I Can Tell I'm Buring Blaschak Again, and I'm Bummed

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Thu. Jul. 11, 2013 8:23 pm

My Harmony pea ran out so I topped off the AHS on June 30th with 160 lbs. of Blaschak. Now I'm back to seeing a bunch of unburned coal in with my ashes again (after not seeing any unburned or even partially burned for a whole year with the Harmony), and I'm also back to the ash bucket beginning to fill much sooner and weigh much more. Ashes have gone from Harmony red to Blaschak white with a hint of red (just like I remembered it) so I know I'm fully into the Blaschak. And I'm bummed, seeing that I have 7 tons of it to work off!

The 2 tons of Blaschak I'm currently burning from my remaining supersacks is the same stuff that caused me fits 2 years ago, and the 5 tons of Blaschak in my coal bin is from a fresh load of Blaschak. I hope there is a big change when I get the sacks empty and get into the coal bin.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jul. 11, 2013 8:50 pm

Can't help there. I've never had a problem with BULK---NUT from Blaschak in my hand-fired for 6 seasons. Why'd you get 5 more ton if you had such a bad time with your last load Larry? Harmony is back in business under new ownership aren't they????

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Thu. Jul. 11, 2013 9:01 pm

freetown fred wrote: Why'd you get 5 more ton if you had such a bad time with your last load Larry? Harmony is back in business under new ownership aren't they????
Yes, but the (somewhat) local dealer who formerly offered Harmony now has only bulk Mammoth pea (source unknown beyond this) that was formerly his budget line alternative to Harmony for the past few years. And the dealer who is closest to me now carries exclusively Blaschak as to bulk pea (having formerly carried presumably the same "no name" Mammoth stuff, but dropping it after receiving loads of complaints). So my delivered coal choices were limited to those two, but the one and only remaining Mammoth guy (the former Harmony guy) balked at coming ~75 miles to deliver to me, telling me instead that his scissor lift coal delivery truck was broken and he wasn't sure if he was ever going to bother getting it fixed (essentially letting me down cold and hard as I saw it). That left me with only Blaschak.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Jul. 11, 2013 9:24 pm

Yes, Harmony's Coal Yard is back w/ new ownership...but the coal isn't from the Harmony Mine anymore, it's closed. :(

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Jul. 11, 2013 10:44 pm

freetown fred wrote:I've never had a problem with BULK---NUT from Blaschak in my hand-fired for 6 seasons.
Hey Fred seems them thar rice burners are a bit kinda fussy :lol: Wouldn't ya say???

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jul. 11, 2013 10:50 pm

Indeed they are my friend ;)

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Jul. 11, 2013 11:55 pm

lsayre wrote:The (somewhat) local dealer who formerly offered Harmony now has only bulk Mammoth pea (source unknown beyond this) that was formerly his budget line alternative to Harmony for the past few years. And the dealer who is closest to me now carries exclusively Blaschak as to bulk pea (having formerly carried presumably the same "no name" Mammoth stuff, but dropping it after receiving loads of complaints). So my delivered coal choices were limited to those two, but the one and only remaining Mammoth guy (the former Harmony guy) balked at coming ~75 miles to deliver to me, telling me instead that his scissor lift coal delivery truck was broken and he wasn't sure if he was ever going to bother getting it fixed (essentially letting me down cold and hard as I saw it). That left me with only Blaschak.
Here is where that coal came from...
Mammoth Materials

Others have given their reviews here...
Rice Coal Reviews for the Year

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Fri. Jul. 12, 2013 1:16 pm

Lightning wrote:
freetown fred wrote:I've never had a problem with BULK---NUT from Blaschak in my hand-fired for 6 seasons.
Hey Fred seems them thar rice burners are a bit kinda fussy :lol: Wouldn't ya say???
Uh, Larry said he's burning pea; not sure why you guys are dumping on rice burners here. :gee:

Mike

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jul. 12, 2013 1:28 pm

pea, buckwheat, rice--it's still what's pretty much left over--sometimes a bad batch comes out of where ever. Even with nut or stove ;)

Attachments

Coal_Sizes  2.jpg
.JPG | 129.7KB | Coal_Sizes 2.jpg

BennyLumpkin

Post by BennyLumpkin » Fri. Jul. 12, 2013 4:15 pm

I have Blaschak rice and hate it...btu is ok but ash is terrible compared to Harmony

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Fri. Jul. 12, 2013 4:38 pm

lsayre wrote:Now I'm back to seeing a bunch of unburned coal in with my ashes again (after not seeing any unburned or even partially burned for a whole year with the Harmony), and I'm also back to the ash bucket beginning to fill much sooner and weigh much more.
start adding more air to the blaschak and adjust it to where it needs to be.You now have 2 years under your belt with the coal gun,and should feel confident in how to operate it. Good luck, and nothing burned like the old and now extinct UAE.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Fri. Jul. 12, 2013 5:01 pm

lsayre wrote: start adding more air to the blaschak and adjust it to where it needs to be.You now have 2 years under your belt with the coal gun,and should feel confident in how to operate it. Good luck, and nothing burned like the old and now extinct UAE.
I'm probably mistaken, but with the Coal Gun's there does not seem to be any means whereby to "add more air" (this side of a draft inducer). The only things that are adjustable are the ashing temperature and the water temperature.

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Fri. Jul. 12, 2013 5:12 pm

Dennis wrote:
lsayre wrote: start adding more air to the blaschak and adjust it to where it needs to be.You now have 2 years under your belt with the coal gun,and should feel confident in how to operate it. Good luck, and nothing burned like the old and now extinct UAE.
I'm probably mistaken, but with the Coal Gun's there does not seem to be any means whereby to "add more air" (this side of a draft inducer). The only things that are adjustable are the ashing temperature and the water temperature.
I know you can fix the problem :up:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Jul. 12, 2013 6:46 pm

Lightning wrote:
Almost as bad as all the hand-fed guys whining about Blaschak being sized too small last winter. :P Blaschak Coal

Larry, maybe you will get better burn-out of the coal once you have your timer hooked up.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Fri. Jul. 12, 2013 7:45 pm

Rob R. wrote:Larry, maybe you will get better burn-out of the coal once you have your timer hooked up.
I agree. That was supposed to happen this weekend, but then the "Kings Royal" World of Outlaws Sprint Car race came up, and now we are off to Rossburg, OH (195 miles from home) to see the race tomorrow. Tony Stewart owns the Eldora Speedway where this famous mud fest is held (1/2 mile dirt track), and occasionally he races in the event. I figure that if we come straight home after the race is over we will be arriving home at about 3:00 AM Sunday morning.

I just looked it up, and the Eldora track record lap time is 12.707 seconds. That's really flying to traverse a half a mile oval of dirt.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”