Coal Dealers in Vermont

Davian

Post by Davian » Fri. Oct. 19, 2012 9:37 pm

Greetings Vermonters,

I was thinking it would be a good idea to run down a list of coal dealers in Vermont along with their prices/brands:

I'll start...this year I got my first delivery from Jackman Fuels in Bristol, VT for $300 a ton for bagged nut coal delivered...Kimmel 50# bags.

The other local dealer I know of in N. Vermont is Williston Flag Works. I paid $330 a ton for them last year...Blaschak 40# bags from them.

I've heard that Hurlburt sells Kimmel and there's a place in Essex Junction as well.

So...feel free to add.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Oct. 20, 2012 11:07 am

Davian wrote:I've heard that Hurlburt sells Kimmel and there's a place in Essex Junction as well.
Yes, Hulburt Bros. is a Kimmel's dealer. Wright Family Farm Store in St. Albans also sells coal.

Davian

Post by Davian » Sun. Oct. 28, 2012 8:17 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Davian wrote:I've heard that Hurlburt sells Kimmel and there's a place in Essex Junction as well.
Yes, Hulburt Bros. is a Kimmel's dealer. Wright Family Farm Store in St. Albans also sells coal.
What kind of price does Wright give?

I checked Stove and Flag works in Williston (and Montpelier) and they're at $420 a pallet this year (2500 lbs) for Blaschak. $7 a bag for 40lb bags if you get them individually.

dug50
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Newmac
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil and electric

Post by dug50 » Tue. Jan. 15, 2013 12:44 pm

Nothern Coal and Oil in Essex Junction sells coal by the bag at $6.50 per 40 pound bag or $325/ton. They are very knowledgable about coal and coal burning stoves and furnaces.

Frenchef
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac 715

Post by Frenchef » Sun. May. 26, 2013 9:36 pm

Anybody have an idea of price for bagged nut coal in North Central Vermont??
Thanks

Davian

Post by Davian » Wed. Oct. 02, 2013 9:36 pm

Frenchef wrote:Anybody have an idea of price for bagged nut coal in North Central Vermont??
Thanks
Typically a pallet of bagged will go for around $330 a ton...you can get individual 40# bags from Stove and Flag Works (in Williston and Montpelier) for something like $7.00 a bag. A few Aubuchon's will also sell it by the bag or pallet for a bit more.

VtFarmboy
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: outdoor US Stoves EF1600
Other Heating: use some wood in woodstove when it gets real cold outside.

Post by VtFarmboy » Fri. Dec. 27, 2013 10:17 am

I have been buying my coal from West Lebanon Feed and Supply. Their price for all sizes seems to be the same. They have 40lb bags for 8.50 and 05lb for 12.50. I see this is a bit higher than other places in Vermont. I am going up to East Montpelier to Black Rock this afternoon to get 20 50lb bags at $10 each. I don't burn coal all of the time so I usually only pick up 20 or so bags at a time. I use it when I am going out for long periods of time. We have plenty of wood here of our own available. The wood I can only get 4 to 6 hours out of a burn as opposed to the 12 to 14 from a load of coal.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Dec. 27, 2013 10:21 am

Ah yes, the proverbial trip to Montpeculiar ;)

VtFarmboy

Post by VtFarmboy » Fri. Dec. 27, 2013 10:41 am

I just got a quote for 10 dollars for a 50lb bag at Black Rock Coal in East Montpelier. I also checked Stove and Flag works they quoted me 7 dollars for a 40lb bag. THey are in Monpelier. this was on 12/27/13
Frenchef wrote:Anybody have an idea of price for bagged nut coal in North Central Vermont??
Thanks

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Fri. Dec. 27, 2013 11:22 am

Going South In West Lebanon, NH, exit 19 on i-89 LongAcres Nursery, call them; they a considerable cheaper than West Leb Feed and it is Reading. Rice, Pea, Nut and Stove. Easy in, easy out, fork trucks everywhere, and they say thank you!

dug50
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Newmac
Other Heating: Oil and electric

Post by dug50 » Fri. Dec. 27, 2013 11:54 am

Northern Coal and Oil in Essex Junction is still selling all sizes of coal for $6.50 per 40lb bag this year.

VtFarmboy

Post by VtFarmboy » Fri. Dec. 27, 2013 10:01 pm

Thanks Whisle. I know where they are but didn't know they had Coal. I will check them out. I am in White River Jct so its not far at all. I went up to Montpelier because it was 2.50/(50lb bag) a bag cheaper. If I buy 20 or so at a time it certainly saves more than the gas to get there.
whistlenut wrote:Going South In West Lebanon, NH, exit 19 on i-89 LongAcres Nursery, call them; they a considerable cheaper than West Leb Feed and it is Reading. Rice, Pea, Nut and Stove. Easy in, easy out, fork trucks everywhere, and they say thank you!

VtFarmboy

Post by VtFarmboy » Sat. Dec. 28, 2013 10:31 am

I have discovered something over the last night. Not all bagged coal is alike. Friday I purchased 20 bags (50lb) from Black Rock Coal in East Montpelier. I had been getting my coal from West Lebanon Feed and supply. This stuff from black rock seems to burn much hotter and is a lot cleaner. Not nearly so much or as many wood chunks and stuff in the bag. Not saying there isn't any but it certainly is noticeably cleaner. It seems to burn hotter so I kept my damper closed more and got a much longer and better burn out of the coal. My wife who is usually wrapped up in 40 layers on a hot summer day was taking her clothes off because she was to warm last night. The price compared to the 12.50 a bag I was paying is better but I know you can get 50lb bags for less somewhere else in the area. Black Rock charges 10 dollars a bag. I would say however that I doubt its better than this stuff. I cant stress how much better this really is.

voltman
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harmen TLC 2000

Post by voltman » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 8:44 am

O.C.Mcuins in Highgate has it for 355 a pallet 2400# 60 bags of Blashack Coal it don't matter the size. And wright's family farm (Black Dimand Coal) is also the same price in Georgia VT. The Tractor supply also sells coal I think tags there were 50 pounds each but not sure on a price per pallet because the person could not figure it out but she said it would be cheaper 7 dollars a bag they were asking.

Davian

Post by Davian » Mon. Oct. 13, 2014 7:58 pm

I spoke to Tractor Supply in Shelburne and their manager said they do not expect to get any Kimmel Coal in but they "think" they can order it by the pallet at the $4.99 per bag price if anyone wants it. Montpelier and Plattsburgh both have it in stock (in both Rice and Nut sizes) but St. Albans is also "out of stock" per him. Montpelier told me that they could and likely would get more if they sold out and I expect they will in short order given that its a $2 a bag discount over my other dealer.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”