Coal Trip to NEPA

I dig coal

Post by I dig coal » Mon. Sep. 03, 2012 11:16 am

The easiest and closest breaker to get to from up north is Hudson. Their coal is deep mined good quality.

plumber
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Other Heating: Biasi B-4 oil boiler

Post by plumber » Fri. Sep. 07, 2012 8:09 am

So, any suggestions on where to go or where to stay away from?
I'm going to get rice for my LL110

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Fri. Sep. 07, 2012 10:20 pm

What road are you coming in on? 84??? 78???? 80??? Is this something you are going to do year after year, or a one time shot?

plumber

Post by plumber » Sat. Sep. 08, 2012 5:32 am

Most likely I'll be coming down on 84. I'll be making the trip every year

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sat. Sep. 08, 2012 9:07 am

Most of the breakers have pretty decent coal. If it was your only time coming down I would suggest going right to the Harmony mine. But,,,,,,, each breaker is sort of cool in their own way and every year would bring an opportunity to check out another breaker. I have made speed runs down to different breakers and nothing is worse than to drive forever, get out and load up , turn around and go home with a drive that lasts forever. The ride from R.I. is a long one. The guys that work the breakers are a real friendly bunch and most will spend a little time with you and talk their trade. That's if they are not busy. At UAE, they are usually busy so it's all business. If you get lucky and go there when no one's there, they will talk too!
Another consideration is the wear and tear on your rig. Extended tows and big hills are rig killers. Breakers closer to the highway are better for long term rig health. One of my best times was a run down with forum member Coalburner to Calvin Lenigs. The ride was spectacular and the breaker was interesting as hell. He also took me to the Superior breaker. Very interesting place! But those places , along with UAE are quite a ways off the highway and involve long hard climbs and long hard braking. Rig killers.
What I have been finding out is there are plenty of breakers, closer to the highway, that sell pretty good coal, sometimes quite a bit cheaper. Jeddo is one, Hudson is another. Someone gave me a sample of Kassy Kassa a week ago and it is impressive. Burns hotter and doesn't fill the ash tubs. A winner in my book. Something that needs a better try.
Coal history is one reason to try several sources also. There are different coal mine tours that are near different breakers. Also coal museum by the Hudson breaker area. My favorite was to go to Harmony and catch the Mine tour in Ashland on the way down. I have to admit that the red ash coal area has more to offer than the white ash area. The Pottsville area has the Yeugling factory tour, the coal boiler factory tours, the old mine tours, the Centralia experience, the breaker tours. The northern white ash area has great coal but the opportunities to check out the coal related stuff is limited to the museum and old coal mine tours. I haven't been to those yet.
I guess if there was a recomendation of where to go, it would really involve how much time you have. More time, go to UAE. Check out some coal area stuff. Less time, less money, less tear on rigs, go to the Kassy Kassa or the Jeddo. This is all stuff I can recommend. I do have a 10,000 lb. trailer that has worn off three sets of tires and broke down badly several times. Try to time your runs so that you are not going thru Scranton / Willkesbarre area during rush hour. Noon untill two is a good window and after six seem to work better with the road constuction there being an issue.
Good luck on your trip and don't forget your spare tire or two and a bottle jack to change a flat. Keep the speed down and you will be a winner! Also because this is a two page thread, you are REQUIRED to take plenty of pictures and post them as soon as you arive back home. Note* these pics must be of anything other than your truck/rig full of coal. Ok,,,,it will also work if you have those too. :D

plumber

Post by plumber » Sat. Sep. 08, 2012 9:35 am

I will defanatly take lots of pics, or should I say my wife will. I was on the fence but she talked me into the trip. I think it will be worth it just for the experiance. My trip will be delayed a couple weeks as I need to go though my trairt brakes. Glad I figured that out now!

