Other Coal Options

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post by Wiz » Sat. Jun. 22, 2013 6:19 pm

First year of burning coal I used 10 ton of Casey Kassa. I'm guessing it wasn't that bad but don't have anything to compare it with. During the winter days ka 6 ash pan would be filled in a 24 hrs, now it's about every 3 days it needs to be empty for dhw. Anyone switched from Casey Kassa to another source with better results? I know Hudson is near Casey but any other coal companies? Hudson's ash vs Casey?

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Sat. Jun. 22, 2013 8:34 pm

What in blazes are you heating using 10 ton of coal, 3 houses?

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Jun. 22, 2013 9:03 pm

Boilers seem to inherently consume more coal than stoves. They have the benefit of heating all of the rooms of an entire home to a consistent temperature as a consequence. That said, 10 tons seem to indicate a substantial home. Either that or a home that is not very tight and well insulated. Or it could be the coal.... ???

Edit: Mozz, I see you have a boiler, so quoting Gilda Radner: "never mind". :oops:

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Jun. 22, 2013 10:56 pm

Wiz I don't know of any other breakers other than Hudson or Casey's, Hudson was always more but they always had a consistent product that was either good to outstanding sometimes. The sizing on their rice is very consistent and you're not going to find any barley in it. ;)

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Sat. Jun. 22, 2013 10:58 pm

I'm going to say 2-3 ton was wasted by learning boiler. House is pretty imsulated with replacement windows. House is almost 2500sq ft, thought it was bigger until I took measurements. Previous owner burnt 11 cords just in winter and used oil spring\ fall. Like to get input on members who switch from Casey to Hudson or something else.

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Sat. Jun. 22, 2013 11:02 pm

Richard S. wrote:Wiz I don't know of any other breakers other than Hudson or Casey's, Hudson was always more but they always had a consistent product that was either good to outstanding sometimes. The sizing on their rice is very consistent and you're not going to find any barley in it. ;)
Richard, is there any other suppliers in the same area? The person who delivers my coal said he'll get what ever I want, he lives near Gouldsburg.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Jun. 22, 2013 11:16 pm

Wiz, did you ever change the control system on the boilers so that the K6 only fires/circulates on heat calls? I ask because if you get a full ash tub in three days...either the coal creates mega amounts of ash, or you are burning 40-50 lbs per day.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Jun. 22, 2013 11:23 pm

Nope, no other bulk suppliers I'm aware of you could ask your dealer to get it from.

There is other dealers in this area getting coal from other suppliers like the Fireplace Gallery but he doesn't deliver..... yet, I'm working on it. :P Your dealer wouldn't be able to get it from them becsue it's going to cost too much anyway.

Truthfully I'd just get it from Hudson if I was you, I did get two ton from them at the end of the season and it was fine. Generally I don't get coal from them myself anymore but it isn't becsue I have concerns about the quality.

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Sun. Jun. 23, 2013 9:20 am

Rob R. wrote:Wiz, did you ever change the control system on the boilers so that the K6 only fires/circulates on heat calls? I ask because if you get a full ash tub in three days...either the coal creates mega amounts of ash, or you are burning 40-50 lbs per day.
Rob I did change control system and since then coal consumption has drop fairly well. Coal is creating allot of ash, not burning no 50lbs a day. I cancel casey delivery until I got advice from the board members.

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Sun. Jun. 23, 2013 5:14 pm

I get my coal from Hudson. I usually fill my ash tub in 24-36 hours. I burn 9 ton/year. One year I got 2 tons from UAE and I went from changing the tub every day to every 3 days in the winter... Much less ash but much further drive.

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Sun. Jun. 23, 2013 6:18 pm

cArNaGe wrote:I get my coal from Hudson. I usually fill my ash tub in 24-36 hours. I burn 9 ton/year. One year I got 2 tons from UAE and I went from changing the tub every day to every 3 days in the winter... Much less ash but much further drive.
Thanks for sharing, it appears Hudson is closes to same ash content. Maybec little bit better

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Sun. Jun. 23, 2013 7:25 pm

Richard,
Off Topic a bit , but how in hell do you get a picture of the blue ladies actually being blue? I have the ladies but ill be dammed if I can get a picture in which they actually look blue :? God I miss them....

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sun. Jun. 23, 2013 8:39 pm

good lord 10 tons a year for 2500 sq' house :shock: I know nothing about your boiler and I can accept the fact whole house boilers burn more then a stove, but 10 ton! I could put a stove in each room and not burn 10 ton :shock:
Let get some solutions to his boiler or why & how its needing to blaze through 10 tons per year? settings, photo's, anyone here with the same boiler, etc...

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Jun. 23, 2013 8:45 pm

My opinion is you should be able to get into the 5 ton range.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sun. Jun. 23, 2013 8:46 pm

lsayre wrote:My opinion is you should be able to get into the 5 ton range.
I concur :punk:

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”