Do I Need Really High Quality Coal in a Stoker?

SSS33

Post by SSS33 » Tue. Aug. 21, 2012 3:50 pm

Brand new to coal. Do I need really high quality coal for a stoker? Seems from reading on this forum that the stoker stoves and furnaces are less fussy with what coal they burn. Is this the case? Want to know before I purchase a pile of coal for te season. Thanks

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Aug. 21, 2012 6:22 pm

I want a stoker as I want a once a day, automated, no hassles burn experience. So I bought the best stove (s), install(ed) as per the book, service them regularly and religiously and use the very best coal I can buy. I promise you my friend a compromise in the wrong parameter will bite you in the ass but only when it's minus christ-knows-what degrees and the wind from hell is blowing. Murphy was a hopeless optimist.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Aug. 21, 2012 6:23 pm

They will burn any brand as long as it's HARD Anthracite type coal. Most stokers burn RICE size Coal, some can burn a bit larger Buckwheat size.

What do you consider HIGH QUALITY coal?

Some Mfr's have different ASH content then others and you will get more ash, some is red ash, some is grey ash, etc....
I have burned Reading, Blaschak, superior, etc, and never had a problem with any of them. Just more ash sometimes.

Other may differ on different brands....

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Thu. Aug. 23, 2012 8:28 pm

I ran a hand fed for 28 years, and white ash coal is the way to go. My new Keystoker 90, I prefer red ash which clinkers in hand feds. The red ash does not seem to have as much fly ash as the white ash, keeping my stoves passageways cleaner.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”