Advantage Coal Oil, Available in Five Gallon Units?

rubicondave33
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite

Post by rubicondave33 » Sat. Apr. 13, 2013 3:52 am

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Apr. 13, 2013 7:45 am

On first approximation its listed properties appear to be fairly close (though not identical) to Drakeol® 7 White Mineral Oil. That might (???) qualify as an alternative.

WARNING: The aspiration of any oil mist into the lungs can be fatal. Be very careful to properly protect yourself and those around you when spraying it.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sun. Apr. 14, 2013 12:09 am

I still am pleased with my Peanut oil. I will let everyone know how the stove looks inside after spring cleanup if that ever happens :x Will this cool weather ever leave :?:

stokerstove
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kodiak Stokerstove 1

Post by stokerstove » Sun. Apr. 14, 2013 8:18 am

steamup wrote:In my opinion, nut coal seams much less dusty than the smaller sizes such as rice and buck. There is more surface are in the smaller sizes for dust to stick to. The bigger size seems to permit the fines to work their way to the bottom of the pile faster.

I installed a garden hose next to my coal bin for a few dollars worth of plumbing supplies. I wet the coal down lightly before shovelling it or dumping it out my dump chute. Otherwise there is a dust cloud in the area because sitting inside, the coal becomes bone dry.

This was cheaper to me than buying oil.
I burn rice and do pretty much the same thing. With plumbing supplies I had laying around I installed a tap with a short hose right above the coal bin. Every day I wet the coal down....takes about a minute and keeps most of the dust down. The trick is to keep it wet after delivery. If left to dry out and you try to re-wet only the top will be damp and the coal will have to be mixed and re-watered....probably stirring up more dust. Been doing this for years without any rusting or moisture problems in stove. Virtually no cost.

Once coated I'm sure oil will do a better job than my water system but I'm cheap and like to keep things simple. I don't have any problems with excessive coal dust.

pine grove coal user
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: H. S. Tarm, model 202, 1980
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Reading 'bucket a day' stove in storage, waiting for attention
Coal Size/Type: Pea, from Little Buck mine
Other Heating: New Yorker oil burner which almost never runs, thanks to the Tarm!

Post by pine grove coal user » Sun. Apr. 14, 2013 8:37 pm

Yep, this is the stuff I'm looking for in a five gallon pail. As far as I know, it isn't available in five gallon pails.

Someone suggested getting a drum of used hydraulic oil. If I can't get that I'm getting the peanut oil from Lowes.

pine grove coal user
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: H. S. Tarm, model 202, 1980
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Reading 'bucket a day' stove in storage, waiting for attention
Coal Size/Type: Pea, from Little Buck mine
Other Heating: New Yorker oil burner which almost never runs, thanks to the Tarm!

Post by pine grove coal user » Sun. Apr. 14, 2013 8:40 pm

lsayre wrote:On first approximation its listed properties appear to be fairly close (though not identical) to Drakeol® 7 White Mineral Oil. That might (???) qualify as an alternative.

WARNING: The aspiration of any oil mist into the lungs can be fatal. Be very careful to properly protect yourself and those around you when spraying it.
I'm planning on using an old sprinkler can to oil the coal in the tractor bucket before I dump it into my new gravity bin wagon. Oil mist won't be a problem.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Apr. 15, 2013 8:10 am

The various Drake Oils (Drakeol®) are very commonly used in industry. That is why I tossed it out as a potential substitute.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”