How Many Tons in a Large Dump-Truck?

gorpot

Post by gorpot » Mon. Sep. 10, 2012 8:16 am

I live on a narrow dead end road with no place for a tractor trailer to turn around. I was thinking about getting a load of bulk coal delivered from a coal dealer from PA. As mentioned I could not get a track trailer load but would like the largest load possible from a hugh dump truck. All you trucking experts from this site, tell me how many tons could be put on a large dump truck. Thanks, Gordon

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Mon. Sep. 10, 2012 8:23 am

That mostly depends on the weight of the truck & what load weights are allowed in your area, the tri=axle dump that I used to drive with an aluminum box could haul just shy of 25 ton with a legal weight of (if I even remember right) 73,280 lbs.

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354 and a 254
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by buffalo bob » Mon. Sep. 10, 2012 8:37 am

around here they usually send the tri axles out from the scales with 24 ton on wish I had that much would last 5 years

steamup
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

Post by steamup » Mon. Sep. 10, 2012 9:53 am

The legal weight of the truck is one thing. How it gets to your property may be another.

Also check the local laws for maximum truck and axle weights. Many towns post max weight for roads (local delivery is sometimes exempt). Some towns post weight restrictions during certain times of the year (mostly spring) to limit damage to roads when the ground is soft.

It would be a problem if you have a weight posted bridge that limits access to your property. Likewise, a low underpass could cause issues.

None of these things may apply, but you should check it out.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Sep. 10, 2012 10:00 am

Great points above...make sure your location is accessible by a 40 ton dump truck. If it is...call the boys at Jeddo and ask if they can arrange a tri-axle delivery.

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Mon. Sep. 10, 2012 10:41 am

I hired a tri-axle out of Connecticut twice to pick up my PA coal. 18 tons per trip....legally. If his body was a little larger he could of hauled more so I'm told. I still have the scale receipts somewhere, one from Calvin V Lenig the other from UAE Harmony.

I just called my trucker. He said the body on his truck was 28x7.5x6. That by my calculations would be 46.7 yards. Now I just have to fact check that against the average weight of a yard of coal time 48.7 and see if it is in the ball park of 18 tons. When I find the standard weight per yard I will update this post. My point being because his truck was sized for hauling gravel and stone his body is a bit smaller than a tri-axle that was sized right for coal which is lighter for it's volume.

EDIT: OK, These numbers where making no sense to me. Looked up tri-axles for sale and got body dimensions that are much different from what my trucker told me on the cell phone. He must of misunderstood my question and gave me dimensions for a tractor trailer dump body. Most of the tri-axle bodyies where around 17' which makes more sense 17x7.5x6 would be more like 28 yards times 1350 lbs per yard would equal 18.9 tons. Weight per yard can vary some but those figures are ball park for a full BODY.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”