RR Coal in Lykens PA - Video

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Thu. Jan. 23, 2014 12:00 pm

Here's a quick video of burning some coal that I got from RR Coal in Lykens, Dauphin County, PA. This is mined from the western edge of the southern field, near the Dauphin/Schuylkill county line. According to the PA DCNR coal maps, this would be semi-anthracite. This seems to be the case, as I've never seen anthracite make yellow flames like this stuff does. It also has a more noticeable sulfur smell when it burns. It seems to burn well, it doesn't clinker too much for a red ash coal, and the amount of ashes it generates isn't too bad.

I was burning UAE harmony (the old deep mined UAE) prior to this. In comparison, when loading fresh coal, the RR's higher volatile content is very noticeable by the intensity of the flames coming from the secondary combustion ports. I'm satisfied with it at $170/ton.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Jan. 23, 2014 12:31 pm

I've burned a lot of it. Lots of heat, easy ignition. :)

Pap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Pap » Sat. Jan. 25, 2014 3:35 pm

My four year old grandson and I went up to RR coal this morning. We picked up 2 1/2 tons of pea coal. I like their coal to, down here around Middletown pa it around $250.00 per ton if you buy less than three tons. So at $170.00 pet ton it is a good deal. And get to spend some poppy time with my grandson it is a win win for me. Noah (my grandson) calles it "The coal factory"

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Jan. 25, 2014 4:50 pm

Cool video LD.. I like seeing the secondary air mixing after load up. Can you cut back the secondary air after burn off? Or is it fixed..

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Sat. Jan. 25, 2014 4:56 pm

I love their coal. I just can't get anybody to haul it.

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Sat. Jan. 25, 2014 8:09 pm

Lightning wrote:Cool video LD.. I like seeing the secondary air mixing after load up. Can you cut back the secondary air after burn off? Or is it fixed..
The secondary air on the DS Circulator stoves is fixed, unless you use the DS newstyle door. I have a newstyle door but I only use it when burning bit. They have the overfire air set up just right on these stoves from the factory for anthracite.

plumberman
Stoker Coal Boiler: coal gun 130
Coal Size/Type: pea
Other Heating: solar dhw/samsung mini split/oil

Post by plumberman » Fri. Feb. 07, 2014 3:23 pm

bought load of anthracite through penn keystone [tt load]. turns out it came from rr coal in lykens pa, has some wood/roots mixed in but not enough to cause any sort of problems. seems to burn fine no complaints, I think this summer i'll make a run down to hudson coal and pick up 4 ton for a trial run next fall, want to see if it is any cleaner [washed?] and compare the two. this is the first year for me burning coal, so I would like to experiment a little. ps I am using pea size in a coal gun 130. and the ash does not look at all like you showed in video mine is whiteish, brownish, and bunch that looks un-burnt but it is, you can crush easily.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Feb. 07, 2014 6:44 pm

NICE find LDP :)

Pap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Pap » Fri. Feb. 07, 2014 8:22 pm

This is my first year burning coal from RR coal in Lykens. I always bought my coal from local sellers but when their prices went to $250.00 a ton I started using coal from RR. When they load the coal it comes out on a conveyer belt and it is soaked with water as it comes out into your truck or trailer. So I think it is washed pretty well when it is loaded. I am on my third ton this year and never had any roots or wood mixed in it. Could it have come from the dealer you bought it from?

plumberman
Stoker Coal Boiler: coal gun 130
Coal Size/Type: pea
Other Heating: solar dhw/samsung mini split/oil

Post by plumberman » Sat. Feb. 08, 2014 7:18 am

i half wonder that too, the driver said he had to look for a back haul, so how good does he clean the truck out??

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Feb. 08, 2014 9:51 am

It is common to find some wood mixed in with coal. If the wood is about the same diameter as the coal, it probably went through the breaker. If it is considerably bigger than the coal, it may have gotten mixed in while piled in the yard.

Riddlerlloyd
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil fired steam convectors

Post by Riddlerlloyd » Thu. Dec. 27, 2018 6:07 pm

Bringing this thread back up, I drove by this place yesterday on my way back from Blaschak, took the long way home. Does anyone know if they are still in business? I already had coal on the truck or I would have stopped, the sign had hours posted but wasn’t sure if they were current.

Rufcar
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van wert
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Rufcar » Thu. Jan. 24, 2019 1:56 pm

R+R was sub letting from Kimmel coal who filed for bankruptcy last fall. They have new owners but that old breaker never reopened as they have not run that particular breaker in some time since they have a new one "blue steel" across the street. Superior coal is just over the mountain off rt 25 near spring glen and they have what you need. My supplier has a breaker off the east side of Hegins exit off 81. The owner is from Elyesburg and the coal is mixed from local deep mines and some local strip mines. I like it as it ha s a mixed white and red ash. Recently though they have been out of coal often due to demand. I usually get a full truck of 6 tons delivered but had to wait 2 weeks extra until production caught up.

Riddlerlloyd
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil fired steam convectors

Post by Riddlerlloyd » Mon. Feb. 18, 2019 8:28 pm

Thank you for the info on R&R sir, and the tip on Superior. I stopped over there today and picked up a ton of Nut. We’ll see how it burns in the Glenwood. I did notice that the sizing seemed a little larger than I’m used to for Nut coal. Fingers crossed on it as it was about half the distance for me.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Mon. Feb. 18, 2019 8:40 pm

i burned a lot of superior coal until i got two bad loads in a row. they would not compensate me for it either....stuff had to be 45% ash and put out very little heat.
sherman coal was the closest to my old place after the hegins breaker closed. i prefered to drive to mt carmel for coal because they load dry. got my little truck stuck at the sherman breaker on the ice more than once. never got stuck in mt carmel. i used them even after uae closed.
i moved back to berks county and it's cheaper to have it delivered now. burning blaschak coal delivered by countryside coal.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”