Mallard Contracting CO.INC the New UAE.

steveyrock

Post by steveyrock » Tue. Jul. 09, 2013 8:38 pm

I decided to run up to Mt Carmel for a ton of the New Mallard Contracting Co Inc. Which many of you know was the old UAE managed company.

I got rice coal and it is sized perfect and clean and they had all sizes in the bins. The guy who was running the scalehouse said the coal is out of the Mammoth vein near by,strip mined of coarse.
He also told me they are burning it for DHW in the scalehouse and it burns hot in their EFM.

I got home and immediately loaded two 5 gallon buckets of this stuff into my nearly empty hopper and made no adjustments to the boiler just to see what happend.The boiler was holding a constant 155 degrees DHW TEMPS at idle with THE GOOD UAE coal all summer so far.24 hours later the temps rose to 167 at idle with the new coal.No outfire either on the same settings.Burns easy and hot.

The ash is more white with some reddish color and does not seem excessive.I burn about 14+ lbs in a day and the ash amount seems about right so far in a freshly emptied ash pan before trying this coal.
Just my simple observations and I am pleased with the reaction of this coal at my settings for DHW in my boiler.I will for sure give it a try this winter.Hope the quality remains consistant as I was assured it would be by the scale man who told me they want the old UAE customers to come back and be happy with their product.

They guy wrote their phone number on my scale slip and it's the same number as the ex UAE.

Attachments

Picture 009.jpg
.JPG | 65.5KB | Picture 009.jpg
Last edited by steveyrock on Wed. Jul. 10, 2013 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Wed. Jul. 10, 2013 7:20 am

stevey, Just wondering if they have the same loading setup as was used at UAE? What was the price per ton /rice ? Mike

steveyrock

Post by steveyrock » Wed. Jul. 10, 2013 7:38 am

Hi Mike
yes everything is the same as far as loading and the price is still 170.00 a ton.I did forget to mention that the scale man said something about the nut coal is not washed as clean because of their processing.Someone who burns nut may want to ask about that but I did look at it and the nut looked good size wise and I thought it was clean but not as shiney.

steveyrock

Post by steveyrock » Fri. Jul. 12, 2013 3:54 pm

Here is the difference in ash color between the two coals after burning the new Malard product in the left pan and the old UAE in the right pan.
Been burning this Malard coal for five days now and all is good as far as heat produced and amount of ash.Boiler holding at 165 and never touched the settings from the UAE coal.This stuff makes good heat.

Attachments

Picture 015.jpg
.JPG | 119.3KB | Picture 015.jpg

BennyLumpkin

Post by BennyLumpkin » Fri. Jul. 12, 2013 4:00 pm

I was there when the gate opened this morning and picked up 4 ton...no Saturday hours til fall.

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Mon. Aug. 12, 2013 6:50 am

Benny, There were many devoted UAE users on this forum before their plant stopped. Any feedback yet? Did you get any of it lit for a pre-season test? I could be the next to plunk down some dollars and any real burn feedback is helpful before the trailer rolls. Mike

steveyrock

Post by steveyrock » Tue. Aug. 13, 2013 8:03 am

burning this coal for several weeks now and I have no complaints at all.I empty the ash pan once a week as always.No outfires or draft issues.I in fact cut the feed back a bit because I was getting temps in the 170's after the boiler ramped up during heavy hot water demand.

I would rate this batch I am into right now as good or better than some I have burned from other breakers as far as ash amounts and heat produced.I have room in my bin for two more ton winter supply and I am going for it.

Talked to a guy who's burning Mallard in his K-8 and he claims it makes better heat than the Superior he was burning last year with less fusion into clumps and reduced ash.

steveyrock

Post by steveyrock » Tue. Aug. 13, 2013 9:15 am

I wanted to say that I am a bit hesitant posting about this coal for the simple fact if the quality goes south and turns to crap people might be stuck with it.I was of coarse leary of putting my test ton of coal into my storage bin so I waited a week to see how it burned first.That being said I like it enough to go ahead and top off my bin for winter.I have no scientific analysis or percentages to give out as it means nothing. I don't weigh the ash produced or coal going in,it's just not that important to me.Your going to get what it is at the time you get loaded at the breaker and that's that.The breakers stay within certain limits and parameters so you will most likely get a decent product and your moneys worth.

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Tue. Aug. 13, 2013 6:30 pm

Thanks Stevey.Consistent burn is important and it sounds like you have it. Mike

mazeanaze

Post by mazeanaze » Mon. Aug. 26, 2013 10:22 am

Called today to ask about Saturday hours. They told me starting September 7 they will be open 7-11am on Saturdays.

Also said there ash content was tested and is 8.2%.

They also have stove coal available for anyone who is interested.

BennyLumpkin

Post by BennyLumpkin » Wed. Aug. 28, 2013 9:35 pm

Sorry I haven't replied lately....burning it and love it. Its great BTU and way lower ash than Blaschak.

steveyrock

Post by steveyrock » Fri. Aug. 30, 2013 7:16 pm

Mallard's new phone number, 570-339-4090 as posted by another member.

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post by Duengeon master » Sat. Aug. 31, 2013 4:27 pm

I got 1.78 tons of pea with about 600 lbs. of it nut mix. Their nut seems a wee bit larger than other sources. Also, they do have stove coal and the pieces of it are quite large. The gentleman that loaded me said it comes from the Mammoth vein across the street. Sorry, it's too warm yet to try it out, but I am chomping at the bit to try it!!!! ;)

Attachments

290.jpg
.JPG | 38.4KB | 290.jpg

oros35
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Cozeburn OWB burning Bit
Baseburners & Antiques: 1912 Smith & Anthony Hub Heater #215

Post by oros35 » Tue. Sep. 03, 2013 11:52 am

Just picked up 9200lbs of nut on Friday. In appearance looks real good, good size, clean. Guess I'll find out in a couple months how good it really is.

grobinson2
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy, and EFM 520 round door
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coalbrookdale Darby, Harman Mark III, Stratford SC100, DutchWest 288 (With Coal Insert), Coalbrookdale Severn, Hitzer 50/93, Hitzer 354 Double Door, FrancoBelge La Normandie, DS Machine Anthramax
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Buck, Pea, Nut, and Stove
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Defiant 1975 FlexBurn, Fisher Grandpa Bear, Vermont Castings DutchWest 224, Vermont Castings Defiant 1945, Ravelli RV-100 Classic, Progress Hybrid, Glenwood Wood Chip Boiler

Post by grobinson2 » Wed. Sep. 11, 2013 1:03 pm

So I have been trying to come up with a detailed review of there rice coal, however I have been having so many out fires in my 520 I can never get any numbers for you guys. The coal seems to have a little bit more ash then UAE but also puts out more heat. I did not have out fires with UAE but once or twice but when it hits 90+ with high humidity my chimney just looses draft. I am well aware there are ways around this but it is just not worth it for me to install a draft inducer when 9.99 times out of 10 I have more draft then I want. Anyway I will say that so far I have been pleased with there coal. I got 5 tons about a month ago and it seems to be much heavier then UAE. What I mean by that is a five gallon bucket of UAE and a five gallon bucket of Mallard will have the Mallard bucket weighing more then the UAE bucket. Of course as we all know it is a white ash coal which I have never been a huge fan of as it always seems I get more fly ash with white ash coal. However when I do not have an out fire it seems to burn quite well. As I said before it does give off more heat then the UAE but nothing to drastic. Sorry for the very incomplete review.

Thanks,
Glenn

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”