1 Ton Bag of Coal ? Ever Hear of This?

User avatar
davidmcbeth3
Member
Posts: 5573
Joined: Sun. Jun. 14, 2009 2:31 pm
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 503

Post Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 4:17 am


**Broken Link(s) Removed**
get 2 tons in big bag I guess, not that bad a price ...

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

User avatar
lsayre
Member
Posts: 12570
Joined: Wed. Nov. 23, 2005 9:17 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75
Location: N/E Ohio, between Medina and Wadsworth

Post Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 5:53 am

Probably what is known as a "supersack". I stored my first years worth of coal (7 tons) in supersacks at one ton each, and I still have 2 of them left over. I'm keeping it as reserve coal. But I loaded my own supersacks right off of the bulk delivery truck.

NoSmoke
Member
Posts: 984
Joined: Sun. Oct. 14, 2012 7:52 pm
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler (Back-up)
Location: Mid Coast Maine

Post Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 6:19 am

I have never heard of it in coal, but for farmers, we get bulk deliveries of fertilizer in 1 ton bags/sacks (whichever you prefer to call it) a lot. So it does not surprise me that coal would be delivered in the same manner. I would buy coal that way, and to be honest with you, I could see in the future where delivering coal and pellets that way would be pretty common.

This is just me, but I think it is silly to pump oil out of the ground and make plastic bags from that oil to contain 40 pounds of coal/pellets just to get it from one place to another. I do not use enough coal to really justify getting a truckload of it here, but deliveries in a 1 ton bag would be just about right.

User avatar
lsayre
Member
Posts: 12570
Joined: Wed. Nov. 23, 2005 9:17 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75
Location: N/E Ohio, between Medina and Wadsworth

Post Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 6:41 am

My supersacks were used (one time, so they were like new, and will probably last a lifetime) and I got them for $4 apiece.

User avatar
davidmcbeth3
Member
Posts: 5573
Joined: Sun. Jun. 14, 2009 2:31 pm
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 503

Post Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 7:10 am

Other than that craigslist ad ... I don't know of anyone in CT that provides coal in such a container .. anybody know of anyone?

If it were to save me some greenbacks, I'm all for it.

User avatar
lsayre
Member
Posts: 12570
Joined: Wed. Nov. 23, 2005 9:17 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75
Location: N/E Ohio, between Medina and Wadsworth

Post Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 7:13 am

davidmcbeth3 wrote:Other than that craigslist ad ... I don't know of anyone in CT that provides coal in such a container .. anybody know of anyone?

If it were to save me some greenbacks, I'm all for it.
If you can find the empty bags, just fill them directly off of a bulk truck (provided that it has a chute or conveyor discharge) and save loads of money.

User avatar
davidmcbeth3
Member
Posts: 5573
Joined: Sun. Jun. 14, 2009 2:31 pm
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 503

Post Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 7:36 am

lsayre wrote:
davidmcbeth3 wrote:Other than that craigslist ad ... I don't know of anyone in CT that provides coal in such a container .. anybody know of anyone?

If it were to save me some greenbacks, I'm all for it.
If you can find the empty bags, just fill them directly off of a bulk truck (provided that it has a chute or conveyor discharge) and save loads of money.
Good idea ... who sells bulk in CT ?

User avatar
SteveZee
Member
Posts: 2512
Joined: Wed. May. 11, 2011 10:45 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range
Location: Downeast , Maine

Post Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 9:12 am

lsayre wrote:My supersacks were used (one time, so they were like new, and will probably last a lifetime) and I got them for $4 apiece.
Yep I see them on E-bay for sale after one use.

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

User avatar
whistlenut
Member
Posts: 3548
Joined: Sat. Mar. 17, 2007 6:29 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB
Location: Central NH, Concord area

Post Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 9:22 am

We have as many tons as you might want available for a price less than posted. You specify the brand, we bag it and deliver it. We've done this for years now, and if Blashak bagged is a problem for you, this solves it. This is not a joke, unless you just don't know any better. If not this year, plan ahead.

Northern Maine
Member
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat. Nov. 10, 2012 6:12 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: CENTRAL Boiler CL-5648
Stove/Furnace Model: CL-5648
Location: Aroostok County, Easton, Maine

Post Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 2:07 pm

NoSmoke wrote:I have never heard of it in coal, but for farmers, we get bulk deliveries of fertilizer in 1 ton bags/sacks (whichever you prefer to call it) a lot. So it does not surprise me that coal would be delivered in the same manner. I would buy coal that way, and to be honest with you, I could see in the future where delivering coal and pellets that way would be pretty common.

This is just me, but I think it is silly to pump oil out of the ground and make plastic bags from that oil to contain 40 pounds of coal/pellets just to get it from one place to another. I do not use enough coal to really justify getting a truckload of it here, but deliveries in a 1 ton bag would be just about right.
I agree 100%! Waste not want not! ;)

User avatar
KLook
Member
Posts: 3650
Joined: Sun. Feb. 17, 2008 1:08 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Other Heating: Gas boiler backup/main
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000
Location: Harrison, Tenn

Post Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 2:22 pm

That might be a good idea to get it from Easton to Machias. Hey Northern Maine, what is the going price up in Easton?

Kevin

Northern Maine
Member
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat. Nov. 10, 2012 6:12 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: CENTRAL Boiler CL-5648
Stove/Furnace Model: CL-5648
Location: Aroostok County, Easton, Maine

Post Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 2:49 pm

KLook wrote:That might be a good idea to get it from Easton to Machias. Hey Northern Maine, what is the going price up in Easton?

Kevin
$285 bulk delivered and $305 ton bagged! Not bad seeing where most other places in Maine are MUCH higher!

NoSmoke
Member
Posts: 984
Joined: Sun. Oct. 14, 2012 7:52 pm
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler (Back-up)
Location: Mid Coast Maine

Post Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 5:41 pm

It is 354 out of Dysarts in Hamden without the 60 dollar delivery charge.

User avatar
jpete
Member
Posts: 10627
Joined: Thu. Nov. 22, 2007 9:52 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice
Location: Warwick, RI

Post Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 7:16 pm

Not a terrible price for coal but with delivery it's $370 and that's way high.

Cranston Coal is $297/ton and I got it delivered to Warwick for $330.

You need a place to put it of course, but if you can find the bag cheap enough, you can save a couple dollars.

User avatar
KLook
Member
Posts: 3650
Joined: Sun. Feb. 17, 2008 1:08 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Other Heating: Gas boiler backup/main
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000
Location: Harrison, Tenn

Post Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 8:10 pm

$285 bulk delivered and $305 ton bagged! Not bad seeing where most other places in Maine are MUCH higher!
How about pick up? If I bought some bags and had them fill them at their place? I have access to a 1 ton dump and a 9 ton trailer, flat bed. I could get a years supply in one trip.

Kevin

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

Post Reply

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”