Coal Shopping

Got Coal? You can make dealer inquiries here for both anthracite and bituminous coal. Co-op information for those looking to purchase in bulk as a group. Reviews on different brands and dealers.
stumpknocker
Stove/Furnace Make: Wood Boss
Stove/Furnace Model: air tight

Post Sat. Sep. 08, 2012 12:29 pm

I have a trailer & a diesel dually, I'm looking to buy stove & nut coal for my own use, I don't mind traveling a hundred miles if the price is right. So does anyone know where can I get bagged coal at a reasonable price? Thanks :?:

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post Sat. Sep. 08, 2012 12:46 pm

Movin this to the "Coal Prices, Coal Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries and Reviews" forum.

------------

I guess the big question is where are you located at? You can purchase in bulk from most breakers at much lower cost than bagged.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

- Albert Einstein

stumpknocker
Stove/Furnace Make: Wood Boss
Stove/Furnace Model: air tight

Post Sat. Sep. 08, 2012 1:02 pm

I'm Near Gettysburg Pa. I have a 12' long by 7' wide 12000lb gross dump trailer. So I guess I'm gonna consider bulk, but really wanted bags THANKS

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Post Sat. Sep. 08, 2012 1:14 pm

Bagged coal is around $230-$240 per ton, and anyone selling just a few tons is going to have mark up above that. Bulk is $170-180 per ton at most places.

On page three of the thread I linked below there is some good information

Coal Trip to NEPA

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post Sat. Sep. 08, 2012 1:18 pm

I'm not trying to steer you away from bags but if you're traveling here into coal country the cost for the bags aren't a whole lot less than they are elsewhere. If you're going to make the trip it's only worth it for bulk.

One thing I will warn you about at this time of the year is to make sure wherever you go you call ahead of time to make sure they are selling to the general public. Supply starts to get tight at this time of the year sometimes and the public is the first to get off. ;)
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

- Albert Einstein

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: anthracite/rice coal

Post Sat. Sep. 08, 2012 9:17 pm

I see you list your alternatiive fuel system as a "wood boss". I'm not familiar with that unit but from its name I doubt it will burn coal very well. Is thatunit what the coal is for?
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." —General George S. Patton

Burning rice coal in a 1981 EFM DF520, nut coal in a hand fired Jotul 507.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”