here as I type on my couch and it's 16 degrees out.. As for the heat output it's burning hot hotter than most reason I know this is setting has been the same on stove as far as feed rate and temp setting from last source of coal was loaded.. I have a floor vent with duct 5 ft below a wall mounted thermostat that controls my oil furnace which is off well turned down as low as possible .. Temp reads 80 degrees as I type.. Similar conditions as for wind and temp outside with other coal with same stove settings temp would read 74 to 76 on thermostat.. So it's burning a bit hotter as per my crude testing... Ash color is off white with minor amount of shale and bone.. And as far as I can tell from that weighed out 95 pound hopper load of coal it's ash content is not bad I would say it would run around 10 to 12 % .. All in all I'm satisfied with it for 170.00 a ton picked up its a good source people were very friendly my only concern is the sizing hope it causes no issues don't won't it to go down as for the fines they are present but it's winter coal was frozen and they have to keep fluffing the pile from time to time with skid loader bucket so it don't take much to break it down into finer coal from that..

Breakerboy

Post by Breakerboy » Thu. Feb. 27, 2014 12:09 am

They also had skid loads of bagged coal price I believe was 5.25 a 50 pound bag call to make sure of pricing and availability if interested

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”