Any Members Ever Buy Coal From Riverside Coal Out of Boston

User avatar
DePippo79
Member
Posts: 731
Joined: Tue. Mar. 05, 2013 3:17 pm
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.
Location: Hampton, NH

Post Sun. Aug. 25, 2013 5:19 pm

Hi all. I'm really pleased with my current supplier, but Riverside Coal out of Boston, Ma delivers bulk to my town and I would just like to get as many tons as they can deliver at once and start stock piling. Any of you ever purchase from them? Thanks Matt.

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

stovehospital
Member
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat. Jun. 25, 2011 7:00 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: 250 stoves in barns
Stove/Furnace Model: #6 Herald baseheater

Post Mon. Aug. 26, 2013 7:32 am

I got a ton of bagged coal from him last year. He was very good to work with. He also dropped by my shop and we had a great time talking business. Emery

User avatar
DePippo79
Member
Posts: 731
Joined: Tue. Mar. 05, 2013 3:17 pm
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.
Location: Hampton, NH

Post Mon. Aug. 26, 2013 3:18 pm

Called Riverside coal and was very happy I did. Very down to earth. He can deliver 6 tons at a time. $285.00 ton plus $45.00 flat rate delivery fee. I think that is very reasonable considering he is in Boston. Think I'll alternate between him and the first guy I bought from.

frank33v
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu. Oct. 13, 2011 5:33 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Location: Massachusetts

Post Fri. Sep. 13, 2013 12:30 pm

I got bagged coal from him the last two years and will be getting more this year. Very reasonable and easy to work with.

User avatar
chubbycoalboy
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon. Feb. 13, 2012 12:12 am
Stove/Furnace Model: Coal Chubby Sr.

Post Mon. Sep. 23, 2013 11:36 pm

Yes I have in the past and put my order in on 8/21/2013 and still waiting for it. Paul is a decent guy to do business with and his prices are fair. I order 2 ton of nut coal every year to burn in my coal chubby stove. I get it bagged and store it in my garage and Paul pushes the pallots into the garage with his small fork lift.

ASHDUMP
Member
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue. Sep. 10, 2013 9:03 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404
Stove/Furnace Make: Crane
Stove/Furnace Model: 404
Location: Massashootin'

Post Wed. Sep. 25, 2013 8:56 pm

I ordered 1 ton and Paul said delivery in early October.... I'm not worried - He seems like a genuine guy.

ASHDUMP
Member
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue. Sep. 10, 2013 9:03 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404
Stove/Furnace Make: Crane
Stove/Furnace Model: 404
Location: Massashootin'

Post Fri. Oct. 25, 2013 6:05 pm

chubbycoalboy wrote:Yes I have in the past and put my order in on 8/21/2013 and still waiting for it. Paul is a decent guy to do business with and his prices are fair. I order 2 ton of nut coal every year to burn in my coal chubby stove. I get it bagged and store it in my garage and Paul pushes the pallots into the garage with his small fork lift.
You get your coal yet?

User avatar
jjs777_fzr
Member
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed. Jan. 07, 2009 8:17 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Penn Coal Stove & Chubby
Other Heating: CFM Wood Stove & Englander 25-PDVC Pellet Stove
Location: Northshore Massachusetts
Contact:

Post Wed. Jan. 15, 2014 7:09 am

I called for a 2 ton order last week - and the gentleman that answered said he was on the road and would be better if I used the web based request form.
I filled out the form last week and again yesterday.
Still no return calls or email replies. I don't mind waiting if this is a one man operation.

It was nice to see he took the time to throw a couple youtube video's out there for the coal delivery process.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-2PtG5fqKEp27nmEPmGMqw

And for what its worth - riversidecoal.com is the same as bostoncoal.com as far as the looks and feel of the site - and the published contact number etc.

