Coal Truck CDL, and Wholesale Coal Cost Question.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sat. Mar. 02, 2013 11:13 am

ntp71 wrote:If I am just going to do a Coal truck (over 26,00lbs) then a Class B will suffice, however if I want to be marketable in the future as far as getting a job in the trucking industry then a Class A is the better choice...sound about right?
Sounds right.

If you do buy a truck and you know someone with a class A or B license that could ride along with you until you figure it all out, you could test in your own truck. Someone like an older truck driver that is semi-retired but still has the CDL. They would also have to accompany you to the road test. The class B should not be too hard, just like a pickup, only larger. :D

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post by Wiz » Sat. Mar. 02, 2013 12:00 pm

Once you pass your written tests the driven part is easy. I've trained several people to get their cdl and everyone passed first time . Know the PTI ( pre trip inspection) like the back of your hand. Also know how to do the air down test. Know the route that dot testing officer will use, this way you can drive it before test time. He'll ask you several questions like what is exit ramp speed, height of any over pass and if your going down a hill you went up what gear should you be in.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Mar. 02, 2013 12:08 pm

They'll also stop you on an incline, I know they did for me. Be sure to use the parking brake to start out.

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post by Wiz » Sat. Mar. 02, 2013 12:23 pm

They'll also stop you on a an incline, I know they did for me. Be sure to use the parking brake to start out.
Good point... Another one is.... They might have you pull off the roadway, if they do leave left side drive tires on blacktop. Officer is seeing if you do it, keeping drive tire on hard surface will help prevent getting stuck on roadside.

ntp71
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Reading Foundry Water Heater
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Old Mill Mini Stoker with Keystoker Feed System
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar SCR
Baseburners & Antiques: Caloric UltraMatic Coal-Gas Range
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut

Post by ntp71 » Sat. Mar. 02, 2013 12:58 pm

Ok..so a Class B Cdl test, and a retired guy to drive around with while having a permit..lol

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”