Jeddo Coal in Ebervale ... Question

bsteckel
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA600

Post by bsteckel » Wed. Aug. 22, 2012 6:16 pm

For those who drive there to get your coal ... what do they use to load your truck or trailer? I am thinking of using those woven super sacks to hold my coal. Do you think they would be able to fill them? I am new to coal and unsure of what equipment they use to load there. My plan was to load the sacks on a trailer and bring them home all filled up. The seond part of this question is what ideas do you have to get the sacks off the trailer. I will be using an equipment trailer, low sides, wood floor and worst of all just ramps to off load. I do not have a forklift, but might be able to borrow one. I do have a pallet jack, but don't want to get run over by a 1 ton sack of coal that gets away from me... my other thought was maybe use an engine hoist to offload them from the trailer, then use my pallet jack to bring them into the garage.

any ideas?

thanks in advance...

Brad

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Aug. 22, 2012 6:26 pm

I was there last year with my dump truck for 5+ tons of coal. They loaded it with a huge loader, didn't even take a full scoop to load the truck. They loaded several other trucks the same way. The breaker may have chutes but I didn't get real close to see. I would recommend that you call the mine and discuss it with them, they'll have the answer for you. The people there are real nice and the coal is great, enjoy!.

bsteckel

Post by bsteckel » Wed. Aug. 22, 2012 6:58 pm

thanks for the info .. I am working on my garage addition and hoping to have everything ready to fire up the Van Wert I bought .. will give them a call and see what they say.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Wed. Aug. 22, 2012 7:05 pm

Call them first!! If they had a fork truck, you can slide the 2 lifting straps on each fork, pick it high enough to fill and the loader can dump into the bags....then load them on the trailer.
Understand they are NOT in business for your convenience, so thinking that they will be able to 'play sandbox 101' with you is an unrealistic expectation.
I've done super sacks for 2 years now, and it isn't as much fun as you might think. I have a fork truck, bagger, and a large tractor to load and unload.
If you think you have 'bag enough' to hold the bags in position while the 6 yd bucket hurls 3 ton at you, you have been smokin' some funny stuff.
They will fold inward and you will be buried under coal and smooshed bags.
Steve at Blashak has built a beauty of a bulk bag filling station. Other than that, I'm going to pee on your parade.
Buy it bulk...or bagged, don't count on them being set up for your request.
The bag filled weighs one ton, and we put a pallet under each bag to keep them stable during transit. We also have pallet jacks for difficult area.....
A fork truck or tractor will move the pallet and sacks, but we also have noticed the ease with which you can punch a hole in the sturdy bags.
$20.00 a pop, so do your homework, and don't expect any special favors.
Are They nice? Sure, but 40 or 50 pounder's make the job very user friendly.....machinery friendly, and storage friendly. The ball is in your court.....don't fumble it! :idea: :!: :shock:

bsteckel

Post by bsteckel » Wed. Aug. 22, 2012 7:39 pm

since this is my first experience with coal, I was not sure how they loaded it onto people''s pickups, small trailers, etc. .. I thought they must have something smaller than a large front end loader but was not sure. I was hoping they had some sore of bin like a grain storage maybe that would make filling bags a piece of cake, or even a type of chute. I can always have a guy deliver to the house and fill the bags off the coal truck chute, but I was hoping to find a way to get it myself and save money. Saving the delivery charge would buy me more coal. I only live less than 30 min from Ebervale. If I could get the bags filled there, when I got home I could use a large engine hoist I have to pick up the bags by the handles and get them off the trailer. Whistlenut, have you ever been to Ebervale and seen how they load for people?

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Wed. Aug. 22, 2012 8:59 pm

I have been to Jeddo. Last year for the first time. The coal burns well and has low ash. They do load with monster loaders. As much as you think they can, they will try to hep you the best they can. But,, how much can they do with 12 foot long buckets. Maybe a good idea that might work for you would build a 2 foot high side around the equipmint trailer. I made one and just spiked the sides down on the wood bed. I made mine so I could reuse them every year. they have lasted 4 so far. When you get the coal home just pull the trailer where you want and shovel the coal into the big bags with a pallet and a jack underneath. It doesn't take all that long and if it does for you, it can be split into a couple days. I used to put it right into the 50 lb bags right there on the trailer. then threw them off the side. It isn't that big a deal if the sides are low. :)

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Aug. 22, 2012 9:07 pm

Scottscoaled wrote:They do load with monster loaders.
To give you an idea how big the loader is, I was backed up to the coal pile. When he filled my truck with 5.25 tons, I'll bet 2-3 tons went right back in the pile as the truck dump body is no where near as long as the bucket is wide. :)

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Wed. Aug. 22, 2012 9:14 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Scottscoaled wrote:They do load with monster loaders.
To give you an idea how big the loader is, I was backed up to the coal pile. When he filled my truck with 5.25 tons, I'll bet 2-3 tons went right back in the pile as the truck dump body is no where near as long as the bucket is wide. :)
Yeah,,,,, I took a picture and the bucket dwarfed my 18' equipment trailer. The picture didn't do the situation justice. The kid running it was cracking up. :)

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”