Best Anthracite Coal Prices in Massachusetts

Post by Guest » Sun. May. 22, 2005 4:36 pm

I live in central Massachusetts. I'm looking for a better price/ ton for bagged anthracite than I'm currently paying, currently $215/ton. I use about 4 tons/season and would consider buying two seasons worth in a single delivery if there is a price incentive. Where can I get the best price for quality anthracite? I'm currently using Blaschak coal.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. May. 22, 2005 7:15 pm

Bag coal will always be more than buying in bulk, actually that sounds like a pretty good price. You wouldn't be able to get it here much cheaper here in bags.

Post by Guest » Sun. Aug. 28, 2005 9:53 pm

we are in central NH and your price sounds ok to me. years ago we paid $80/ton. now oil is up and evereyone is going back to basics.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Aug. 29, 2005 7:39 pm

It's made in the good 'ol USA too, locally in my case. 8)

wg_bent

Post by wg_bent » Wed. Sep. 21, 2005 12:12 am

So how much do you get for bulk coal a ton?

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Sep. 21, 2005 4:16 am

Prices vary according to quantity and delivery area, locally prices are starting at about $125 per ton, to pick it up yourself is about $115 per ton. (note: I won't be providing the info on where you can do this for the rest of the heating season so please don't ask). Currently bag coal prices in the area are hovering around $6 per 40lb. bag which would come out to $300 per ton. :shock:

Looking at the map, delivery to Poughkeepsie would be in the $220 range. That would be for a hi-lift delivery which if you need the coal where the top of the bin is above ground level the hi-lift would be required. We don't shovel coal, wheel barrow, bucket or move coal in any other way than by chute. (we will move it around in the bin if necessary, most of that can be done by chute.)

Currently we're exploring the possibilities of delivering to areas such as yours for customers who want it on the ground or ground level windows. This is going to require investment in regular dump-type truck. The hi-lift takes up too much weight so it reduces the amount of coal we can carry quite a bit, we'll be able to provide a reasonable price for deliveries such as that where the lift is not needed.

wg_bent

Post by wg_bent » Wed. Sep. 21, 2005 1:36 pm

A little tidbit...In the last 2 weeks, per ton coal went from 190/ton to 210 here in Poughkeepsie.

Bunky

Post by Bunky » Fri. Sep. 23, 2005 1:53 pm

Everything is going up. Especially after this hurricane rips apart Texas. Stock up on your coal now, some say. But I don't see a price jump that obscene as w/the gas. Many are too lazy to covert to coal. They don't realize how easy it really is. Their savings don't outway their 2 minutes to empty out the ashes. But we know better :wink:
Figure the $ saved & the time taken to maintain it & pay yourself by the hour. How much would you make? @ least 100-200 savings/mo w/1 hr per week labor roughly. So you'd make between 25 & 50/hr to use coal. Sounds good to me. :)

SenecaFallsNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by SenecaFallsNY » Sat. Oct. 29, 2005 8:08 am

The place that I buy from in Ovid, NY currently charges:
$200 / ton bagged pick-up
$185 / ton bulk delivery *
$170 / ton bulk pick-up

* I think there is a delivery charge on top of the bulk delivery rate, but I'm not sure what it is since I buy by the bag.

em

Post by em » Sat. Oct. 29, 2005 8:58 pm

I paid $118.00 per ton rice coal (delivered) the 2nd week of October.

George

Post by George » Sat. Oct. 29, 2005 10:03 pm

I paid $153 a ton delivered to N/W New Jersey (Newton area) by a PA coal company, it was probibly an hours drive for them. The local gas station sells bagged coal for $13 for 70LBs.

The same local gas station wanted $220 a ton for bulk delivery (non bag).

BTW, I'm loving the coal heat, should've done it years ago!

smitty

Post by smitty » Sun. Oct. 30, 2005 8:54 am

$275/ton bagged in central MA now. I Just picked up 2 tons yesterday, a bit west of Worcester, for $267.60/ ton (or $6.69 per 50# bag).

Everything is getting up there now---You can't win, especially if your stuck in yuppieville Massachusetts!! :lol:

Joseph

Post by Joseph » Sun. Oct. 30, 2005 11:15 pm

I live in Central CT and just got a delivery of bagged coal for $200 per ton, plus $44.00 delivery charge.

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » Thu. Nov. 03, 2005 5:33 pm

Can some of you who posted give the name and location of where you purchased the coal? I'm in SE Mass and our source just went out of business.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Nov. 03, 2005 8:00 pm

Suzanne wrote:Can some of you who posted give the name and location of where you purchased the coal? I'm in SE Mass and our source just went out of business.
Sorry to hear that but as I mentioned above this forum is not here to provide what amounts to free adverising for other dealers or coal suppliers. Having said that I think this thread has run it's course and I'm going to lock it.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”