Future of Coal

Northern Maine

Post by Northern Maine » Sun. Nov. 11, 2012 6:39 pm

My brother and I have discussed the future of coal in our quest in switching from wood heat to coal heat. He believes that coal prices are going to skyrocket due to the current environmentally friendly political environment. I'm not so sure about that and asking for peoples thoughts...what say you folks?

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sun. Nov. 11, 2012 6:43 pm

In light of the election, I'm expecting the worst. I'll continue to burn coal as long as it's affordable to me. After that, I'll burn whatever I can get my hands on - tires, plastic , chemicals - you name it. Take your pick Obama - which would you rather me burn? Coal ... or tires?

If he thinks he's saving the world by screwing with coal, well let me tell you - he's gonna make things MUCH much worse. At least the air in this neighborhood.

Northern Maine

Post by Northern Maine » Sun. Nov. 11, 2012 6:52 pm

Smitty...the past four years coal prices have remained the same here where I am...do you see ANY indication that that will change for the worse outside of the political arena?

Mark (PA)
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1953 EFM520 Highboy

Post by Mark (PA) » Sun. Nov. 11, 2012 6:56 pm

well

its an interesting question and I really have no idea about the price of coal but in my eyes is a very relative thing...

Coal (since I started burning it 6 years ago) has gone up in my local area (South Cental PA) about 30 dollars. So about $5 per year. In 6 years about 14%

During that time Heating fuel oil has gone from $1.92 per gallon to $3.69 per gallon. An increase of 48%

So really coal prices might go up but they certainly haven't gone up like Fuel Oil and it will need to go A LONG LONG way to break even with many types of heating fuels. Be it natural gas, propane, heating fuel etc.

Provided we are not comparing free sources of heat such as wood that some folks may have on their properties etc... Coal is still very cheap and available at this time. I don't think it will change that drastically in the future although I do believe the price will continue to climb. It will however need to climb quite a bit to make me look at other sources of heat at this time. I have in the past burnt many types of biomass for heat also. Used to burn corn and that is totally out of the question now... so Coal, out of all these sources, has been VERY stable.

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Sun. Nov. 11, 2012 6:59 pm

Coal, along with everything else - including our state sales tax ( :mad: ) - has gone up BIG time the past 4 years. In '05 when I first started burning, I could get bagged nut coal right down the road for $260 a ton. Now even the cheapest places are $300 - most are MUCH higher! It's already $15 a ton more this year than last - I only see that trend continuing now.

steamup
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

Post by steamup » Sun. Nov. 11, 2012 7:00 pm

The political forces are going after powerplants, mountain top mining, etc. mainly to due with Bit Coal. However, the Marcellus and Utica shale gas deposits have done more damage to the coal industry. Cheap gas has utilities changing to natural gas for generation and idling the coal plants.

Anthracite will plug along in my opinion, subject to diesel fuel prices and demand for steel production.

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Sun. Nov. 11, 2012 7:03 pm

That's good to hear Steamup. I hope your right.

Northern Maine

Post by Northern Maine » Sun. Nov. 11, 2012 7:04 pm

In 8 years of burning wood...I have seen a cord increase from $50 to $150...thats a $12.50 increase per year!

Northern Maine

Post by Northern Maine » Sun. Nov. 11, 2012 7:07 pm

Coal in my neck of the woods is $280 for bulk and $300 for bagged per ton...the trend here is when diesel goes up the coal price does as well.

Northern Maine

Post by Northern Maine » Sun. Nov. 11, 2012 7:13 pm

Smitty...I think it's sad that your paying about the same as we do up here....especially when your so much closer to the source of coal...makes no sense! :x

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Sun. Nov. 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Yeah, that's life in MA. :roll:

Someday I'll leave this place. Whether physically or in a body bag makes no difference to me at this point. :lol:

Northern Maine

Post by Northern Maine » Sun. Nov. 11, 2012 7:36 pm

Smitty...Northern Maine is a very welcoming place! :lol:

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Sun. Nov. 11, 2012 7:39 pm

Yeah ME is nice ... but I'm a whiny wimp when it comes to being cold .. and dealing with snow ... :oops: :lol:

Northern Maine

Post by Northern Maine » Sun. Nov. 11, 2012 7:45 pm

As I get older... I feel the same way....but I look at all of the great things that I get to do here...IE, snowmobiling, fishing, hunting and shoot my guns off the back deck :D And I tell myself that its not too bad...however, in 15 years when I retire, I may have a different outlook ;)

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Sun. Nov. 11, 2012 7:53 pm

Now that you say that, I think that trumps my hatred of cold weather by FAR. 8-) I miss northern ME. Been years since I've been up that way. I like the towns so small they're named with numbers - that's where I want to live. ;)

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”