Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. Oct. 21, 2012 5:41 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote:No tax added here in Connecticut. :D
They did try last year to start taxing heating fuels .. keep an eye out

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Sun. Oct. 21, 2012 9:57 pm

Yanche wrote:
lsayre wrote: Hmm, I buy stuff on Ebay out of state.. I don't pay sales tax on it. I think its all good. Am I suppose to report to my state that I bought something out of state and now I wanna pay tax on it hahahaha :yearight:
Tax on Internet sales is different. Each state has slightly different rules. You can look up your states rules here:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/50-state-g ... -laws.html

Many states require Internet sales tax when the vendor has an in-state presence. What defines a presence depends on how you states sales tax laws are written. Using the work "nexus" in the law broadens the vendors that must collect.

It's just a matter of time before most or all states will be collecting Internet sales tax. Amazon just started collecting tax on CA sales. Rumor has it Amazon is proposing to large states they will collect sales tax if they get preferred treatment in locating distribution centers near large cities. The apparent master plan is to offer same day delivery on Amazon orders. Place your order by 10 AM and you get it the same day. Product comes from a local distribution center and delivered by a local delivery service. If they pull it off, it will change the face of all retail sales. Local stores are toast, especially those without large Internet sales also.

steamup
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

Post by steamup » Sun. Oct. 21, 2012 10:32 pm

This thread wouldn't be complete without a rendition of the Beatle's classic:

Coal Cooker

Post by Coal Cooker » Mon. Oct. 22, 2012 10:05 pm

To One Dollar

Where are you buying your coal in Massachusetts?

Any company in Massachusetts selling energy like wood, coal, fuel oil, kerosene etc are not allowed to collect sales tax.

It's on the State web site "Not allowed to charge sales tax" Go back and get your money back.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Tue. Oct. 23, 2012 6:41 am

CC
I bought 4 bags (200lbs of coal) from North East Nursery in Peabody last year. I remember I was taxed on those bags. Hardly worth the gas money, let alone the time to dig out a receipt and go get a refund for $2-3.

Another member and I split a ton last year and I know we did not get charged tax on that transaction. The other coal I have purchased has been from private sales or I picked up for free from Craigslist.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”