Blaschak Coal Quality Issues This Year?

Wiggles1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by Wiggles1 » Wed. Mar. 05, 2014 3:51 pm

I am getting coal from someone that bags his coal for sale I burn nut coal but having same problems as you also have brother in law who's having same problems as you he also has Kimmel coal and having same problems we live in Massachusetts I think for coal it has been a year for bad quality all around

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Mar. 05, 2014 7:26 pm

I went through four tons of Blaschack so far this year and every bag was outstanding.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Mar. 05, 2014 7:52 pm

I quit bashing Blaschak and began singing its praises when I found out that my supposedly Blaschak troubles were really issues that a proper boiler clean-out cured. Blaschak is doing fine by me.

grimmy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Dovre
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by grimmy » Wed. Mar. 05, 2014 9:18 pm

Later in the winter the amount of coal stock is lower in the sizes of rice and nut. For the breakers to meet the demand, they use rice grinders. Mine run rice is a more uniform size. When the supply is getting low, breakers mix Buckwheat and Pea, and grind to produce rice. It is then ran through rerun tables in the breaker. Unfortunately, grindings are a dirtier mix, and the sizing is a bit more rough. Most breakers have a screen one size larger on the rerun side for rice. That allows for the majority of coal to be collected in the rice bin. Although the piece of coal may look like Buck or Pea in length, check the thickness. Grinders are double wheeled, and sometimes just split the coal length wise. Which is a drawback for grindings. We ask or customers if grindings are ok, or if they would like to wait for mine run rice. If the rice grindings came from a stove grinder, they normally look more uniform. Due to the larger piece of coal being ground. Unfortunately, when you grind 20 ton of stove you make a majority of nut and only about 2 ton of rice. So a rice grinder is more economical for a breaker. I know that doesn't solve the unpleasantness you get from opening the bag and seeing that, but it's a bit of an explaination for the mix of sizing.

BennyLumpkin

Post by BennyLumpkin » Sun. Mar. 16, 2014 6:43 pm

I had a few ton of Blaschak junk left in my bin from spring so I dumped Mallard on top....worked great til the Mallard was gone....as soon as I got into the Blaschak and temps outside were below 35 my ka6 turns into a giant coke cake....though maybe because I hose my coal a bit for dust I put all the garbage on the bottom. ...needed coal and didn't have time to go get it so my local guy delivered 5 tom of Blaschak and its going through my boiler like crap through a goose.....lots of fines, and I have to break the coke cake off my grates 3 or 4 times a day.....never again wil that junk be in my bin. I've tried every setting and setup with my boiler to get it to stop coking and it can't be done.....Mallard I just put it in and took ash out....easy peasy

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 16, 2014 6:57 pm

Never bought anything sight unseen, seems silly to me. Maybe next year, you'll make time & see what you're getting. 5 ton huh?????????? I've never had a problem with BLASCHAK nut in 6 seasons in my hand fired. I think what Larry said about cleaning his unit real well is very important, them thar girly stoves seem to be pretty sensitive. ;) BL--bagged or bulk? A lot of people sellin BLASCHAK bulk & it's not:(

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Sun. Mar. 16, 2014 8:44 pm

I just finished 3-1/2 ton of Blaschak stove,it was the worst I ever put in my boiler(used 3 other brands).Twice the ash, half the heat,burned up faster,NEVER AGAIN will I use Blaschak.I thought I bought far more than I needed for this winter and had to go out and get more and a better quailty coal.

BennyLumpkin

Post by BennyLumpkin » Mon. Mar. 17, 2014 8:09 am

Maybe you should read a bit further into my post.....I had Blaschak from last year but thought I washed it down with junk so I gave benefit of the doubt and bought more locally from a guy that sells Blaschak bulk.... I always buy bulk. Their coal is garbage....and what makes my stove girly? Because I don't have to babysit it? I've bought Harmony coal since the second load I ever purchased but ended up woth Blaschak when Harmony closed. As soon as Mallard opened it I went back and other than it was more ashy it was great coal.....I bought Blaschak out of necessity and regret it.....no problem.....I've used 6 ton since last April til last month....bought 5 ton of blaschak and I've burned 1/2 of it in a month.....looks like a spring trip to Mt. Carmel

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 17, 2014 8:22 am

Just sayin Dennis--I got a mix of nut/stove this year & it is outstanding--I can't even guess at what you got in your load:( BL, what makes your stove girly is just a little humor here on the forum, you remember humor???? Of course I can't reall say much about what you've got there for the most part because you, after 2 or 3 burning seasons, can't put up where you're from or what size coal you're using in your profile. My only statement was that "I" would never buy a large load unless I'd seen it or had a lot of confidence in my supplier, which happily I do. BUT, still do a visual before he unloads. BL, have you made any adjustments on your stove due to the different coal?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Mar. 17, 2014 8:24 am

Fred, can you tell how the coal will burn by simply looking at it? I certainly can't. The hottest burning stuff I ever got my hands on looked terrible in the pail.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 17, 2014 8:33 am

Nope, that's KIND of a crap shoot, but I think I can get a pretty good idea with actually being here when my delivery comes--some of us can, some can't be available--I do know that if I'm putting $1000.00 $$$ or so into something, I'm gonna be available. NO, I don't play that it's gotta be super shiny, or absolutely on the money size wise--it's coal & is what it is.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Mar. 17, 2014 8:42 am

freetown fred wrote:NO, I don't play that it's gotta be super shiny, or absolutely on the money size wise--it's coal & is what it is.
I don't get too fussy over the appearance either...in my case I already own the coal by the time it shows up, so it wouldn't do any good to complain anyway.

I haven't burned Blaschak coal in a few years, but it was always excellent when I did. Maybe I will pick up a few bags of their rice this week just so I can have an opinion. :)

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 17, 2014 8:47 am

That seems to be a lot of the complaints, with the rice--even the 80 some bags of nut & stove I picked up, I've opened a few just out of curiosity & they've all been dry, consistent in size & burn well. I still empty my as pan every 24 hrs--it's all good on this end:)

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Mon. Mar. 17, 2014 9:30 am

Dennis wrote:I just finished 3-1/2 ton of Blaschak stove ... Twice the ash, half the heat,burned up faster
I just finished 2-1/2 tons of Kimmel, then switched to Blaschak. Blaschak has less volatiles, less ash, more heat, burns up slower and steadier. Go figure. Just the luck of the draw? :?: :|

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Mar. 18, 2014 7:53 pm

5 bags of Blaschak rice followed me home. Sizing is different than my other product, looks like it has more pieces at each edge of the spec. No dust or fines, looks like a very nice product. The real test will be in a few days when the EFM starts burning it.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”