When Do You Purchase Your Coal for the Year??

when do you purchase your anthracite coal? *New Options*

January
No votes
February
No votes
March
No votes
April
3%
May
No votes
June
7%
July
7%
August
20%
September
10%
October
17%
November
No votes
December
No votes
*I purchase small amounts as needed
10%
Truck load January
No votes
TL February
No votes
TL March
No votes
TL April
No votes
TL May
7%
TL June
3%
TL July
7%
TL August
7%
TL September
No votes
TL October
3%
TL November
No votes
TL December
No votes

Total votes: 30

qbwebb

Post by qbwebb » Tue. Oct. 09, 2012 8:04 pm

I bought 24 ton in spring of 11 for $260/ton including delivery, took 6 weeks to take delivery. The same supplier I bought from then is now priced at $295 ton + delivery. You should add an option(s) for those of us that keep multi year supplies on hand, that would be pretty interesting to see.

plumber
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Other Heating: Biasi B-4 oil boiler

Post by plumber » Tue. Oct. 09, 2012 8:17 pm

For me it's when I get the darn money! I just took a trip to Jeddo and picked up 5.5 tons. Hope to do it earlier next year, although it is beautiful this time of year.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Tue. Oct. 09, 2012 8:37 pm

[quote="plumber"]For me it's when I get the darn money! I to struggle with the money, but each year I am able to get the cash together sooner and sooner, I guess they call that planning :oops: Just don't tell my bride I am learning how to plan. I have 6000lbs in the coal barn and another 2500 lbs I let a coworker take on credt. I still could not help myself and purchased another 7200 lbs for myself and another 2400lbs in case the guy at work wanted more. I am trying to increase my volume with the guys I split the TL load with. People often ask me "Doesn't it go bad ?"
I tell them it has been in the ground a few million years so a couple of more probably won't spoil it. I have a barn full of Dinosaurs or young diamonds :P

labman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman mk II
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by labman » Wed. Oct. 10, 2012 9:12 am

We bought 15 ton last October @ $200.00 per ton. That should get us through 5 years.

DennisH
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon-Eagle Klondike IV
Other Heating: Propane

Post by DennisH » Thu. Oct. 11, 2012 9:18 pm

I have 12 skids of coal available (5 in my basement, 5 stacked outside, 2 still @ my dealer) for consumption. My goal is to always have a 4-5 year supply of coal on hand, and with what I have it should last that long at the rate I consume it. I place my order for my coal for the coming winter in April of the year (and pay for it up front) and then move it from my dealer to my house a couple skids at a time. This year I paid $360/2400# skid by purchasing in April. For being located in Michigan and far from NEPA, I think that's a pretty good price. But just like any other commodity that is bulky and used in quantity (say wood for example), if you heat with coal IMHO you should have THIS winter's coal on hand early on (spring or early summer) and be looking to buy NEXT year's coal as soon as the heating season is coming to an end.

Pocono Pete
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing 111
Coal Size/Type: Rice Anthracite

Post by Pocono Pete » Thu. Oct. 11, 2012 11:29 pm

DennisH, I agree with you $360.00 per skid 2400# is a very good price living in Michigan. I live in NEPA and have been paying $360 per skid for the last 3 years. I don't know how people that live further away from where the coal is mined can pay the same amount and in some cases less than someone who lives within 100 miles from where it is produced. This was one of the main reasons I built a coal bin and get bulk delivered it's alot cheaper. Maybe the dealers selling bagged coal in my area will lower their prices if enough people start buying in bulk.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”