Uae Coal Mine Out of Buisness

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Fri. Feb. 22, 2013 9:47 pm

No pea size mixed in. The nut coal seems to be sized just right. It's a very low ash red coal as well. The owner told me that up until last year, they bought their coal from a broker, but now they mine their own, and the built their own breaker in 2012.

This coal burns like a dream in my DS Machine.

If you haven't burned UAE yet though, might as well get some while you can!

jschaefer7406

Post by jschaefer7406 » Sun. Feb. 24, 2013 11:32 am

Was there yesterday for 3 ton of nut and was also told "about a month". That was from the weigh master, didn't even have to deal with the coal Nazi :D.

Joe

dtzackus
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar LCC

Post by dtzackus » Tue. Feb. 26, 2013 7:40 am

I went up at 8am, I had to take the wife and kids to school. There was a line to get on the scale. I got a total of 2 1/2 ton of nut. I asked the lady about them closing, she just replied in a few months.

Vangellis
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Olix Air Flo
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Vangellis » Tue. Feb. 26, 2013 5:50 pm

Maybe they are trying to create an end of the season rush with all of the closing talk.

Kevin

grobinson2
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy, and EFM 520 round door
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coalbrookdale Darby, Harman Mark III, Stratford SC100, DutchWest 288 (With Coal Insert), Coalbrookdale Severn, Hitzer 50/93, Hitzer 354 Double Door, FrancoBelge La Normandie, DS Machine Anthramax
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Buck, Pea, Nut, and Stove
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Defiant 1975 FlexBurn, Fisher Grandpa Bear, Vermont Castings DutchWest 224, Vermont Castings Defiant 1945, Ravelli RV-100 Classic, Progress Hybrid, Glenwood Wood Chip Boiler

Post by grobinson2 » Tue. Mar. 19, 2013 10:58 am

Any update on UAE?

Thanks,
Glenn

russocw75
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo CW 75
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by russocw75 » Wed. Mar. 20, 2013 1:25 pm

Got a pickup load of nut this morning. It was sized properly and clean, but more fines than previous loads. Don't know if the cat just hit a certain part of the bin, or they're working off the end of the pile from the mine.

Most, but not all sizes were available. Loaders were continuing to stock the bins. I would definitely call ahead to make sure they have your size.

A lot of activity with 3 pickups being loaded and equipment loading heavy junk parts from around the scale area onto trucks for transport. Looks to be site clean up, which may mean the start of the end.

grobinson2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coalbrookdale Darby, Harman Mark III, Stratford SC100, DutchWest 288 (With Coal Insert), Coalbrookdale Severn, Hitzer 50/93, Hitzer 354 Double Door, FrancoBelge La Normandie, DS Machine Anthramax
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Defiant 1975 FlexBurn, Fisher Grandpa Bear, Vermont Castings DutchWest 224, Vermont Castings Defiant 1945, Ravelli RV-100 Classic, Progress Hybrid, Glenwood Wood Chip Boiler

Post by grobinson2 » Wed. Mar. 20, 2013 3:37 pm

Well that sucks. I will call before I go up for another 10 ton. I guess we just don't know what kind or quality of coal will be hauled in to the breaker when the new buyer takes over. :(

Thanks again,
Glenn

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Mar. 20, 2013 9:13 pm

New Buyer???

I thought the place was shutting down due to no more coal to be mined there.
There was some talk of something starting up across the road from UAE.

grobinson2

Post by grobinson2 » Wed. Mar. 20, 2013 9:47 pm

I spoke with UAE this afternoon, they are closing down on Friday. There is someone buying the braker but the coal will be brought in, not mined at the UAE mine. I am going up tomorrow and getting my last five ton load. Sad. :(

Glenn

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Thu. Mar. 21, 2013 1:48 pm

Just called UAE (3/21/2012) to see if they had any pea coal. They are closed, except for the left over coal. They had no pea coal. Sorry to see them gone. Hopefully someone will get new permits, maybe for surface mining and re-open. For certain it will not happen quickly.

Coal sales there will continue and be operated by "Malarkey" (sp?), the operation "across the street". I know nothing about Malarkey's, it's coal source or quality. Anyone know?

What's another supplier of UAE like quality coal? Ideally located somewhere south of Mt. Carmel. Anything north is making my trip from Maryland longer.

Anthracite Ed
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: UAE Classic Deep Mined
Other Heating: Electric Heat Pump

Post by Anthracite Ed » Thu. Mar. 21, 2013 3:06 pm

Went up this afternoon for one last run, Try superior coal off Hegins exit on I81, did not try Superior Coal yet but heard it is Red ash like UAE
Would save about 20-30 miles off your trip from maryland round trip

grobinson2

Post by grobinson2 » Thu. Mar. 21, 2013 3:14 pm

I just got back from UAE with 5 tons of rice. According to UAE they will close Friday, but the breaker and coal yard will reopen again in about a month. Of course as has already been posted the coal will be from accross the road and it is not yet known what ash content or BTU value it will be. They had thought that they might be able to just switch owners and not have to close the breaker down at all but due to permits it will take that month or less. I am going up for one more load of rice if they have any left in the AM. On another note I tried Supiear (sp?) And compared to UAE it blows! Way way way more ash. That said the people at the breaker are some of the nicest people you will ever meet!

Thanks,
Glenn

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Thu. Mar. 21, 2013 6:00 pm

Anthracite Ed wrote:Went up this afternoon for one last run, Try superior coal off Hegins exit on I81, did not try Superior Coal yet but heard it is Red ash like UAE
Would save about 20-30 miles off your trip from maryland round trip
I burned Superior coal for years up until 2-3 years ago. It was red ash and burned hot and well. The coal at that time was deep mined. Today it is apparently not and is mixed from multiple sources. It's burn characteristics have changed and it is judged to inferior to the coal of years ago. The judgement made by a forum member local to the area. I have not burned what they are selling today.

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Thu. Mar. 21, 2013 8:36 pm

[quote="Yanche]I burned Superior coal for years up until 2-3 years ago. It was red ash and burned hot and well. The coal at that time was deep mined. Today it is apparently not and is mixed from multiple sources. It's burn characteristics have changed and it is judged to inferior to the coal of years ago. The judgement made by a forum member local to the area. I have not burned what they are selling today.[/quote]

I burned superior coal for most of the 2011-2012 heating season. In a hand fed, it was great. Lots of heat, and I didn't get any clinkers with it. It seems to be a mix of mostly white ash, with a little bit of red interspersed.

The nut coal from Mammoth that I burned this year was also excellent, but it sounds like their (under) sizing of rice caused issues for some stoker users.

IMO, the biggest advantage to the UAE coal was it's low ash content.... The lowest of any coal that I've burned. What I didn't like, is its tendency to clinker badly when fired hot. I picked some very gnarly looking clinkers out of my stove. Personally, I would rather dump the ash pan a little more often, than to go fishing thru the firebox for clinkers.

boatsnhoes

Post by boatsnhoes » Fri. Mar. 22, 2013 1:37 pm

Was at Harmony at about 11 a.m. this morning to pickup some rice,while I was on the scale for weigh in there were three triaxles behind me,as I was loading ,the trucks headed up the mountain as well as a loader.Till I got loaded and weighed back in these trucks were coming off the mountain loaded to the hilt.I assumed the coal they had left in the bins was all they had !!!! apparently not.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”