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sat. Sep. 08, 2012 9:37 am

WOW! Scott has shortened the learning curve you 1 year in one post!!!!
That was a lucid, kind, humorous and helpful commentary on REAL WORLD coal experiences!!!!! He does have a sense of humor folks, and that post is just a small part of the 'Boy from Malta'

All GREAT advice.....and one of the reasons I have had TT's loads delivered for over 42 seasons. You can't beat excellence, and that is my opinion of the PA guys who have trucked for me and my friends.
The only way to make it more personal is to do the trucking yourself; note I didn't say "More Cost Effective", just more personal. I love the adventure, also, but choose to do it in a 'rubber tired tourin' car!
Having said that, there sure is adequate parking for your truck/trailer combo if you desire to accept the driving experience. ABSOLUTELY note the rush hour and construction advise of 'Malta Boy'
because that is the other season in PA: Construction Season....Jersey Barricade Season.....oh wait, some of those lane changes have been active for 15 years...why rush into anything...... :woot: :eek2: :help: :drunk: :blah:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Sep. 08, 2012 10:23 am

Great post from Scott...print it out and tack it next to the bin.

My family will hit the "100 tons burned" mark at the end of this season, and we still haven't hauled a single piece ourselves. Two years ago we did make the "touring car" trip to coal country, took the tour in Ashland, went through the museum, drank a lot of Yuengling, and really enjoyed ourselves. Someday I would like to make the trip down in my truck and visit a few breakers just to meet the crew and see what it is all about, and maybe I will bring back a ton of something special...but until then I will stick with my current method - Place phone call to coal co. send check, call trucker, unload a few days later.

This load of bagged coal came on Wednesday, it cost me $2.44 per mile to have 22.5 tons delivered. There is no way I can even come close to that cost with my own truck and trailer.

whistlenut

Post by whistlenut » Sat. Sep. 08, 2012 10:31 am

Nice stash....and can you offer a GPR coordinate range...and leave the keys in that 'Lull'???? Aren't you going to be away for a few days? :D :shock: :idea: :lol: :lol:
I like your thinkin', too! Let's face it, we are a looooong way from the PA Black Gold, so it is easier if you are only a couple hundred miles tops. ..... Buck? hmmmmmm. That won't burn in an EFM...better get rid of it while you can.....LOL
Did you get a couple cases of the 'brew from Pottsville' stashed in the cab of the delivery truck?
Last edited by whistlenut on Sat. Sep. 08, 2012 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Sep. 08, 2012 10:32 am

Does that really say buck? :doh:

whistlenut

Post by whistlenut » Sat. Sep. 08, 2012 10:33 am

I just assumed you have a 'nickname' of BUCK!

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Sep. 08, 2012 10:40 am

With all of the requisite warnings on everything these days, perhaps it says "DUCK"? :flush:

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Sep. 08, 2012 11:05 pm

freetown fred wrote:Hell plumber, that hotel/gas cost is a ton of coal--but, like Lisa said, nice trip & anyone that can--should--do it that is ;) Nice trailer W'nC--what do you use for sides & how much can you put in it.--Ya gotta love the Dave's of the world.
For details on the trailer you have to ask the owner:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1318

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Mon. Sep. 10, 2012 8:50 am

Wood'nCoal wrote:Gee, I'm popular here today!

No more rental trailers for me Lisa since my good friend Dave bought a dump trailer. He lets me use it, which I appreciate very much!
DSCN0807.JPG
These are an excellent choice for any srw pickup with a heavy trailer, I have them on my own truck: http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/susco ... -bags.html

burner_boy14

Post by burner_boy14 » Tue. Sep. 11, 2012 9:29 am

Hey guys! Just picked up my usual yearly load of 4 ton rice coal from Hudson. I have been burning hudsons coal for well over 5 years now and have never been disappointed. Despite last years shortage it looks like (from what I saw at Hudson) they wont be having that problem this year! Plus it was very easy to find.. only 7 minutes off interstate 81 just south of scranton. I had to throw this up here as they have been great to me all these years id figure id return the favor. Plus knowing what it takes to get ur hands on good coal I figured you all would like to know where to find it! The number down there is 570-655-4151. Ask for Joe

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”