Anyone Having Reading Issues With the New Black Bagged Stuff

Got Coal? You can make dealer inquiries here for both anthracite and bituminous coal. Co-op information for those looking to purchase in bulk as a group. Reviews on different brands and dealers.
dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post Fri. Feb. 14, 2014 5:54 am

After seeing the inside of KingCoals bag... let me say that is HORRIBLE! Its one thing to get some different sizes (pea, nut, few big honkers of stove once in awhile maybe)... but those fines + water = UNFAIR at best and DECEPTIVE at worst and I hope anyone receiving those kind of bags sends a message right back to whomever it came from.

On another note... "Anyone want to start a fish tank filter business" THATS HILARIOUS IN THE FACE OF THIS KIND OF FRUSTRATION toothy

tmbrddl
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 30, Oak Andes 216
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove

Post Mon. Feb. 17, 2014 9:53 pm

I'm a relative newcomer to burning coal only having been at it for three years but this year has been the toughest yet. Blaschak has been hard to come by in Maine this season with more and more people burning coal and it has forced me to turn to Reading. Junk, absolute junk. I don't know if it is by accident or design but the bags consists of 50% watery fines. I don't believe I'm exaggerating.

I bought some bags of Reading last year when my local Blaschak dealer was closed on a Sunday and it was of poor quality then. This year is far worse. The only recourse I have is to try to never buy it again. What are they thinking?

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

KingCoal918
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane Coal Cooker Model 88
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut

Post Mon. Feb. 17, 2014 11:06 pm

tmbrddl wrote:I bought some bags of Reading last year when my local Blaschak dealer was closed on a Sunday and it was of poor quality then. This year is far worse. The only recourse I have is to try to never buy it again. What are they thinking?
It's a matter of supply and demand. I don't know what your options are down east, but the dealer from whom I bought the Reading we've all been struggling with is the only source in Boston metro. He put it to me simply, do you want it or not? I'm your source, Blaschak is back ordered, Reading is what's available. He said he'd happily return my check, and pick the coal up. Someone else will burn it.

This is not a market where we have many options, especially for a fuel source with as much bad PR as coal. Despite all the fracas over fracking, we might as well be burning kittens. Who wants to deal in narrow margin fuel kittens? Not many.
michael

hand-set letterpress printing | hand-fired stove | hand-shoveled snow

firefighter255
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mk III
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post Mon. Feb. 17, 2014 11:22 pm

This is my second season with my stove, and we've had to resort to using Reading nut a couple of times, and I've been disappointed. The bulk of the stuff we've fired has been Blaschek and a bulk delivery from a different breaker. Every time we've had to get Reading the size has been extremely inconsistent, and there's been a ton of fines and slurry in each bag. Fortunately, I just found a place selling bulk nut for a decent price not too far.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”