Monroe Co PA - Need Bagged Anthracite Rice Coal

themcd1998
Coal Size/Type: Rice Anthracite

Post by themcd1998 » Wed. Jul. 10, 2013 10:52 am

We're in Monroe County PA. Does anyone know what would be a decent cost for bagged rice anthracite around here? Will probably need 3 tons to get through the winter. Delivery truck can't get to the window where the coal bin is set up. (No, we didn't choose the layout ourselves, former homeowner did it.) So if we get loose coal they just dump it in our driveway and we have to shovel it into buckets and wheel it into the coal bin through a finished room in the basement. NOT fun and messy. With bagged, I'm hoping we can get them to put it into the garage on skids for us.

Does anyone know what companies in/near Monroe Co PA will deliver bagged anthracite rice on a skid? And what's a good cost for bagged this year in our area? Thanks.

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post by Wiz » Wed. Jul. 10, 2013 8:07 pm

How closes can truck get? Wondering if hauler you choose didn't have long enough chute. Pictures :?:

themcd1998

Post by themcd1998 » Wed. Jul. 10, 2013 9:03 pm

Wiz wrote:How closes can truck get? Wondering if hauler you choose didn't have long enough chute. Pictures :?:
No pictures, but I'll try to describe it.
Ranch house, left side is 2 car garage under house.
Right side basement is the utility/coal room.
If you walk through the garage, there's a finished room almost as big as the garage.
Go through that room to get into the utility room where the coal bin is.
From the front of the house, the coal bin window is on the right, about 2/3 of the way across the house.
There's a deck just to the left of the window.
There's also a large tree with low branches in front of the house, but out about 15 feet.
Pus a hill to go up to get to that window.

So the truck would have to drive up on the grass (steep hill but not very high, maybe 6' high) in order to get anywhere near that window and the tree is in the way of a truck because of the low branches.

If they had a really long chute to move it from driveway to window, they'd be trying to get the coal to basically go almost level or slightly up hill before dropping into the bin.
Without measuring, my husband's guessing it's about 35-40 feet from driveway to window.

The guy who delivered loose to us last time could get the coal into the garage so it was at least out of the rain, but said there's no way to get a truck up onto our lawn or around that tree to get close enough to drop it into the coal bin.

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post by Wiz » Thu. Jul. 11, 2013 5:39 am

Sent you a phone number.. Look in your Messages ;)

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning # 500
Baseburners & Antiques: Peninsular Western Hot Blast No.44K and Reading Foundry & Supply Co.

Post by fifthg » Thu. Jul. 11, 2013 5:48 am

what did you pay for the bulk delivery? I am trying to figure a fair price for delivered bagged coal,but can only do 2 or 2 1/2 tons per trip on a flat bed.coal would have to be re-palletized to get it in your garage,unless you have a fork lift.where in Monroe County?

themcd1998

Post by themcd1998 » Thu. Jul. 11, 2013 8:10 am

fifthg wrote:what did you pay for the bulk delivery? I am trying to figure a fair price for delivered bagged coal,but can only do 2 or 2 1/2 tons per trip on a flat bed.coal would have to be re-palletized to get it in your garage,unless you have a fork lift.where in Monroe County?
I think it was around $170-$180/ton bulk.
No forklift.
We're in Blakeslee about 3-1/2 miles south of the race track.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Jul. 11, 2013 11:41 am

themcd1998 wrote:We're in Monroe County PA. Does anyone know what would be a decent cost for bagged rice anthracite around here? Will probably need 3 tons to get through the winter. Delivery truck can't get to the window where the coal bin is set up. (No, we didn't choose the layout ourselves, former homeowner did it.) So if we get loose coal they just dump it in our driveway and we have to shovel it into buckets and wheel it into the coal bin through a finished room in the basement. NOT fun and messy. With bagged, I'm hoping we can get them to put it into the garage on skids for us. Thanks.
Bagged coal will be a pretty expensive way to not have to shovel and bucket the coal...and I assume...you still will have to carry/transport all those bags through that finished room to burn it.
:idea: It might be a long shot...but, maybe look for a bulk supplier that has a coal conveyer...that is one way to move a lot of coal with little help of gravity. :idea:

themcd1998

Post by themcd1998 » Thu. Jul. 11, 2013 12:03 pm

McGiever wrote:Bagged coal will be a pretty expensive way to not have to shovel and bucket the coal...and I assume...you still will have to carry/transport all those bags through that finished room to burn it.
:idea: It might be a long shot...but, maybe look for a bulk supplier that has a coal conveyer...that is one way to move a lot of coal with little help of gravity. :idea:

Thank you. I was not aware this was an option. We've only heated with coal one winter/one supplier so far.
Ok anyone have recommendations in my area for a bulk anthracite rice supplier that has this kind of setup?

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”