Hudson Coal

ihatewood

Post by ihatewood » Tue. Mar. 05, 2013 6:12 pm

Has anyone used these guys this winter wondering how it burned,that is rice. Called today was quoted 170.00 a ton picked up, their in Pitston?

ntp71
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Reading Foundry Water Heater
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Old Mill Mini Stoker with Keystoker Feed System
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar SCR
Baseburners & Antiques: Caloric UltraMatic Coal-Gas Range
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut

Post by ntp71 » Thu. Mar. 07, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi,

I loaded up a 55 gallon Drum (440 lbs) in early January and it lasted me a little over 4 weeks. However when I went back and filled it again, I burned almost the whole 440lbs in 2 weeks...NO LIE! I had my feed rate set really high on the coal trol because it was burning so fast. I took a sample to work an matched it to a friends coal (delivered by Chervy) and his was far superior. The sample I brought in had a lot of slate and dirt and was dull, yet my buddies was much more shiny. Also, Since my load was under 1/2 ton I was charged an extra $10...I don't understand the need to charge me an extra amount of money when I shoveled it myself.

After the last batch of Hudson I decided to return to the Hazleton Area where I grew up. I filled up my pickup truck with 1200lbs of Jeddo Coal, and I must say that you can clearly see the difference between the two. Jeddo's is much more shinier..almost glass like, and very black. I had to adjust the Coaltrol to feed less while still maintaining the set temp. I also want to add that Jeddo did not have a minimum fee and since I went over my budget by $3 they adjusted my bill instead of having me shovel off coal.

Just my experience with Hudson..I really wanted that relationship to work out..I tried

Neal

ihatewood

Post by ihatewood » Fri. Mar. 08, 2013 9:21 pm

Thanks Neal

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Sat. Mar. 09, 2013 10:14 am

Well, Ive got two choices locally. Hudson for $200 /ton or Blaschak for $300 /ton. I couldnt believe that the Blaschak was 50% better so huson it is. This is my 1st yr so I don't have any baseline but I have had zero problems in the efm. Next year I am gonna go direct to Lehiegh and get a 30 ton load and put it in a bin at my shop. Then if the sky does fall at least Ill be warm.

Waldo

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Mar. 09, 2013 10:32 am

When I was in business I dealt with Hudson exclusively. I haven't been over there for years and I haven't used any of their coal in years either. What I can tell you is when I was going there the product was usually good and sometimes outstanding. If you look over any of the reviews here most people have positive comments about it.
waldo lemieux wrote:Hudson for $200 /ton
Is that like bulk vs. bag? Assuming the quality is good as it used to be that's an excellent price.

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Sat. Mar. 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Richard ,

Both are bulk delivered within 15 mi. Honestly the guy selling hudson could get more, eaisly.....

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Mar. 09, 2013 5:01 pm

waldo lemieux wrote:Richard ,

Both are bulk delivered within 15 mi. Honestly the guy selling hudson could get more, eaisly.....
I would say so, I never went into NY but I was probably charging $185 per ton on the border back in 2007.

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sat. Mar. 09, 2013 7:16 pm

I just did a trade deal with a guy. A generator for a ton of the finest and he also planed and is putting tongue and groove on eighty 1"x12"x12foot pine boards. He said it's from a truckload of Hudson that he got last year. It burns pretty good. Better than most. Hot! It fills the ash pan with light ash. Easy to take out. I'm very happy with it :D That trade worked out pretty good ;)

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Sat. Mar. 09, 2013 9:21 pm

Richard,
If ya do come to NY be sure you get a prescription for some blood pressure meds before you head out. This place will piss you off the minute you cross the border :( If I could relocate my business without going broke ,well...... remember the "giant sucking sound " Ross Perot used to talk about? That would be me and about 50% of the people I know leavin town! How about bringing some extra bp meds for me when you come... :help:

RAYJAY
Stoker Coal Boiler: VAN WERT - 600 VA HOT WATER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN- MAGUM STOKER
Coal Size/Type: BUCKWHEAT ON BOTH
Other Heating: NG BOILER

Post by RAYJAY » Sat. Mar. 09, 2013 11:06 pm

will not even get started about Hudson coal......... only cost me a rings on my vanwerth never seen coal weld up like Hudson,

try casey kassa coal right by Hudson and it burns great in the Harman getting 2 hopper fills to one ash lots of fly ash and bone

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”