Stove Size Coal in Southern Maine

longbeach

Post by longbeach » Fri. Dec. 07, 2012 2:33 pm

Hello, does anyone know a dealer in Southern Maine( Greater Portland area preferably) that carries stove size coal. I've been burning nut, which is fine. But, have always wanted to try out some stove size, but can't find it. Thanks

Northern Maine

Post by Northern Maine » Fri. Dec. 07, 2012 2:39 pm

longbeach wrote:Hello, does anyone know a dealer in Southern Maine( Greater Portland area preferably) that carries stove size coal. I've been burning nut, which is fine. But, have always wanted to try out some stove size, but can't find it. Thanks
Contact Center farms.. they may be able to drop some off on their way through! http://centerfarmscoal.com/

longbeach

Post by longbeach » Fri. Dec. 07, 2012 5:31 pm

OK thanks, Actually I found some, in Dayton, at Andy's Agway

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Dec. 07, 2012 8:10 pm

I was going to say, try an Agway near you. Winslow Agway, while not near you is the only place I can find stove coal. I think you will like it, it burns longer then nut but not as hot. I prefer it, but have a hard time getting out to get it in Winslow.

longbeach

Post by longbeach » Tue. Dec. 11, 2012 1:06 pm

Well, I've been burning the stove size coal for 3 days now and I've got say I'm very pleased. The burn times are great. I'm having no probelm getting a 12 hour burn in my Godin stove. I know that's not the size they recommend, but I've always wanted to try it anyway. So far, I'm glad I did. But, It's still an experiment. I'll see how it does over the next few weeks, especially when the weather gets colder. I'll just keep buying 5 or 6 bags at a time 'till I'm sure about it. But, so far so good.

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Wed. Dec. 12, 2012 4:24 am

Just curious; is that Stove Coal Reading Coal?

If I remember right, the Stove Coal I got earlier in the year was Reading Coal and came in 50 pound bags instead of 40 pound bags.

longbeach

Post by longbeach » Wed. Dec. 12, 2012 5:42 pm

No, it was Kimmel's, 50 lb. bag though. Got it at Andy's Agway in Dayton

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Wed. Dec. 12, 2012 7:36 pm

Try Southern Maine Renewable Fuels. They are in Windham and Wells. Nice folks to deal with.
They carry Blaschak, 40 pound bags.

http://woodpellets4me.com

longbeach

Post by longbeach » Sat. Dec. 22, 2012 2:34 pm

I've been to SMRF , I was trying out some compressed logs during the moderate weather. Actually they work great, but are too expensive to burn continuously. I knew they carried coal. but did not realize they had stove size. Well, as the Stove size experiment continues, I'm still very happy with it. I get great burn times, nice ash with very few clinkers. On the warmer days you have to make sure to give it plenty of air. But, have found it to be very predictable, if the temps having a hard time getting up it needs shaking. On the colder days, shaking down twice a day was working good. But in the moderate weather more like 18 hours. As I said before so far I'm very pleased. I'm burning this in a small oval Petit Godin. I also used for a few colder days in a small round Petit Godin in my basement, same results. The big thing I noticed (so far anyway) is that I've had no surprises. With the nut or pea it seemed like every once in a while you would check it and everything looked great, and then you come back an hour later and it's out. You're right about SMRF though great folks.....

Ravin

Post by Ravin » Tue. Jul. 16, 2013 5:56 pm

Iv been looking myself.I called Lowes in Augusta and he s going to check into buying bulk coal.Hes the manager his name if Rod.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”