Other Coal Options

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Jun. 26, 2013 9:44 pm

coalkirk wrote:Something is very wrong somewhere. I'm heat 4,000 sq. ft. with 5 tons of coal.
4*6 walls? New windows? Tyvek? Those will all make huge differences. There was the this new customer we had that was using a 25 ton a year, probably about 6000 sq ft.. it was an old church. Took him about 15 years but he got it down to about 12 ton.

Generally speaking 5 ton per 2000 sq ft. is an average especially if you're doing domestic hot water.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Thu. Jun. 27, 2013 7:49 am

Wiz wrote:
coalkirk wrote:Something is very wrong somewhere. I'm heat 4,000 sq. ft. with 5 tons of coal. I am alittle further south than you but not 5 tons further south. Someone in your area needs to stop by and check out your installation.
Coalkirk, I'm hoping the changes I've done at the end of season will help . Underground piping isn't issue because when it snows it doesn't melt off. House is insulated and 80% windows have been replaced. Are you running yr round? First 7 ton of rice had allot of barley in it, next 5 ton of buck was size with no fines at all. Circulator was running 24-7 until end of season, it's now running on demand only.
I do not run year round. Normally start at the end of October thorugh April. This year I started the second week of October due to colder weather. We did use about another half ton this year as a result. My boiler is also in the basement which helps alot. I insulated all of my basement walls with Rmax board and then the portion that is finsihed also has R13 fiberglass so basement walls are in the area of R19. R30 in the attic. All but a couple of windows have been replaced.
When you factor in your boiler being in an outbuilding and your underground pipes, your results make more sense. Basically you are heating that building and you do lose some heat in the underground pipes. I assume they are insulated and buried below frost line?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jun. 30, 2013 8:57 am

Richard S. wrote:Generally speaking 5 ton per 2000 sq ft. is an average especially if you're doing domestic hot water.
Good to know :D I used 5 tons last year for about 2400 Sq ft.. 4 tons the year before with that warm winter that year, so I guess Im on track 8-)

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jun. 30, 2013 8:59 am

Lightning wrote:
Richard S. wrote:Generally speaking 5 ton per 2000 sq ft. is an average especially if you're doing domestic hot water.
Good to know :D I used 5 tons last year for about 2400 Sq ft.. 4 tons the year before with that warm winter that year, so I guess Im on track 8-)
I am well on the "right side of the curve".

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jun. 30, 2013 9:01 am

Rob R. wrote:I am well on the "right side of the curve".
Meaning you use more right? You live close to the arctic circle though right er I mean northern NY by Canada?

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post by Wiz » Sun. Jun. 30, 2013 8:39 pm

I'll be keeping everyone update on coal consumption this winter. Insulated over all foam insulation on iron pipes in shop ,insulated top of ka 6 and ash door. Need to insulate iron pipes in basement sometime this week. Saturday got 7 ton of Hudson buckwheat coal so time will tell if any better then Casey. I've notice shop and garage is allot cooler since doing pipes, and less coal being used. Hoping to get in 7-8 ton range with improvements that I've done. Thanks to everyone's help in PM and replies, greatly appreciated Randy

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Sun. Jun. 30, 2013 10:03 pm

What type of chimney are you running into? Barometric damper?

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Mon. Jul. 01, 2013 5:06 am

mozz wrote:What type of chimney are you running into? Barometric damper?

Masonry Chimney... Barometric Damper.. Draft 02... No draft issue in warm weather.

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Mon. Jul. 01, 2013 6:26 am

Wanted to make sure you were running a damper, otherwise your heat would be going up the chimney.

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Fri. Jul. 05, 2013 11:19 am

Never realized how much heat lost there is by using foam insulation (http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_C3PYYU ... lO9qhmfZZQ) until I wrapped it with R13. Shop and basement has been like a sauna since installing keystoker. I'm realizing now that plumber wasn't up to snuff on heat lost with my install. :shock: Filled hopper on Jun 28, and it's now half full, hard to believe such simple thing made a big improvement. :dancing:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jul. 05, 2013 11:35 am

Nice find Wiz :)

Dave 1234
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1948 International boiler, EFM S-20 stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buck,

Post by Dave 1234 » Sat. Jul. 06, 2013 8:29 am

Wiz, It's early still but what did you change ? Wrapped the supply plumbing ?
Dave
Wiz wrote:Never realized how much heat lost there is by using foam insulation (http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_C3PYYU ... lO9qhmfZZQ) until I wrapped it with R13. Shop and basement has been like a sauna since installing keystoker. I'm realizing now that plumber wasn't up to snuff on heat lost with my install. :shock: Filled hopper on Jun 28, and it's now half full, hard to believe such simple thing made a big improvement. :dancing:

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Sat. Jul. 06, 2013 9:47 am

Dave 1234 wrote:Wiz, It's early still but what did you change ? Wrapped the supply plumbing ?
Dave
Wiz wrote:Never realized how much heat lost there is by using foam insulation (http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_C3PYYU ... lO9qhmfZZQ) until I wrapped it with R13. Shop and basement has been like a sauna since installing keystoker. I'm realizing now that plumber wasn't up to snuff on heat lost with my install. :shock: Filled hopper on Jun 28, and it's now half full, hard to believe such simple thing made a big improvement. :dancing:
I realizing it's early but the differences is shop and basement temp is night and day. Coal consumption has also drop in a considerable amount. I've over warped approx 150 ft of supply and return iron pipes between oil & coal boiler . Haven't touch any settings on boilers so results are just from R13. I'm now emptying ash pan on the 5th day instead of 3rd day of running for dhw. I'm stilling burning whats left in hopper of Casey Coal, then it'll be Hudson Coal. Prior to spring I've change circulator that's between oil & coal boiler from running 24-7 to demand only, this should also help some but the jury is still out on it. :P I'm now ready to insulate shop walls where Ka-6 is in .

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Jul. 06, 2013 10:47 am

Wiz wrote:I'm now ready to insulate shop walls where Ka-6 is in .
That will help also...plus you get the benefit of a warm shop in the winter.

331camaro
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker k6
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by 331camaro » Wed. Jul. 10, 2013 5:46 am

wiz,-I like your idea of wraping the pipes with regular r-13 fiberglass, very slick, and cost effective I assume compared to pipe insulation. im going to take your lead n do the same in my shop and basement. my basement is more of a cold space. and insulate the top of the boiler. I kinda scratched my head when I first saw that but then thought nothing of it n just ran it.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”