On the Phone With Dealers

coalstoves
Location: Mt.Carmel Pa. Located on The Western Middle Anthracite Field

Post by coalstoves » Tue. Jan. 22, 2008 3:22 pm

Here in the forum we see a lot of different brands discussed so I was curious about the bottom line ( Price ) and called some Dealers it wasn't good .
  • There was no answer at the leisure line factory direct store I got Voice Mail
  • The 2 Reading dealers were fun the factory Direct store wanted to know where I was calling from before giving a price and the second one told me the stoves didn't come with distribution blowers even though I specified the Allegheny model
  • The 2nd LL dealer was OK but when asked about the "Fancy Thermostat" he told me he wasn't sure and that it was rheostat controlled but there might be something else available.
I became happy I'm not really in the market for a stove and the lesson learned so far is the consumer would be best served to get as much info as possible on their own before calling a Dealer and manufacturers need to better educate the Dealers

Everybody should be grateful for this forum especially the Newbies on the market for a stove

katman
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum
Other Heating: Harman PB 105 Pellet Boiler

Post by katman » Tue. Jan. 22, 2008 3:57 pm

If you want a real laugh try visiting a dealer in my area and asking about coal stoves and boilers! One local dealer (he handles that brand that the manufacturer forces you to go to dealers) said he would order a coal stove for me cause he would love to see what one looks like.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Jan. 22, 2008 5:23 pm

Coalstoves you start out saying that you were going to call and get PRICES but nowhere in your post is there a price mentioned...

Now, about phones. When all lines are busy, most business phones go to voicemail... maybe, just maybe the lines were all busy?? Did you leave a message with a price request to see if you would get a call back?? What time did you call, was it even during their business hours??

If you want a price quote on a product, why use a derogatory term for it [fancy thermostat] when you know the real name for the product...[Coal Trol] So maybe the dealer could look up the product by it's real name on his price list for you.??

Did you call any Keystoker dealers?? How about Harman?? Or Bakerstoves?? How about Alaska? Hitzer??

If you are going to make some calls about stove pricing, why not report on pricing?? IS that what you really set out to do?? Isn't it??

Greg L

Jerry & Karen

Post by Jerry & Karen » Tue. Jan. 22, 2008 5:34 pm

Coalstoves,
My name is Karen. You probably heard my name on the voicemail message that you did not respond to by leaving your name and number.I return all messages ASAP.
If you are looking for prices and information we have them listed on our web site at **Broken Link(s) Removed**. I can also give you any information you want about the (fancy) thermostat.
My hours are also listed on the web site and on the phone message.

Karen
co/ower Leisure Line Stoves and Valley Stoves and Fire Place

North Candlewood
Stoker Coal Boiler: Eshland S-130
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 120
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1602
Baseburners & Antiques: Princess Atlantic Cookstove
Coal Size/Type: Nut Rice

Post by North Candlewood » Tue. Jan. 22, 2008 5:40 pm

Yesterday I emailed Keystoker, simply asked to: Please have someone contact me, leaving phone number and email.
Reply was "What seems to be your problem" That was it... I'll forward that to anyone in disbelief.
Whats up with that!

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Tue. Jan. 22, 2008 5:47 pm

Well you won't have that problem with Harman. They just don't publish a phone number! :shock: Although on their home page there is a picture of a nice looking young women with a telephone headset on, they give no phone number when you click the contact us links or support links. I've got the magic # if anyone wants it, pm me.

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Tue. Jan. 22, 2008 6:10 pm

I called AHS and Keystoker back in December.

AHS 260 $8000 I think. I called about the 500 and it was $15000 but If I committed before January it would be $13000.

Keystoker refered me to the dealers. I went down to Tunhannock. The KE-12 was $6000 and the KE-15 was $7000.

