Direnzo Coal

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sun. Apr. 14, 2013 9:18 pm

Boy! A lot of people have been missing the boat with this coal. This is some of the all time best I have burned. It burns very hot. It has very low volume of ash. It has very little unburnt coal in the ash. Not many fines. It is a premium coal. I stopped to see Matthew D. and get some parts off him. I ended up filling my bins with their coal as time was not on my side. Too many miles in too little time :( I had originally wanted to try a couple other places. I was real surprised at the quality of their product. I wasn't expecting it :oops: I paid $180/ton for buckwheat. It was a real easy load. Easy off the highway too. And there is a nice stop right outside the gate that has good food and even better Yeungling on tap. This coal is more money per ton, but the high quality coal, the easy load, no hassle ride, easy on the truck and good stop close by put this coal at the top of my list. I would highly recommend this coal. :)
Last edited by Scottscoaled on Sun. Apr. 14, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scottscoaled

Post by Scottscoaled » Sun. Apr. 14, 2013 9:30 pm

I can also say this coal holds a fire well. During the warm weather we are getting ,I have been running at 2 minutes per hour and haven't come close to losing a fire. I cleaned my boiler today an am really excited to see how well it works with a clean boiler.
How easy it is to get loaded is pretty important for me. I liked the loading at Harmony. It too was hassle free. Several other mines were very big hassles. Several places I have had to spend half an hour shoveling of coal that a 10' bucket dumped everywhere but where I needed it. Other places the coal comes out real wet and sloppy. I don't appreciate a 5-6 hour ride home all dirted up. It would be easy to fill those big 1 ton super sacks at Direnso's. :)

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Mon. Apr. 15, 2013 8:06 am

That's great to here the coal is good/great.I've been wanting to get some for a test.Has anyone used thier nut size and how consistant is the sizing.

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Tue. Apr. 16, 2013 5:06 pm

I called to see about the price of rice.The price of rice is $200/ton. I do not know if there are any discounts for large tonnage.With that price it would really cut into the savings of getting it myself. I can go to the local yard and get Jeddo for $225 unless he has raised that price lately.That would save the 130 mile drive and $4.00/gal diesel. Mike

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Apr. 17, 2013 8:04 am

stovepipemike wrote:I called to see about the price of rice.The price of rice is $200/ton. I do not know if there are any discounts for large tonnage.With that price it would really cut into the savings of getting it myself. I can go to the local yard and get Jeddo for $225 unless he has raised that price lately.That would save the 130 mile drive and $4.00/gal diesel. Mike
Wow! $200.! That's really high for picking it up. I wasn't happy when Scott said it was $180. That's too bad. I wonder what makes them think their coal is worth that much more than others? I've never paid more than $165.00 a ton picking it up myself. Matt...what's the deal?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Apr. 17, 2013 8:17 am

Premium product, premium price. If you just want average coal, there are other sources in the $170 range.

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Apr. 17, 2013 3:38 pm

Have you burned this coal Rob? This season I burned Harmony. I considered it premium coal. Great BTU's, very low ash. I've also burned Superior and Summit. Both had very good BTU's but double the ash of Harmony. After using low ash coal it would be hard to go back to the other stuff. Scott says the Direnzo coal is low ash but I've got to wonder about how consistant that is since they do not mine their own coal but get it from various sources. I'd hate to make the trip and get 5 tons at that price and then find it's 14% ash like Superior or Summit.

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Wed. Apr. 17, 2013 4:16 pm

I've got 6 tons of Direnzo rice coal. The ash content is higher than Harmony, but the BTU output
I feel is also higher. It's real nice coal. I don't get my own coal anymore so Direnzo is the best I
can get delivered at a reasonable cost. The Blaschak coal I got last year was crap, pure a simple crap.

MATTHEW D.

Post by MATTHEW D. » Wed. Apr. 17, 2013 5:47 pm

coalkirk wrote:
stovepipemike wrote:I called to see about the price of rice.The price of rice is $200/ton. I do not know if there are any discounts for large tonnage.With that price it would really cut into the savings of getting it myself. I can go to the local yard and get Jeddo for $225 unless he has raised that price lately.That would save the 130 mile drive and $4.00/gal diesel. Mike
Wow! $200.! That's really high for picking it up. I wasn't happy when Scott said it was $180. That's too bad. I wonder what makes them think their coal is worth that much more than others? I've never paid more than $165.00 a ton picking it up myself. Matt...what's the deal?
The deal is that DiRenzo Coal Company seems to be the standard for pricing in the local area. If DiRenzo Coal would drop their price tomorrow from $200.00/ton to $180/ton other local companies drop their price from $180 to 160/ton. No matter how low they would go the others would go $10 to $20 lower. The same goes for price increase, if tomorrow DiRenzo coal increases $20/ton ....guarantee the others will follow with a $20 increase. This is a fact that has been going on for a very long time. All I can say is that the majority of DiRenzo Coal customers are very pleased with the service and product for the price. I can't emphasize enough to call DiRenzo Coal if you have any questions on the coal specification before you make a trip. All their coal is tested!
Last edited by MATTHEW D. on Wed. Apr. 17, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wanna Bee
Location: You wouldn't believe me if I told ya! Virginville PA

Post by Wanna Bee » Wed. Apr. 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Dennis wrote:That's great to here the coal is good/great.I've been wanting to get some for a test.Has anyone used thier nut size and how consistant is the sizing.
I burned DiRenzo nut sized all year. Burned great, perfect size, no crap in it.

