Reading Coal Supplier in CT - by New London (Delivered)

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Wed. Sep. 03, 2014 8:50 pm

JohnB wrote:66°-68°! Those are oil heat temps! We like to be toasty in the winter.
They are ones that I am comfortable as everyone different.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. Sep. 07, 2014 2:46 am

ddahlgren wrote:
JohnB wrote:66°-68°! Those are oil heat temps! We like to be toasty in the winter.
They are ones that I am comfortable as everyone different.
Oil heating temps?? *faint*

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Sun. Sep. 07, 2014 8:12 am

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Oil heating temps?? *faint*
To each their own. I like toasty at times though find it makes the cold outside feel even colder and makes my head very stuffy. I sleep much better in a cool room as well. If I am going to be in the shop for 8 hours I really don't care if the couch feels a bit chilly LOL. At the end of the day I am a greenie and don't take more in resources than I need. I have other friends that are as well and many think me the devil reincarnate for wanting to burn coal. I remind them we have an almost boundless supply if allowed to mine it and the ash can be a useful by product rather than a hazardous waste that has to be dealt with. While not wanting to wander into a political discussion I find most that are energy conservatives to be on the far left and me on the right causes them great pause mentally. Suggesting we spend a relaxing afternoon at the range target shooting will send them into a rant that needs to be filmed LOL.

I have a cord of wood and need to get aother and maybe another half ton of coal locally and while 25 cents more a bag there is no delivery charge and have 2 cords of wood and 3 tons of coal. Saying that it adds up to another full ton of coal so wondering if that a better move in the end. Any advice? I seems like 3 1/2 tons more than enough with a stove that burns 40 lbs. a day sounds like 175 days burning coal at full on in a Crane 404.
Last edited by ddahlgren on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fix quote box

JohnB
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Mostly nut, some pea

Post by JohnB » Sun. Sep. 07, 2014 9:07 am

We like the bedroom cool but prefer a nice warm living room/kitchen area. Do you have a separate woodstove or will you be burning the wood in the Crane? Our Hitzer is a great coal stove but sucks (imo) at burning wood. No big deal as I've gotten very good at building small coal fires in the shoulder months. Eventually I'll put the Jotul 500 in the house & use that to knock off the chill in Fall & Spring.

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Sun. Sep. 07, 2014 10:43 am

Sold the woodstove and moving on to coal so no turning back without considerable expense. I have the wood and free heat in the fall and spring where an hour or so will take the chill off and need some to start the coal. It will be helpful to get the draft started as I have a painfully short chimney though drafts well once colder weather starts in and will pull 0.05 even on a warm day with no fire in the woodstove so go figure there. I don't care if the wood is not all that efficient as long as it burn clean and suspect it will be closer to an incinerator than a source of heat. I will also no doubt take a few tries at getting a oal fire going and if a fail no big deal just throw some wood in and get the chill off and try again another day until I am in control of things and not endlessly trying to figure it out when it is a must have. I burned about 50 gallons of oil making hot water last year and had 100 delivered the other day so hoping that goes until 2016 to be honest. I hope this all makes some sense in the bigger picture.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Sun. Sep. 07, 2014 11:08 am

Does the Crane have any air intake above the grates? Say under or around the load door? If so it should do well burning wood. If it's like my Hitzer which only pulls in air under the grates then it will be so-so. I can burn wood but it's not pretty. The window immediately soots up & it never really gets burning like it would in one of my Jotuls.

If you don't have any on hand grab a big bag of charcoal briquettes before the stores put it away for the season. I use the standard Kingsford stuff to start all my coal fires. Works much better for me then trying to start a fire on wood coals. If the draft is an issue during the shoulder months I set a small fan in front of the air intake to force air through until the fire gets going enough to bring up the draft.

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Sun. Sep. 07, 2014 11:56 am

I was thinking of adding a secondary air inlet as pretty easy to do. Without a baffle and secondary air tube I am not expecting much on wood to be honest. I can not think of any reason why coal stoves for the most part don't have any baffles between the coal and stack. I did briefly think about adding one and converting it to top flue outlet to make room for it. While a very good design the more I look at it I think 6 to 8 inches taller a baffle and secondary air tube would have it made it very exceptional. One of the reasons I am switching to coal is to learn more about it and possibly building one using all the good ideas each has to offer.

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ed.A » Mon. Sep. 08, 2014 10:49 am

Called Ice coal...330per ton base price not deliverd ...and they don't deliver to ne Ct anyways.
So BT beats them out big time imo

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Mon. Sep. 08, 2014 11:05 am

BT quoted 122 to deliver 2 skids to Mystic . Dale was a couple of dollars more for the coal by the ton but delivery saved me the difference and put 25 back in my pocket overall, The forklift was a real bonus as I did not have to do anything other than point to where I wanted it.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Mon. Sep. 08, 2014 11:43 am

Ed.A wrote:Called Ice coal...330per ton base price not deliverd ...and they don't deliver to ne Ct anyways.
So BT beats them out big time imo
In northeastern CT. pelletsdirect.com charges $59-$79 for delivery if you want bagged Blaschak.
http://shop.pelletsdirect.com/High-Heat-Anthracit ... qscsfapp01 Their prices have gone up $10 a ton since last month plus in July there was another $5 a ton discount when I bought mine.

Cranston Coal in Cranston, R.I. will deliver bulk coal to N.E. Ct. border towns. No idea what his current pricing is or what he's carrying for coal.
http://www.cranstoncoal.com/

Fleet Fuel in Johnston, R.I. http://www.fleetfuelri.com/Coal.aspx Will deliver bagged Reading Coal also.

BT quoted me $150 for delivery.

I see BT is up to $300 a ton now from this summers price of $284 a ton. That would make them much more expensive then Pelletsdirect once you factor in the delivery charge to this area.

Best coal deals are definitely in mid summer!

Ed.A

Post by Ed.A » Mon. Sep. 08, 2014 12:16 pm

I ordered from Bt, @ $328 per delivered. I will check this pellet direct place though. Strange how people were quoting 290 from Ice though when just told me $330 base cost.

Ed.A

Post by Ed.A » Mon. Sep. 08, 2014 12:27 pm

Im not going to cancel my order over a $35 total savings.
Cranston has always been too expensive. ..and im not going bulk ( if I were there's a guy on here who is cheaper than anyone else).

Bt has always treated me well and my cost is the same as 2012 cost...maybe next order from pellet direct

Thanks for the effort though.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Mon. Sep. 08, 2014 12:49 pm

$328 a ton? What's BT charging you for delivery? At the $300 a ton price on their site plus the $150 they quoted me to come to Danielson the 3.6 tons I bought from P/D would be $341 a ton right now from BT.

Ed.A

Post by Ed.A » Mon. Sep. 08, 2014 7:21 pm

Quoted me 295 base.
P/D is 371 a pallet (1.2 ton) 5 pallets us + 80 del. 1935.00 USD = 6 tons.
BT..6 ton (Bristol to Canterbury is 85 miles one way) $1970...Net change $35 Dolla.

Like I said, BT treated me good in 2012 and that's what im paying now. Maybe next yr ill call P/D earlier in the season. Im not going to change orders over $35 bucks.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Mon. Sep. 08, 2014 9:07 pm

So BT charged $200 for delivery?

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”