Stockton Anthrasite

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Oct. 26, 2013 10:18 am

So far I'm very impressed with how little ash there is with this coal as compared to my last year's coal. Even after an 18 hour burn, I only filled the ash pan half way at shake time. Before, an 18 hour burn would fill the ash pan and then some.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 9:30 am

This is my synopsis of this coal. I'm on day 4, I've still got about 20#s left in the bag, and this is what my fire pit looked like after almost 9 hrs of unattended burn.

In my little stove, it's nothing shy of a miracle. The brand X I was using the past couple seasons didn't perform as well as this. I think I'll be buying a couple ton of Stockton this winter, cause it really appears to have a "leg up" on the competition.
here's the amount in the ash pan, after scraping the grates. Not too bad

Now if we could just get some winter weather, I wouldn't be roasting in my house, like last nit. Downstairs temp in the living room, 80*, and upstairs hallway, even hotter. Don't think our lows dropped much more than 43*. The highs today close to 60*. :cheers: Cheers
Last edited by joeq on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: <removed dead image links>

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 9:43 am

That ash looks identical to mine. Had a 24 hour burn yesterday. Ash content still seemed low as compared to last year's mystery red ash that was also saturated with fines hahaha. Very happy with this coal :D

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 10:14 am

24hrs?! I'ld kill for that. Course your stove holds a little more than mine. How much coal will your furnace hold Lightning?

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 10:42 am

It will hold 70-80 pounds, I usually add 25-35 pounds twice per day in colder weather (50-70 pounds per day). Right now she's just idling, I can get 24 hour burns during cool weather with 74 degrees in the house and using 30-35 pounds per day.

joeq

Post by joeq » Fri. Nov. 08, 2013 4:53 pm

BUMMER! I just learned my local supplier no longer carries Stockton coal. And on-line, there doesn't seem to be any other carriers, or even interest in the stuff. Guess it'll be back to "Santa" coal. :x

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Nov. 08, 2013 6:54 pm

Lightning wrote:So far I'm very impressed with how little ash there is with this coal as compared to my last year's coal. Even after an 18 hour burn, I only filled the ash pan half way at shake time. Before, an 18 hour burn would fill the ash pan and then some.
The ash content of the Stockton rice I got seems to be less than my previous coal, but only by weight....I still have to empty the ash tubs just as often, but they aren't as heavy.

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Nov. 12, 2013 5:14 pm

So here I am, on the brink of winter, and no Stockton from my supplier. This is the last pallet of pea to be had.

I did contact the mine in Hazelton, but there wasn't a salesman available to give me any info. They're suppose to call back tomorrow. Does anyone in the New England area know of a merchant that sells this stuff? South western NE to be exact.
Last edited by joeq on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: <removed dead image link>

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”