$20 bucks a ton really isn't a big deal. Don't believe me... call the oil man :P

Scottscoaled

Post by Scottscoaled » Wed. Apr. 17, 2013 9:11 pm

I usually burn all the Harmony I can get my hands on. This year it was 5 tons. I felt that the last couple years their product wasn't the fantastic coal that I burned the first couple years. Yes it burned real good and had low ash. But lately the difference between some of the other coals wasn't so great. I had a ton of Cassy Kassa that burned just as good and didn't have high ash. The two tons of Jeddo that I had last year burned just as well without a huge amount of ash. There are other coals that have given real hot burns but required dumping ash pans every day. Then the Newport ag thing :lol: The issue is that I have an automatic coal boiler. If It has to be dealt with every day, then it isn't all that different from a wood boiler. I'm willing to pay more for premium coal up to a limit. DiRenzo's coal is at that limit. But,,,,,, it is the best coal that I have burned in a long time. HOT and LOW ASH. If I wanted cheaper coal, there aren't any shortage of those breakers. I will continue to try others as I am always in search of the best coal/ best deal. I'm hearing about some others that need trying and there was the other two didn't get tried because of the time thing. This just my opinion. The place works for me. The reality is, the coal cost 5% more than the last one I was using. I drive almost 300 miles to get some good *censored*. If it isn't good, then the travel was a waste. The guys I split a TT load with trust me to know what I'm talking about. We live in N.Y. and there is no shortage of crappy coal up here. It's what every one sells for more money :x
Last edited by Scottscoaled on Thu. Apr. 18, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scottscoaled

Post by Scottscoaled » Wed. Apr. 17, 2013 9:15 pm

By the way, I'm on day four without dumping ash. :D

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Apr. 18, 2013 6:14 am

coalkirk wrote:Have you burned this coal Rob? This season I burned Harmony. I considered it premium coal. Great BTU's, very low ash. I've also burned Superior and Summit. Both had very good BTU's but double the ash of Harmony. After using low ash coal it would be hard to go back to the other stuff. Scott says the Direnzo coal is low ash but I've got to wonder about how consistant that is since they do not mine their own coal but get it from various sources. I'd hate to make the trip and get 5 tons at that price and then find it's 14% ash like Superior or Summit.
No I have not burned coal from DiRenzo. A few good friends have been to the breaker and are burning the coal with the same reaction as Scott...they have nothing to gain by promoting it, so I trust their recommendation. I have burned Harmony coal, and I know what you mean about the low ash content...it is easy to get spoiled. With that being said, Harmony coal is history so there is no sense comparing current products to it except to simply describe how the coal burns, etc. As for getting coal from various sources/veins, that seems to be the norm rather than the exception.

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Thu. Apr. 18, 2013 8:27 am

MATTHEW D. wrote:
coalkirk wrote: Wow! $200.! That's really high for picking it up. I wasn't happy when Scott said it was $180. That's too bad. I wonder what makes them think their coal is worth that much more than others? I've never paid more than $165.00 a ton picking it up myself. Matt...what's the deal?
The deal is that DiRenzo Coal Company seems to be the standard for pricing in the local area. If DiRenzo Coal would drop their price tomorrow from $200.00/ton to $180/ton other local companies drop their price from $180 to 160/ton. No matter how low they would go the others would go $10 to $20 lower. The same goes for price increase, if tomorrow DiRenzo coal increases $20/ton ....guarantee the others will follow with a $20 increase. This is a fact that has been going on for a very long time. All I can say is that the majority of DiRenzo Coal customers are very pleased with the service and product for the price. I can't emphasize enough to call DiRenzo Coal if you have any questions on the coal specification before you make a trip. All their coal is tested!
OK Matt. Thanks for the explanation. When I'm ready to pickup my 5 tons for the season, I'll call to see how the ash content is running. I've only every bought rice coal in quantity. Is it common for coal dealers to charge different prices for different sized coal? Scotts says his buck was 180 for instance. Also it's been my experience in the last 10 years that coal price has gone up slightly every year but I've never seen a $20.00 per ton jump as in your example above. Usually $5.00. And finally does Direnzo offer oiled coal? Thanks.

MATTHEW D.

Post by MATTHEW D. » Thu. Apr. 18, 2013 9:17 am

$20 increase was a poor example on my part, the increases are usually much smaller like Coalkirk stated. I was just trying to make a point. That's why I try not to speak on behalf of DiRenzo Coal. Scottcoaled stated about Matt's coal, I just want to make things clear that I have nothing to do with the Operations of DiRenzo Coal Company. It is my family and I just work there part time as they need me. If you have any questions, contact the DiRenzo Coal directly http://www.direnzocoal.com/ they are more than happy to answer your questions. BTW, I will answer any questions on where to get some good food and a cold beer if you are in the area. :beer:

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”