Rice Coal or Coal CHIPS?

stoker_RI

Post by stoker_RI » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 11:19 am

Recently, the subject of the actual size of rice coal may have an impact on it burning correctly in the boiler that I have, the LL110...The thought being that if it the rice coal is overly small, that may allow the coal to compact too much, and not allow sufficient air up through the coal bed.
That led me to analyse my Blaschak bagged rice coal a bit more...
Here is a picture of it...I was surprised to see how non-uniform the rice coal was!...and that it contains lots of very small chips of coal...

Is this what your rice coal looks like? Is this what I should expect it to look like?

Let me know your thoughts, please!..Thanks!
RiceCoal.jpg
.JPG | 234.2KB | RiceCoal.jpg

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 11:56 am

It appears to be normal sized rice, with normal amount of fines. I mix my rice with buc, just to make sure I get enough air thru it.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 4:03 pm

Looks good to me...burn baby burn!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 4:17 pm

Looks typical to me. If your stoker provides the heat output you need and you are able to achieve a proper amount of ash at the end of the stoker...you are going fine.
009to090 wrote:I mix my rice with buck, just to make sure I get enough air thru it.
I am pretty sure you could have good results even with straight UAE rice...it burns hot and fast.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 4:19 pm

Rob R. wrote: I am pretty sure you could have good results even with straight UAE rice...it burns hot and fast.
It does. No complaints with straight rice. I 'believe' extra BTUs with buc mixed in :idea:

stoker_RI

Post by stoker_RI » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 5:43 pm

Thanks..

it would be nice to try buc just to see...but if there is dealer anywhere in New England he has evaded me!

stoker_RI

Post by stoker_RI » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 5:47 pm

Somebody send me Care Package !! :up:

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 7:26 pm

stoker_RI wrote:Thanks..

it would be nice to try buc just to see...but if there is dealer anywhere in New England he has evaded me!
Yaaa I hear ya bro... these guys talk about picking up a load of Buc or trying some epic pro vein of anthracite that can burn for weeks or 1/3 rd.price day on some red ash coal so grab 3 ton quick, like it was right in their back yards (Oh ya, it IS right in their back yards LOL). Things are not so easy for us New Englanders :(

plumber
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Other Heating: Biasi B-4 oil boiler

Post by plumber » Thu. Feb. 07, 2013 6:32 am

Fuel & Flame in Woonsocket will get buck for you, if you order it in the spring. Pretty good peoe to deal with.

stoker_RI

Post by stoker_RI » Thu. Feb. 07, 2013 7:00 am

plumber wrote:Fuel & Flame in Woonsocket will get buck for you, if you order it in the spring. Pretty good peoe to deal with.
Thanks..I bought my Alaska stoker from him back when he left People's Coal...do you know if it is bagged or bulk?
I know you were hot for buc at one point, since then I think you've changed your mind..how come?

Do you know if that is Reading as well?

stoker_RI

Post by stoker_RI » Thu. Feb. 07, 2013 7:12 am

dcrane wrote:
Yaaa I hear ya bro... these guys talk about picking up a load of Buc or trying some epic pro vein of anthracite that can burn for weeks or 1/3 rd.price day on some red ash coal so grab 3 ton quick, like it was right in their back yards (Oh ya, it IS right in their back yards LOL). Things are not so easy for us New Englanders :(
-Yes...so true...It's nice to learn about the different coal and characteristics on here ...then its a bummer when you realise you can't get the stuff!
Maybe the Mayor can pull some strings, since he is in office, and lobby the local dealers here to diversify their products!.. :lol:

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Thu. Feb. 07, 2013 8:19 am

stoker_RI wrote:
dcrane wrote:
-Yes...so true...It's nice to learn about the different coal and characteristics on here ...then its a bummer when you realise you can't get the stuff!
Maybe the Mayor can pull some strings, since he is in office, and lobby the local dealers here to diversify their products!.. :lol:
I buy from whatever breaker I want, and hire a trucking company to deliver it. I'm probably farther away from the mines than you-guys.

plumber

Post by plumber » Thu. Feb. 07, 2013 8:21 am

Fuel & Flame sells bagged Reading.

stoker_RI

Post by stoker_RI » Thu. Feb. 07, 2013 11:38 pm

plumber wrote:Fuel & Flame sells bagged Reading.
They sell bagged buc? Have u tried it in the LL110?

plumber

Post by plumber » Fri. Feb. 08, 2013 5:02 pm

Not Reading buck. I won't use the buck I tried to burn to anything but gravel.
You have to order it in the spring, he doesn't stock it.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”