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

User avatar
SMITTY
Member
Posts: 11912
Joined: Sun. Dec. 11, 2005 12:43 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - (custom built by Jim Dorsey, Taunton MA - RIP 4/18/13)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (SOLD!)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler
Location: West-Central Mass

Post Wed. Jan. 15, 2014 10:10 am

Shocked & amazed that something in Boston is cheaper than out here! :o

User avatar
jjs777_fzr
Member
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed. Jan. 07, 2009 8:17 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Penn Coal Stove & Chubby
Other Heating: CFM Wood Stove & Englander 25-PDVC Pellet Stove
Location: Northshore Massachusetts
Contact:

Post Wed. Jan. 15, 2014 11:15 am

When I called last week the quote was $320/ton with a $40 flat delivery fee.
Earlier in this thread someone mentioned $285 - maybe that price was for a larger order.
Last edited by jjs777_fzr on Wed. Jan. 15, 2014 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

frank33v
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu. Oct. 13, 2011 5:33 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Location: Massachusetts

Post Wed. Jan. 15, 2014 11:40 am

Or perhaps the $285/ton was bulk. I paid what you posted also last fall for 3 tons.

User avatar
jjs777_fzr
Member
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed. Jan. 07, 2009 8:17 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Penn Coal Stove & Chubby
Other Heating: CFM Wood Stove & Englander 25-PDVC Pellet Stove
Location: Northshore Massachusetts
Contact:

Post Wed. Jan. 15, 2014 11:42 am

frank33v wrote:Or perhaps the $285/ton was bulk. I paid what you posted also last fall for 3 tons.
Thanks I didn't catch that. Makes me feel slightly better. Would be nice to build a coal bin and go the bulk delivery method.

ASHDUMP
Member
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue. Sep. 10, 2013 9:03 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404
Stove/Furnace Make: Crane
Stove/Furnace Model: 404
Location: Massashootin'

Post Wed. Jan. 15, 2014 2:10 pm

I ordered my coal from this guy early in the season... he basically told me to pound sand and that he was too busy to deliver. This guy shoots from the hip everyday so be warned that you might not get your coal if you really need it. I don't know this guy from a hole in the wall but don't think he has any business skills...

I hope others have better experiences than I did.

frank33v
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu. Oct. 13, 2011 5:33 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Location: Massachusetts

Post Wed. Jan. 15, 2014 2:48 pm

ASHDUMP wrote:I ordered my coal from this guy early in the season... he basically told me to pound sand and that he was too busy to deliver. This guy shoots from the hip everyday so be warned that you might not get your coal if you really need it. I don't know this guy from a hole in the wall but don't think he has any business skills...

I hope others have better experiences than I did.
I suspect there is more to the story than you are telling.

I have purchased coal from Paul for a couple years and he has always delivered when he says he will and with no surprises. He usually hangs out for a couple minutes after unloading and chit chats also. He is working on very small margins though and does seem to have little tolerance for those who might not understand this.

ASHDUMP
Member
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue. Sep. 10, 2013 9:03 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404
Stove/Furnace Make: Crane
Stove/Furnace Model: 404
Location: Massashootin'

Post Wed. Jan. 15, 2014 5:15 pm

frank33v wrote:
ASHDUMP wrote:I ordered my coal from this guy early in the season... he basically told me to pound sand and that he was too busy to deliver. This guy shoots from the hip everyday so be warned that you might not get your coal if you really need it. I don't know this guy from a hole in the wall but don't think he has any business skills...

I hope others have better experiences than I did.
I suspect there is more to the story than you are telling.

I have purchased coal from Paul for a couple years and he has always delivered when he says he will and with no surprises. He usually hangs out for a couple minutes after unloading and chit chats also. He is working on very small margins though and does seem to have little tolerance for those who might not understand this.
There's really nothing more to the story. You've had a good experience and I have not. I called in my order late August for one ton of coal. I'm sure you might purchase more? He told me it would be mid October for delivery. He then told me multiple times that he would get down my way when he had a full truck. That makes sense as I understand how much it costs to run a rig and for logistical reasons. I called 3 or 4 times and spoke to him all of those times. The last time he told me to go somewhere else (which was late OCT or early NOV). I could tell he was under a lot of stress and I was very low on the totem pole to please. He told me about how this is a side business for him and etc etc and that he had soooo many orders to fullfill. His truck had just broken down blah blah blah... I'm not dogging the guy but just letting others know my experience was bad.

I ended up getting my coal from Pellets direct for less money so at the end of the day it worked out perfect. I ordered my coal over the phone, then someone called me back to confirm the order. After a week went by I called back to find out when they were going to deliver it and they shuffled me around and got my coal 1 week later. That wasn't the smoothest transaction either but there was a constant open line of communication and didn't make me think I wasn't going to get my coal.

Anyway....

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

Post Reply

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”