I will probably go with the KE-12 this summer if I don't find a good used boiler by then. Till then searching daily.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Tue. Jan. 22, 2008 6:37 pm

How about calling a few Harman dealers? Would be interesting to see the variation there for your area. Maybe a few other brands as well? I have never purchased a stove new so my need for dealer/factory service is parts purchasing, which personally I feel is the most important aspect of stove ownership. :)

In my travels as junk collector and stove refurb-a-holic I have had opportunity to call on three Harman dealers, that was not a nice experience, terminal hold twice and on the third didn't have the part and wouldn't order it unless I drove down there and paid first. :shock: I was able to purchase a hopper from the nice folks at a Harman dealership up near

I have also purchased from LL factory store, didn't call just stopped by on my way back from getting coal. Had everything needed. Went to the Alaska factory store with Jpen, friendly folks there, didn't actually buy anything. Bought some stoker motors and grates from the fella out by Honesdale that is a farmer andpart time Alaska dealer, another nice guy to deal with. Have purchased numerous items from Keystoker over the phone, armed with my stove build number I have always gotten what I needed within three days of the call. Went to Country Fireplace in Dupont, they sell LL and Keystoker mostly. Bought Alsaka glass and Keystoker glass, very nice folks. Then there is purchasing numerous generic items on ebay like gasket material, gasket cement, etc........

So not only is it nice to have this forum and the wonderful people who contribute, but the manufacturers and dealers both large and small that are willing to support their products after the sale......... I SALUTE YOU. :!: :)

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Jan. 22, 2008 6:44 pm

coalkirk wrote:Although on their home page there is a picture of a nice looking young women with a telephone headset on, they give no phone number when you click the contact us links or support links. I.
That's funny...

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Jan. 22, 2008 8:49 pm

katman wrote:If you want a real laugh try visiting a dealer in my area and asking about coal stoves and boilers! One local dealer (he handles that brand that the manufacturer forces you to go to dealers) said he would order a coal stove for me cause he would love to see what one looks like.
If it's the brand I'm thinking of they have a display trailer that opens up on one side. It's all set up with lighting, stoves on display, etc.

I've seen it parked at the dealer where I bought my stove (OOPS!) many times.

If that's the brand I guess they didn't bother telling that dealer about it!

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Jan. 22, 2008 9:02 pm

coalstoves wrote:
  • There was no answer at the leisure line factory direct store I got Voice Mail
Why didn't you leave a message?

tvb

Post by tvb » Tue. Jan. 22, 2008 9:07 pm

The local Harman dealer wanted me to pay for shipping a coal stove from the factory; meanwhile if I wanted a coal or pellet stove, that's already taken care of. Last week, I sent emails to several different dealers asking for information on their stoves and not a single one responded. Maybe it's their busy season, I don't know :P

Meanwhile, Karen who replied in this thread answered a couple emails late in the evening (well after business hours I imagine) a month or so ago when I first started thinking about upgrading to a better stove. It is likely to be her to get my business when I take the plunge on a new unit later this year as I am pretty sure I want to go with the Pioneer model. While it was you guys who convinced me the Pioneer is probably the best unit for me, it was her attention that made me feel that the sale would be supported as necessary down the road.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Jan. 22, 2008 9:59 pm

i went to the reading stove factory in 06 and they showed me around......i almost bought a scratch and dent utility stove for 1000, but I found the alaska on ebay instead......they gave me prices of all the stokers.......when I called the factory store during buisiness hrs I got voicemail so since i'm near the factory, I went there instead.......frustrating when you want to buy something and nobody will give you a price or has no clue

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Tue. Jan. 22, 2008 10:13 pm

Rendering any opinion on an industry based on a sample of 4 calls isn't something I'd consider wise.

pbmax

Post by pbmax » Tue. Jan. 22, 2008 10:51 pm

coalkirk wrote:Well you won't have that problem with Harman. They just don't publish a phone number! :shock: Although on their home page there is a picture of a nice looking young women with a telephone headset on, they give no phone number when you click the contact us links or support links. I've got the magic # if anyone wants it, pm me.
I called Harman. It was tough to get the number. I think I did a WHOIS search and called the office # listed. Done that for a couple websites that don't publish phone #s.
The Harman folk helped me figure out which stove I had and sent me the manual for it. Local dealer had the replacement glass for me in stock and even made a house call to tell me what needed to be fixed before it was good to burn. Not a FREE housecall, but he checked it out and showed me how/where to clean it.

The electric company just leaves nasty notes on your door when you don't call to set up an appointment to get your meter upgraded. bastards.
pb

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”