Coal Trip to NEPA

mattcoalburner
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading Juniata

Post by mattcoalburner » Tue. Oct. 09, 2012 2:29 pm

Yes, there is a place easy access right off interstate 81 called earth and fire supply, there coal burns beautifully, give them a call 570-668-3802

plumber
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Other Heating: Biasi B-4 oil boiler

Post by plumber » Tue. Oct. 09, 2012 2:39 pm

Returned from your beautiful state last night with 5 1/2 tons of Jeddo rice. Lets see how the Leisure Line likes it.
The ride home was slow, y'all have some massive hills! All for the better, I couldn't get any speed until I hit Connecticut, and once I did my trailer was unstable. I had one swaying incident that required new underwear, then decided to take it off the highway. I was fine under 50, but over that the trailer was not happy. Kind of stumped why, but right now I'm thinking either my pintle hook or the ring on the trailer may be worn. I seem to have a lot of slop. My wife took a lot of pics, ill have to figure out how to upload them. While there we went on the #9 mine tour, that was pretty cool. On the way there and back on RT 93 I was so glad I wasn't pulling the trailer, I'm originally from Colorado, and I can't believe the grades on your roads!

plumber

Post by plumber » Tue. Oct. 09, 2012 8:52 pm

Flyer5 wrote:
plumber wrote:Wow, Pennsylvania is beautiful! Is there anything to do or good places to eat around Hazleton??
You can stop in for a visit to our factory,We are only 20 min from hazelton. Dave
I'll plan to make a stop to see you and Matt my next trip out. This trip was poorly planed and last minute. I was planning it for a while, but kept hitting snags that delayed me. I took the opportunity when I could. Still we enjoyed our short stay in NEPA.

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Wed. Oct. 10, 2012 8:03 am

Plumber,those neat little Penna hills caused me to rethink my trailer.Even though I used to haul only a ton and a quarter it used to be without trailer brakes.All is updated to brakes now and it makes for no white knuckles or sweating foreheads. What kind of trailer do you have? Can you post a picture? My limited experience with swaying is that it can be caused by how the weight is placed in the trailer and also very important is the relationship between total load and hitch weight.I am sure there are some trailer safety sites that could expand on the problem. Mike

plumber

Post by plumber » Wed. Oct. 10, 2012 9:09 am

Modify Trailer/Coal Bin

Photo of my trailer.

plumber

Post by plumber » Wed. Oct. 10, 2012 9:11 am

I've read a lot of conflicting information about the stability of pintle hitches. Most state not a good idea for a single rear wheel truck. I'm thinking of seeing if I can modify the trailer to a ball type with a weight distribution setup or better yet a gooseneck.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Wed. Oct. 10, 2012 5:13 pm

plumber wrote:I've read a lot of conflicting information about the stability of pintle hitches. Most state not a good idea for a single rear wheel truck. I'm thinking of seeing if I can modify the trailer to a ball type with a weight distribution setup or better yet a gooseneck.
That should do the trick. Once you've properly set up the WDH with the correct set of spring bars, it should trailer flat and steady. Keep the front wheel wells at the same distance from the ground as they are when the tow vehicle is unloaded and you'll be surprized how well it will track and brake as well. Keeping the front axle properly loaded makes maximum use of the larger front brake system - especiall when loaded up! Works for me.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Fri. Oct. 12, 2012 2:19 am

plumber wrote:Returned from your beautiful state last night with 5 1/2 tons of Jeddo rice. Lets see how the Leisure Line likes it.
The ride home was slow, y'all have some massive hills! All for the better, I couldn't get any speed until I hit Connecticut, and once I did my trailer was unstable. I had one swaying incident that required new underwear, then decided to take it off the highway. I was fine under 50, but over that the trailer was not happy. Kind of stumped why, but right now I'm thinking either my pintle hook or the ring on the trailer may be worn. I seem to have a lot of slop. My wife took a lot of pics, ill have to figure out how to upload them. While there we went on the #9 mine tour, that was pretty cool. On the way there and back on RT 93 I was so glad I wasn't pulling the trailer, I'm originally from Colorado, and I can't believe the grades on your roads!
As someone who hauls a lot of weight with a pintle hitch and an SRW pickup, I can tell you that slop is not the problem, it doesn't help, but it makes little difference if the trailer is loaded with enough tongue weight and the truck is sitting more or less level when loaded. If the trailer doesn't have enough tongue weight or your truck's nose is pointing up in the air, you won't have a stable experience above 50 or 60 mph.

plumber

Post by plumber » Fri. Oct. 12, 2012 6:25 am

Berlin, do you have any hints how to accomplish getting everything level with no wdh?

mattcoalburner
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading Juniata

Post by mattcoalburner » Fri. Oct. 12, 2012 7:16 am

You shouldve told me you were coming, next time your coming let me know, I will give you some suggestions on things to see, a couple of breakers, some old underground mine muesums, where to get the best coal. though jeddo is not bad coal by any means, but there is better. There are also many sites in Jim Thorpe. Like I said next time you travel to the area Let me know!!

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Fri. Oct. 12, 2012 1:56 pm

Berlin wrote:
Wood'nCoal wrote:Gee, I'm popular here today!

No more rental trailers for me Lisa since my good friend Dave bought a dump trailer. He lets me use it, which I appreciate very much!
DSCN0807.JPG
These are an excellent choice for any srw pickup with a heavy trailer, I have them on my own truck: http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/susco ... -bags.html
I have the diesel engine in my truck which helps add weight to the front end, but, if I have to load the tongue very heavy, I also throw weight in the front of the truck bed to help keep it level.

plumber

Post by plumber » Fri. Oct. 12, 2012 2:06 pm

Berlin, thanks for the link.
I have a diesel as well, in a SRW f-350. I front loaded the trailer and had a little over a ton in the bed of the truck piled up to the front as much as I could. It still seemed like my nose was too high. I don't really know, this is the first time I've towed with a pintle.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”