Bulk Coal!

backwoodbill

Post by backwoodbill » Fri. Nov. 16, 2012 4:19 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
I thought I would post this as I know many would be interested check out uncle henrys' online under stoves on page 13 this weeks issue there is an add for bulk coal and they are taking concensus of who would be interested in bulk coal in the Bangor area they ask you what type of coal you use when you fill out the extremely short survey as they would like to set up a bulk you pickup at yard system and you can bet if there are enough interested they will also set up a delivery service or farm out the delivery just thought it could work I did tell them to check out our forum and that there would be those interested well thats it I wish this the best of luck as I hate paying bagged coal prices lets hear your input on this sincerely Bill!

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Sat. Nov. 17, 2012 11:23 am

I read about a guy a few years ago that thought selling bulk coal in the Dover-Foxcroft area could make a buck but was working on a way to get a railroad load of coal up this way, but that was in 2009 and I am not sure if he ever did it.

I know Dysarts in Hermon sells coal and delivers it by the ton. Not sure if you can go and pick it up though on your own (the choice I would make).

Here mid coast Maine it is tough getting bulk coal compared to 20 years ago. I can't believe I am saying that and I am only 38 years old!

NoSmoke
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Sat. Nov. 17, 2012 11:25 am

Here is the link to the guy with the bulk coal ad/survey...
Last edited by NoSmoke on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: <removed dead link>

Steven

Post by Steven » Sun. Nov. 18, 2012 5:40 am

Hi all, My name is Steven Bell and I live in Hermon Maine.I am sure I am not the only one that loves to heat with coal as it is such a great heat (at least in my house) for the last few years. I am the person that posted the ad in Uncle Henrys and am in hopes to get something started here of offer a better price to all of us coal burners. I am not looking to get rich here, I only want to offer a great product that can save us all a little money trying to survive in these tough times. With that being said, I don't want to loose money either. I would really appreciate your support in helping me with this while I try to help you. I personally think there has to be a better way to get our heating fuel. I think the more people that know, the better our success rate will be. Please tell your freinds to e~mail at [email protected] I am not sure this will work, but I am really giving it my all. Thankyou.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sun. Nov. 18, 2012 6:19 am

NoSmoke wrote:Here mid coast Maine it is tough getting bulk coal compared to 20 years ago.
On a small scale yes, but it's easy to get a tractor truck full. For sure 20 years ago you could order 4 or 8 ton out of Bangor & they would deliver to the coast cheap. That placed closed long ago. Center Farms will deliver anywhere I think and they do bulk now, but it's not as cheap as if you bought an entire truckload straight from PA. Steven's idea could work but it's tricky. The authorities are now wicked strict on overweight trailers. If a large supply was unloaded at Stevens place you gotta have the right equipment to go get it. It's not going to do anyone any good to save $100 on coal then pay a $500 fine. (I'm not sure what the fines are but I hear they are up there)

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Tue. Nov. 20, 2012 5:18 pm

Freddy...not arguing with you here at all, it is just when I wrote that I meant getting it down to Consumers Fuel in Belfast. Down there they would get a train car load of coal and divide it up, but then MBNA came in and wanted the wharf where the coal was sorted out, and the city of Belfast wanted the railroad gone...which occurred, so Consumers Fuel just got out of a low volume product. It was sad, but not as much as their $150 dollar per ton prices in 1994!! :-)

I have been out of the bulk buying loop for a few years now, but as I make the switch in a year or two , and go to 100% radiant floor heat, and get my hand fed coal stove to a stoker type, bulk coal will be a priority.

I would like to see Mr. bell succeed however as he is just as close as Belfast.

Ravin

Post by Ravin » Tue. Jul. 16, 2013 6:05 pm

I cant believe its so hard to get bulk coal here in Me.Im in for 2 tons if under 250$ @ ton.Called Lowes in Augusta.Talked to store manager Rod.He told me to call back in 2 week.There gona try getting Bulk coal.Maybe if more of you call,It may happen.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Tue. Jul. 16, 2013 6:31 pm

I applaud your support of a bulk distribution point, however with the loaders, fork trucks, delivery rigs, certified scales and a small margin, bulk is less favorable than bagged, IMO.

I have done bulk for 45 years and do understand and accept the challenges, however that is for my use.
Bagged could be easily loaded on any truck looking for a back-haul, not true with a trailer-dump.
Keep us informed, but keep BOTH eyes wide open, the 'mirage' you see is not the 'oasis' you think it is. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

I am aware of the tight DOT regs and spot inspectors, so DO NOT try to go overloaded with anything you own......or borrow!

Ravin

Post by Ravin » Thu. Jul. 18, 2013 5:54 pm

Im needing 2-3 tons of bulk coal by fall.Can anyone tell me were to buy bulk coal at a good price here in Me?thank you im in area of China Me.

mattcoalburner
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading Juniata

Post by mattcoalburner » Fri. Jul. 19, 2013 4:02 pm

Ravin wrote:Im needing 2-3 tons of bulk coal by fall.Can anyone tell me were to buy bulk coal at a good price here in Me?thank you im in area of China Me.
WHere are you located?

mattcoalburner

Post by mattcoalburner » Fri. Jul. 19, 2013 4:02 pm

Ravin wrote:Im needing 2-3 tons of bulk coal by fall.Can anyone tell me were to buy bulk coal at a good price here in Me?thank you im in area of China Me.
WHere are you located?

Ravin

Post by Ravin » Fri. Jul. 19, 2013 5:08 pm

mattcoalburner wrote:
im in china me.
WHere are you located?

hcarlow
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL 110

Post by hcarlow » Fri. Jul. 19, 2013 7:21 pm

Ravin wrote:
mattcoalburner wrote: im in china me.
WHere are you located?
If you can get bulk for under $250 here in Me. you would be doing well I think . I just paid $315 per ton for bagged plus $45 for delivery here in Aroostook County .

mattcoalburner

Post by mattcoalburner » Mon. Jul. 22, 2013 10:46 am

Im in the Antracite heartland of PA

4Mainer
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yorker WC90

Post by 4Mainer » Thu. Jul. 25, 2013 2:49 pm

I'm dropping my daughter off at school in Ithaca, NY in late August. I'm thinking of heading down to Scranton to pick up a couple of tons of Nut and/or Pea. Hudson quoted me $170/ton pick up. That sounds pretty good. Not sure how much I can haul in my car hauler trailer. Its an old 12' Uhaul - it needs a bottom & sides.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”