Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by buffalo bob » Sun. Dec. 02, 2012 11:46 am

lehigh anthracite has anyone burned this coal...please give ur comments

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Dec. 02, 2012 12:59 pm

Forum members Townsend and Pacowy each got 20+ ton deliveries from Lehigh this fall and gave it "two thumbs up".

Lehigh Anthracite

If you are shopping for a TT or triaxle load, I wouldn't hesitate to give them a call.

mattcoalburner
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading Juniata

Post by mattcoalburner » Mon. Dec. 03, 2012 8:05 am

They are in the top two in coal, I do know right now though they are pulling alot of red ash

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Dec. 03, 2012 1:11 pm

mattcoalburner wrote:They are in the top two in coal, I do know right now though they are pulling alot of red ash
Matt, please explain why that woud be a concern. Is their ash content running abnormally high, or is there something generally undesirable about red ash in particular?

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning # 500
Baseburners & Antiques: Peninsular Western Hot Blast No.44K and Reading Foundry & Supply Co.

Post by fifthg » Tue. Dec. 04, 2012 10:37 am

Red ash coal is an indication of high iron content in the coal,and frequently this is the culprit in clinkering problems

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Tue. Dec. 04, 2012 11:05 am

fifthg wrote:Red ash coal is an indication of high iron content in the coal,and frequently this is the culprit in clinkering problems
I wonder why and how Harmony coal got to be all the rage, as it is very red ash.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Dec. 04, 2012 11:20 am

lsayre wrote:
fifthg wrote:Red ash coal is an indication of high iron content in the coal,and frequently this is the culprit in clinkering problems
I wonder why and how Harmony coal got to be all the rage, as it is very red ash.
Yes, and it will clinker severely if you get the ashes hot enough.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Tue. Dec. 04, 2012 6:14 pm

I will admit my ash pan has been chock full of crunchy clumps. The AA/AHS grate system seems capable of chewing up and spitting out nearly anything (so far, knock on coal).

mattcoalburner

Post by mattcoalburner » Thu. Dec. 20, 2012 8:47 am

lsayre wrote:
I have been wondering the same thing, UAE is very red ash, and its not just a clinckering culprit, but red ash coal having more iron ALSO means less carbon...

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Dec. 20, 2012 8:57 am

mattcoalburner wrote:but red ash coal having more iron ALSO means less carbon...
Even if the total amount of ash is very low? :gee:

mattcoalburner

Post by mattcoalburner » Thu. Dec. 20, 2012 9:14 am

Rob R. wrote:
mattcoalburner wrote:but red ash coal having more iron ALSO means less carbon...
Even if the total amount of ash is very low? :gee:

Look you can have shitty red ash coal, or you can have shitty white ash coal, what im saying is if you have EQUAL quality of coal white as opposed to red, the white will be better coal
Ill put it to you this wayIf I have a Ton of coal, one with NO iron and one with Alot of Iron which one do you think is gonna weigh more per 5 gallons? fill a 5 gallon bucket with carbon(charcoal) and one with carbon and iron, which weighs more??
You will get alot more coal in your ton with white ash coal, and alot less weight from by products. I just put an analysis in the UAW coal post for your info

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Dec. 20, 2012 9:31 am

Listen, I'm not arguing with you...just asking a question and trying to learn something. I don't get cranked up over the color of the ash anyway. For me sizing consistency, availability, and btu's/$ trumps the rest of the lab sheet.

mattcoalburner

Post by mattcoalburner » Thu. Dec. 20, 2012 12:27 pm

[quote="Rob R."]Listen, I'm not arguing with you...just asking a question and trying to learn something. I don't get cranked up over the color of the ash anyway. For me sizing consistency, availability, and btu's/$ trumps the rest of the lab sheet.

What im trying to tell everyone is your fuel comes from the carbon content, so less carbon generally means less BTU. If you have red ash coal with very little other by products it could be very good coal, although your still gonna get less actual coal per ton because of iron weight.

rrtaylor

Post by rrtaylor » Thu. Dec. 27, 2012 9:27 am

The three most important constituent of coal are ash (inerts), volatiles (gas contained in the coal i.e. hydrogen, nitrogen and oxygen) and fixed carbon. If you add the percentage of each you should come very close to 100%. In regards to the never ending mystery of red vs. white ash; mineral analysis of the ash will reveal that silicon dioxide (SiO2) will be 50-58% of the ash, aluminum oxide (Al2O3) will be 29-32% of the ash and iron oxide (Fe2O3) will be 4-8% of the ash. A higher ash coal that contans a higher percentage of Fe2O3 will most likely have a reddish colored ash. FYI - Lehigh is NOT washing bank material. All coal sold comes from either the mammoth, forty foot, primrose or orchard veins.rrtaylor

Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Stoker stove I
Private message

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354 and a 254
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by buffalo bob » Thu. Dec. 27, 2012 9:58 am

welcome to the fourm rr interesting post...just wish lehigh would sell to the little guys...please place ur location on ur profile closest town good enuf.. no one will stalk ya

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”