Just Got Load of Coal

ihatewood

Post by ihatewood » Fri. Oct. 12, 2012 9:17 pm

Just got my first load of rice coal from EIO waste solutions or back moutain coal in Dallas PA. little over 3 tons, $645.00 will be firing Harman magnum stocker Sunday morning, little nervous about the CO thing,want to be awake to monitor, digital detector 6 ft from stove, just hooked up all the stack pipe and installed Manometer below baro, hope all goes well, just switched this year from wood, no time, labor etc. we shall see.

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Fri. Oct. 12, 2012 9:20 pm

howw much per ton? And was it delivered?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Oct. 12, 2012 9:48 pm

Make sure you screw all your pipes together. Shall see, my ass, you're going to be a happy camper. I burnt wood for 50 yrs from when I was pretty young. This is my 4th year on coal. Yep, a happy camper indeed. Just remember, it ain't magic. (close, but not quite) Any situations/ questions come up---ASK ;)

ihatewood

Post by ihatewood » Fri. Oct. 12, 2012 10:01 pm

215 a ton delivered, yes all screws in place will post pic if I can get some time, wish I was firing this thing tonight , gone be a cold one! will update on sunday on performance of stove, hooked up thermostat, will see how this works also, oh its like bringing home a new baby the anticipation of it all. will most likely have some questions, so please keep your ears on for them.This board rocks has a wealth of info.

ihatewood

Post by ihatewood » Fri. Oct. 12, 2012 10:04 pm

Oh one more thing I will be lighting this thing with one of those coal mice magnisum any thoughts?

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post by Wiz » Fri. Oct. 12, 2012 10:05 pm

Your going to enjoy burning coal, no more headaches and back pain with wood. I've used wood for the past 2 yrs and this is first year burning coal in a long time. I'm a happy camper and winter isn't even here yet :P

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post by Wiz » Fri. Oct. 12, 2012 10:09 pm

ihatewood wrote:Oh one more thing I will be lighting this thing with one of those coal mice magnisum any thoughts?

Some people like using them, I've did read that at times they don't work. I use crushed charcoal rapped up in a loose fit newspaper. Add more charcoal once you get a good hot bed started and start adding coal

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Oct. 13, 2012 4:49 am

Well, you've invested in a good thing. I'm secretly hoping that you have a bit of difficulty getting it lit because that will be the last time you spend any amount of time with the unit....other than staring and soaking up the warmth. :) No more constant loading , no more killing spiders as they awaken & creep off the wood, no more hot, cold, hot, cold as you easily have with wood. Ahhhhhh, you're going to like this ride.

CO is a concern, not a worry. About the only way you'd have a CO issue with that stove is if you let the stove pipe get clogged with fly ash. The ol' rule of thumb is after 30 days shut it down & check and clean all horizontal pipes, up swinging elbows or tees, and the clean out of the chimney. That first inspection teaches you how often it might need to be done. Some people can go 6 months or a whole year, others need to clean their pipes a bit more often. If (when) you change type of coal, do another 30 day inspection. Different coal makes different amounts of fly ash.

Last tip: Take care when you empty the ashes. With a little neglect you can make a dusty mess of it. Perhaps an ash pan cover, perhaps just careful handling, but if you jerk the ash pan out, bang it across the room, drop it....arghhhhhhh!

Enjoy!

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Sat. Oct. 13, 2012 6:17 am

yes its important to have good tight joints on flue connections. another option is band clamps, instead of screws. Example: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDeta ... 0361109387 These are what I use, SS and easy to remove with no holes getting worn out over time.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”